Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Oneway Tickets to Barbados??

Oneway Tickets to Barbados??

Old May 23rd 2007, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

Belinda1974 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Oneway Tickets to Barbados??

Ah ok
At the moment it seems that at least I have very good chances to get a job, can´t say more now, but I will definately keep you informed here. I will have my first meetings in July, so let´s see what will happen I am very optimistic!
Old May 24th 2007, 2:00 am
Forum Regular

Bajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really nice

Ok, Belinda, good luck to you and your husband. I look forward to hearing your good news at the appropriate time.

John
Old May 24th 2007, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

trutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud of

There's something that just popped up in my head and I never really thought about..
But what do you do while living in Barbados and your passport runs out?
I'm dutch and as far I know there's no dutch consul thingie.
Do I have to go to a dutch Caribbean Island ?
Old May 24th 2007, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

Hi Cathy,

thats a good question.....I am not sure if there is an Austrian Embassy in Barbados, have to search. You would have the luck that there are Dutch islands, but there are no Austrian islands (unfortunately!!!!)....
Old May 24th 2007, 9:59 am
BE Enthusiast

trutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bajanboy
Belinda:

It is safer (and cheaper) to have return tickets. You best bet would be to make an equiry at the Barbados High Commission in London with regard to immigration matters. They can check with the immigration department if necessary.

John
I reackon is safer, to avoid all the awkward questions at immigration. One of my dutch relatives came to BB on a oneway from Grenada, wanted to stay for a while and move on from there.
He got stopped by immigration was hold for 4 hours and then heard he had to buy a ticket to Holland. He didn't have that amount of money with him so then they told him he could also buy a ticket to a dutch Caribbean Island, so he bought one to St.Maarten altough he didn't have the intention to ever go there. Was then allowed to enter BB, went straight to the travelagency to cancel that ticket to St.Maarten!!!
It's a joke really, but it's also one of the reasons why I love Barbados.
Big fire, little smoke
Old May 24th 2007, 10:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Belinda1974
Hi Cathy,

thats a good question.....I am not sure if there is an Austrian Embassy in Barbados, have to search. You would have the luck that there are Dutch islands, but there are no Austrian islands (unfortunately!!!!)....
As far I know there isn't! It's a bit of a worry, my passport(and kids ones) expires november next year, hopefully going to BB way before that, but what then.....Here they won't give you a new one if the date isn't close to the expire date..
Pfff, another thing to find out

Are you all well Belinda?? It's getting close to juli hey!?
Old May 24th 2007, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

Hi Cathy,

yeah, just 43 days left, I am getting nervous haha
Regarding our passports, the first one (of my daughter) will expire in 2011, and ours 2013 and 2014. So thats away far enough
Old May 24th 2007, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Cathy,

yeah, just 43 days left, I am getting nervous haha
Regarding our passports, the first one (of my daughter) will expire in 2011, and ours 2013 and 2014. So thats away far enough
I bet you are
Do you have a 10 year passport in Austria then? In Holland it's only 5 years
Old May 24th 2007, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

Bajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really nice

As far as passports go, your passport needs to be valid at least as long as you will be in Barbados. So, if you are coming for six months, your passport needs to be valid for at least that long. The airline will not let you travel, otherwise.

Having a valid onward ticket is common to most countries, not just Barbados.
Old May 24th 2007, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

I know for sure that there is an Austrian honourary consul in Barbados, and there is probably is a Dutch one as well. That person can help you with your immigration needs. Although they cannot directly issue passports and visas, they can ensure than you send the passport to the correct diplomatic mission under which Barbados is covered.
Old May 24th 2007, 12:19 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by trutje
There's something that just popped up in my head and I never really thought about..
But what do you do while living in Barbados and your passport runs out?
I'm dutch and as far I know there's no dutch consul thingie.
Do I have to go to a dutch Caribbean Island ?
I have that scenario here .... no Brit High Commission on my island, so I send my passport and application (downloaded from the interenet) via Fed Ex to the High Commission in Barbaods and it normally comes back in about a month.

Then I have to send the new passport to my dh's employer who gets a visa stamp put in it to replace the visa in the old passport.

It all takes about 6 weeks so I plan it for when we're not travelling. Last year both me and dh needed new passports and this year its oldest son and I've just sent it off yesterday
Old May 24th 2007, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bajanboy
I know for sure that there is an Austrian honourary consul in Barbados, and there is probably is a Dutch one as well. That person can help you with your immigration needs. Although they cannot directly issue passports and visas, they can ensure than you send the passport to the correct diplomatic mission under which Barbados is covered.
Hi bajanboy,

thanks again, you are a really great help in this forum

@trutje
Yes, the EURO-passport is for 10 years for adults, 5 years for children. Don´t you have the EURO-passport as well in the Netherlands?? It is the dark red one, maybe you still have the "old" one, the Dutch one? Could this be possible?
Old May 24th 2007, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi bajanboy,

thanks again, you are a really great help in this forum

@trutje
Yes, the EURO-passport is for 10 years for adults, 5 years for children. Don´t you have the EURO-passport as well in the Netherlands?? It is the dark red one, maybe you still have the "old" one, the Dutch one? Could this be possible?
I'm not sure, I got my new passport in 2004, I believe it is the new one though, at the front it says something like europian union...
Both me and the kids is for 5 years. My husband has 10 with his british one.
Old May 24th 2007, 1:21 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm pretty sure all you'll have to do is apply through the Arub/Curacao Consulate, send it there with your renewal application and they'll send it back to you in Barbados.

Just means you'll be without your passport for a few weeks.
Old May 24th 2007, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by islandmom
I have that scenario here .... no Brit High Commission on my island, so I send my passport and application (downloaded from the interenet) via Fed Ex to the High Commission in Barbaods and it normally comes back in about a month.

Then I have to send the new passport to my dh's employer who gets a visa stamp put in it to replace the visa in the old passport.

It all takes about 6 weeks so I plan it for when we're not travelling. Last year both me and dh needed new passports and this year its oldest son and I've just sent it off yesterday
What Island are you on then? It doesn't sound too complicated, just annoying
I know myself, I'll find out by the time we're about to leave for a holiday or something

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.