British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   North and East vs South and West Coasts of Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/north-east-vs-south-west-coasts-barbados-543933/)

acebritty Jun 19th 2008 1:14 pm

North and East vs South and West Coasts of Barbados

hello all. we've booked at the Divi Southwinds Resort which looks like it in the South. also from a bit of research seems like most of the hotels are in the south and west coasts.

i read on here that if you are on the N or E coasts you'll end up having to drive to the other two anyway as that's where most 'activity' is. i also read the atlantic side is very rugged and has rough seas. apart from that can anyone give me a good description of that the E and N coasts are like? how populated is it, what are the homes like, is it hilly or flat, are the temps different that the others parts of the island, are there major businesses there etc. i am trying to build a mental picture of what it looks like. we will be visiting for 8 days later on this year and would really like to explore the entire island. is this even possible?

looking forward to responses.

Serendipidy Jun 20th 2008 10:58 am

Re: North and East vs South and West Coasts of Barbados

hi ace

You can explore the island from whatever location you are at the hotel outside of rush hour you can get from one side of the island to the other in under an hour. Divi is a location just behind the gap so is good for nightlife and is also on the main road so handy for public transport although with young children would recommend a car for the week.

Barbados is very english compared to Jamaica with many areas being named after english places ie ealing park, brighton, worthing, hastings etc. The island is no where near as big as jamaica so access to everything in a week is possible

Barbados is flat and depending on when you are coming will depend on how much of a breeze you could expect. The weather is fairly consistent however its real strange that you will drive for 10 mins and it will be raining in one parish and not in another.

As you are staying in the South you will mainly come across tourists as its the main tourist hub and most organised tours are obviously full of tourists. To get from the south coast to the west takes between 20-30 mins (rush hour is 7-9 and 4-6).

If you really wanted to experience culture then a home exchange might be an idea rather than a hotel - the site i belong to actually has people who will bank weeks etc - just a thought.

What time of year is your trip?

Serendipidy

acebritty Jun 20th 2008 12:59 pm

Re: North and East vs South and West Coasts of Barbados

Serendipidy, excellent info i'm so very exited. we will be arriving on nov 25th and leaving dec 2nd.

if we rent a car, will car seats be available for rent also? is it illegal to have kids in the car without one?

pls tell me more about the home exchange and the site you belong to.

thank you very much