British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   off topic posts moved from Dips thankyou thread. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/off-topic-posts-moved-dips-thankyou-thread-876255/)

Gordon Barlow Apr 16th 2016 3:06 pm

off topic posts moved from Dips thankyou thread.

Originally Posted by Serendipidy (Post 11923715)
Many times people come on, ask a question get their response but don't think to then show their appreciation as they disappear off and not heard of again..others as I can see recently do take the time out to feed back their thanks and some recipients pay their appreciation forwards and contribute in the forum later to others.

Dips. Sometimes (and I have to be very careful saying this!) Rule #9 gets in the way of disseminating information. Sometimes, enquirers or other interested persons email me to follow up on queries. My replies to them don't get published on the forums, so the next person who enquires about Cayman (or Australia or whatever topic it is) has to post the same enquiry - or email me. I don't mind the emails - it's always pleasant helping people - but if this sort of thing is spread over the whole spectrum of the BE site, it means there is a lot of info falling into the void.

I don't expect the site-owners policy will change in a hurry, but it's an interesting quandary.

uk_grenada Apr 16th 2016 10:10 pm

Re: Thanks For Caring Enough To Contribute

Tripadvisor have the concept of the user article, the ability to write a document about a specific set of info for a given area, with photos etc, and have it published, very useful to refer users to it.

christmasoompa Apr 20th 2016 9:50 am

Originally Posted by uk_grenada (Post 11924869)
Tripadvisor have the concept of the user article, the ability to write a document about a specific set of info for a given area, with photos etc, and have it published, very useful to refer users to it.

Sounds like our very own Wiki - admittedly no photos, but anybody that wants to can write a Wiki article with info in.

Pulaski Apr 20th 2016 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 11927474)
What policy? ABout answering emails? Policy is to answer general or immigration queries on the forum wherever possible, why would you want to change that? .....

The rule he cited is the one that prohibits "advertising".

Serendipidy Apr 20th 2016 1:45 pm

As long as you do not benefit personally from the promotion of a service it is fine so here is an example - I know a great gardener who works at x rate per hour as opposed to I am a good gardener who works at x rate.

However I have seen a couple of examples in the Barbados forum where for example the British Womens club has put up their details (after someone saying they are looking for contact details!) and another moderator has come in and taken down for advertising. The promotion of community services and other such altruistic services should be able to promoted by anyone including a member of the community as should any 3rd party recommendation - that's my common sense approach.

If it is about personal situations that you are advising where the member does not want to reveal their info in the room then I have helped a few out personally in IM's however on the whole all my contributions are in the public area

BEVS Apr 21st 2016 4:31 am

Re: off topic posts moved from Dips thankyou thread.

Originally Posted by Serendipity
The promotion of community services and other such altruistic services should be able to promoted

Dips. You could pop up a few facts, post by post, into a sticky thread which would appear & remain at the top of the forum. This could include the contact details for the 'British Womans Club'.

Yes. Someone who joins just to post up details of their club/facebook page , blog etc would likely have that post taken down.

Originally Posted by UK_Grenada
Tripadvisor have the concept of the user article, the ability to write a document about a specific set of info for a given area

As Oopma points out, we do have the BE Wiki where facts and info can be added. BE is also able to publish articles for anyone wishing to write and submit those. In fact, it would be lovely to see more member based articles being submitted for consideration.

Correct GordonBarlow. Rule 9 will forever apply for our BE members.

However it is lovely to see anyone & everyone offering their free time to post help and advice to the BE open chat forums in response to a request for help , so thank you for that.
When it comes to offering to help and advice privately , err on the side of caution. If I receive a private request, particularly of perhaps an Immy nature, I will either post direct into their thread and guide them to that, or I will suggest they start a thread where I will respond publically. Many of us long timers do this.

If it is a topic that is often repeated , then placing the info in the BE WIki is helpful . Personally I don't mind repeating myself to any new member as I feel they like the personal touch.

Think that covers it so this off topic thread is closed.