Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

offshore company and work visas

offshore company and work visas

Old Sep 13th 2010, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

747 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default offshore company and work visas

Hi all. Does anyone know about setting up an offshore company, and obtaining a work permit to run that company? I saw serendipidy's 2006 thread and needed a bit more info if possible. I believe it's possible to set up an International Business Company in Barbados if the company is resident in BGI and the services you are providing are to customers abroad. However does that mean that you can easily obtain a work permit to run the company? The idea we had was to set up an offshore translation company, based in Barbados, and to translate documents for Italian companies in Italy. My wife is Italian. Could my wife therefore get a work visa to run this company and live in Barbados???

Sorry for such a technical question and I hope it makes sense to someone. I am intouch with a descent lawyer on the island however in order to save fees I thought I'd ask the question here first!

Hoep you don't mind and thanks if anyone has any info
Old Sep 13th 2010, 10:37 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: offshore company and work visas

Wow was my thread in 2006 lol

There is information on line about IBC in Barbados

Here are some interesting links: http://www.investbarbados.org/ibc.php

http://www.barbados.org/business/pom...why_an_ibc.htm

for starters

No work permit is guaranteed - especially under the current government - the previous gov was very pro foreign investment - the current one seems to justify itself as an obstacle to foreign investment
Old Sep 14th 2010, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

Serendipidy thanks for replying. Maybe your thread was not 2006 - looks like I read your date of joining instead! Anyway I've had a look at the websites. If we did set up an IBC that is based in Barbados then would you automatically be able to apply for a work permit?

Rather than clogging up the site with rather specific questions is there any chance that I could PM you as my situation is rather complicated!!

No problem if that's not possible though.

Thanks Serendipidy
Old Sep 14th 2010, 9:57 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Yep sure go ahead and pm - anyone is entitled to apply for a work permit but getting it is the lottery. The new gov has lots of new rules and criteria but they are a law unto themselves - not even a lawyer would be able to tell you if you would get through with a work permit.

Anyone can register a company in Barbados (you have to have a laywer set it up for you) but it does not give you any automatic entitlement to work for it.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

CarlHnz is an unknown quantity at this point

I've just gone through this exact process, feel free to PM me.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 3:02 pm

Wow Carl - 747 seems to have hit gold if you have just done it lol - hope you can help him ill do my bit as well
Old Sep 15th 2010, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

Yes thank you very much, both of you. I've PM you already
Old May 11th 2011, 6:35 pm
Just Joined

M1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

I guess i am a bit late to join the thread, but i am also a language speaker with a potential client lined up in Europe for translation services and would really appreciate any advice you could give on this area. Such as - is an IBC the best/only option? How long would it take to set up etc?

ANY advice or links to websites etc that might help very gratefully received.

Thank you.