Noise Pollution

Old Nov 9th 2012, 5:24 pm
Just Joined

natalienoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Noise Pollution

Hello All!

I joined this site a year and a half ago, with an imminent move to Barbados on the cards. Well, here we are now and here I am still in Barbados, keeping myself busy ... and working on a few different projects.

I have been asked to look into the issue of noise pollution on the island. I think the majority of us have been exposed to the sounds of ZR buses, crazy drivers, 2am-karaoke sessions, insanely loud music, etc.

As far as I can tell from research there is absolutely no laws or rules to limit noise pollution? Is this really the case, or is there an Act that I've missed somewhere.
I appreciate any help or light than anyone can shed on this matter.

Warmest Greetings!
- Natalie
Old Nov 10th 2012, 2:36 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Noise Pollution

HI Natalie,

to my knowledge there are know laws in Barbados that govern this however, having said that.. there are permits that events, fairs, and I'm guessing establishments, have to get from the police called a permission to play loud music. you must apply and it be approved.. the application should have the hours of your function and the amount of time you are asking for on this request.

if you are being harassed by noise pollution, you may want to have a chat with the closest police station to you to see what can be done.

I live in the middle of the island and the only time I really have some serious noise pollution is when my neighbor has a party or the church down the road has a fair etc.. (and the wind is blowing in my direction).. I view these as 1 off's and don't bother contacting anyone regarding these..
Old Nov 10th 2012, 3:08 pm
Just Joined

Hi Sunni,

Thanks very much for the information.
I did call the police station yesterday afternoon and they reiterated what you have said. I have passed the info on to the person who was asking, and said that unfortunately it would just be a case of calling the police when you can't sleep, and they will go and check out the situation.

I can see how it may be frowned upon for you to call the police on your local church for having a good time.
Old Nov 10th 2012, 5:23 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

there is a church in the village behind and close to where I live. when then wind is right and the sugar cane is down and they are in full song.. well it can be a problem.. but.. I can tell you it doesn't go on very late..thank goodness. Same goes for the church fair that takes place once a year at St. Judes Parish Church which is further down the road.. but the wind carries the music.. and I'm none to happy when they finally shut it down.. again.. not too late, but still..

I do, however, have a neighbor who entertaining area just happens to be within serious earshot of my bedroom window.. NOT a pleasant thing when the parties can go on till after midnight.. I just push the pillow over my head and hope it shuts off sooner rather than later..

Originally Posted by natalienoo
Hi Sunni,

Thanks very much for the information.
I did call the police station yesterday afternoon and they reiterated what you have said. I have passed the info on to the person who was asking, and said that unfortunately it would just be a case of calling the police when you can't sleep, and they will go and check out the situation.

I can see how it may be frowned upon for you to call the police on your local church for having a good time.
Old Nov 12th 2012, 4:03 pm
Just Joined

Ach, that is unfortunate to say the least. I suppose there isn't much you can do about that - short of speaking with your neighbour or calling the police on them.

Perhaps they'll suddenly decide to start up a Silent Reading Book Club at weekends?