British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Non working partners / spouses (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/non-working-partners-spouses-630145/)

yellowsunset Sep 10th 2009 8:45 pm

Non working partners / spouses

Just wondering how many other partners/spouses are out there who are not working.... without kiddies? What do you do to fill your days - There is obviously the beach, exercise (grimace :)) drinking (probably not a good idea to fill your day with this one though I was quite good at this when I first came out!), internet surfing/keeping up with friends back home/forum posting :) plus all the usual house chores etc. Have dabbled at mahjong and bridge but was not very good at either of those and I have been to a few of the BW club meetings. Helped a bit with stray / fostering kittens and rescued a couple of cats. Joined an exercise class and did look into art classes/further education but this was a little too pricey for me. The girls I have met at the class are great, but most seem to have kiddies and I think fill their days with kid-oriented activities with other stay-at-home parents. So, if anyone has any suggestions on day time activities to meet other people in a similar position or if you are in the same boat as me, please let me know :). I am in the Holetown area so wondering if there are any book clubs, jogging/walking groups etc. Many thanks all.

yellowsunset Sep 16th 2009 1:08 am

Re: Non working partners / spouses

Hmmmm - from the over-whelming response, I can only assume then that I am in a minority :(.

Foxy_fromCanada Sep 16th 2009 11:00 am

Sorry, Yellow... I was hoping you'd get some response. I work so I can't join you for daytime activities.

If you would like a coffee break on the South Coast sometime, let me know. I could hop out for that, at least!

I really like the idea of a book club, but not sure I have the time to organize. If you wanted to set one up, I'd be interested in helping/participating.

Foxy

Triana Sep 16th 2009 11:42 am

Hi, a couple of ideas -
- have you tried asking at the library in Holetown whether they know of any book clubs or whether you could maybe put a poster up in the library about starting one? I found the librarian really friendly when I called in there last time I was in Barbados.
- Also, there are organised walks/hikes every Sunday, of differing difficulties, and even if you didn't want to do that regularly every Sunday, it might be a way of meeting some people who would like to join you for a walk during the week. Think the organisation is called Hike barbados and think I read about them in a Totally Barbados newsletter but they are also advertised in some of the tourist info in Barbados.
Good luck, :)

Icey Sep 18th 2009 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by Triana (Post 7935699)
Hi, a couple of ideas -
- have you tried asking at the library in Holetown whether they know of any book clubs or whether you could maybe put a poster up in the library about starting one? I found the librarian really friendly when I called in there last time I was in Barbados.
- Also, there are organised walks/hikes every Sunday, of differing difficulties, and even if you didn't want to do that regularly every Sunday, it might be a way of meeting some people who would like to join you for a walk during the week. Think the organisation is called Hike barbados and think I read about them in a Totally Barbados newsletter but they are also advertised in some of the tourist info in Barbados.
Good luck, :)

I am the same when i go over, my partner works when i'm there i dont so it is the beach, the mall, visiting family (droan) or maury etc

shines Sep 19th 2009 2:29 am

Originally Posted by yellowsunset (Post 7934635)
Hmmmm - from the over-whelming response, I can only assume then that I am in a minority :(.

Oh man, not at all, I am the mother of 2 small ones, one is at school and the rest of the day is spent arond the other ones nap, running errands or dropping my hubby to and from work. BUT on the plus the youngest is dropping her nap a bit now and so I am not so house bound so please PM me, we can meet up for coffee as long as you don't mind the presence of a mini hurricane...

Believe me I do know how you feel... It does get better tho!