British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Nursery / Daycare suggestions please (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/nursery-daycare-suggestions-please-887237/)

CarolineB85 Nov 10th 2016 8:40 am

Nursery / Daycare suggestions please

Hello All,

I've been viewing this forum for a while now and wanted to join as I am moving to Barbados in the new year. W2hile my husband is Bajan, so we are pretty sorted on most things - immigration, jobs, a home etc. The schooling side of things is where we could use some help.

I have 2 boys, one will be 3 years old when we arrive, the other will be 9 months. I would like to get my 3 year old in daycare as soon as possible to help him adjust. My 9 month old won't go until he is 10/ 11 months old.

We will consider all options but think it might be best to have him in a mixed environment as that is what he is used to and will again help the adjustment process.

Any recommendations please?

Many thanks!

Serendipidy Nov 10th 2016 10:38 am

Re: Nursery / Daycare suggestions please

Welcome to the Forum Caroline...I am sure someone will come along with some relevant advice soon

Dips

Sunniebgi Nov 13th 2016 1:04 am

HI Caroline, Welcome to the forum.

your 3 year old should probably go into a nursery school but I would say much might depend on where you are living, if you want to go public (government) or private etc. Many of the private primary schools are now accepting children in at age 3 into a nursery/learning set up and moving them into the primary section the following year. This isn't going to be easy for you, as many of those spaces fill up rather quickly.

If you husband is Bajan and has family on the island, they maybe able to assist with this as well and could offer suggestions for babysitting, Daycare and nursery etc

Do you plan on working?? have your citizen/residency documents sorted out and your reside and work (while waiting for one of those to come through) then you may want to considering having someone come into your home and look after your youngest while you are at work.. but obviously that does depend on income etc.. or maybe there is someone in the family that can assist. just suggestions.

my suggestions for the nursery to primary option is St. Gabriel's school or The Ursuline Convent School - St. Angela's. they both have websites.. but as said.. you can bet people have had their name on waiting lists for years to get into those programs, so I'd suggest getting in touch with them sooner rather than later.

there are private nursery's not attached to Primary Schools but again.. people put their childs name down at birth.. and really it's best to know the general area where you will be living and/or working to give you a better idea for location.

CarolineB85 Nov 15th 2016 5:42 pm

Hi there Sunniebgi,

Thank you for responding with some suggestions. All really helpful. Gosh, I had no idea about the waiting times for some of the top schools - definitely worth us checking out now and putting names down if we find a place that we/ they like.

I will check out St. Gabriel's and St. Angela's.

Not sure where we will be located yet, we are viewing a handful of properties later this month when we visit for a holiday before the big move. Parishes range from Christ Church to St. James, St. Thomas and St. George.

Once we find a home, we can refine a search on nursery options.

Thanks again.

AngelEdwards Jan 12th 2017 2:32 pm

St Luke's Academy www.stlukes.academy has a wonderful pre school programme for 2-3 year olds, a full AMI Montessori class for 3-6year olds and are growing into their primary school, which will go all the way up to 11 years. They were formerly Casa Dei Bambini Montessori School.