Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

new option on BGI dog imports

new option on BGI dog imports

Old Sep 25th 2010, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

747 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default new option on BGI dog imports

To import dogs into Barbados they can only come from a few select Caribbean islands (including St Lucia) or the UK. Otherwise they have to go through a crazy period of 6 months UK quarantine. To avoid this I am planning on flying my 2 dogs from Italy to St Lucia (which is possible as the St Lucian authorities only need to have a blood sample analysed and then the dogs are free to enter 6 months later), and then ship them over to Barbados. Sounds OK in theory but I'm sure it's not that simple. Has anyone tried importing an animal to St Lucia or Antigua and then transporting it over to Barbados, hence circumventing the strict dog import rules in Barbados?

Thanks
Old Sep 25th 2010, 6:27 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: new option on BGI dog imports

Originally Posted by 747
To import dogs into Barbados they can only come from a few select Caribbean islands (including St Lucia) or the UK. Otherwise they have to go through a crazy period of 6 months UK quarantine. To avoid this I am planning on flying my 2 dogs from Italy to St Lucia (which is possible as the St Lucian authorities only need to have a blood sample analysed and then the dogs are free to enter 6 months later), and then ship them over to Barbados. Sounds OK in theory but I'm sure it's not that simple. Has anyone tried importing an animal to St Lucia or Antigua and then transporting it over to Barbados, hence circumventing the strict dog import rules in Barbados?

Thanks
I am not sure it is that simple to bring dogs into St lucia, I think they have to have all their jabs up to date and one or two other things. I know a couple of people have bought dogs to St Lucia, so hopefully they will inform you what is needed. Mind you, if you are not going to be a permanent resident of St Lucia this may not even be permitted to you.
Old Sep 25th 2010, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

That's where the cunning plan falls down I believe. I'm sure you would need to produce some evidence of a resident's visa or permanent home in St Lucia for them to allow the dogs in. Never mind, I think the the boys will have to be shipped via the UK to Barbados.

Thanks for the reply
Old Sep 25th 2010, 11:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

No way, I wouldn't try that. Once you go through the process here, unfortunately by the book, you will see how strict they are.

They don't allow the animals to merely transit through another country, and in the end they have the right to just refuse the animal altogether. It could end up in quarantine at the airport which not only costs you money but could also cost you the animal. I speak from experience.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 3:46 am
Just Joined

Westcoastbajan is an unknown quantity at this point

747 not sure how quick you are travelling to Barbados.

But have you heard of the UK pet passport scheme? It's not really a passport but documented proof that your dog has been vaccinated and tested for virus and diseases. Just contact your nearest UK embassy for more information.

Once your pet meets these documented requirements it no longer needs any quarantine time in UK. Your pet can fly to the UK, pass inspection and catch the next flight to Barbados in less than 24 hours. Easy, if you prepare ahead of time. Also, British Airways will ship your pet as special cargo on a later flight if you need to travel before to Barbados. Just contact them and ask for quote.

This is the easiest and most humane way of getting your dog to the island.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks very much for that info. Our situation was slightly more complicated as we had been living in Nairobi, which is where our dogs still our. After a rabies shot and a 3 month waiting period we can ship them to relatives in italy. They then have to spend 6 months there, and if after that period they are not frothing at the mouth then we can get them on the PETS scheme, send them to the UK and then 2 days later fly them to BGI. Effectively they will be undergoing UK quarantine in Italy, which saves about us$9,000 for the 2 of them.

The only reason I've descibed the process here is incase someone else was looking on the forum in the future. Thanks very much to all who have replied. It looks as though our dogs can live in Barbados, unfortunately we can't at the moment!!! I must have done something bad in a previous life!

UK contact for the PETS scheme - pets helpline on 0870 2411710 or the website at http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/travel. They are also very good at answering questoins via email: [email protected]