New here, questions

Old Apr 27th 2021, 7:25 pm
Just Joined

BobbyB1909 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New here, questions

Hello, I'm retired and live in the UK but looking to come to Barbados for a year when travel restrictions ease. I have a couple of questions I would appreciate some advice on:
  1. What's the best way to transfer money from the UK whilst living in Barbados? Is there a bank that will link with a bank in the UK?
  2. What is the best way to use a mobile in Barbados? Can I use a UK phone with a Barbados sim or is it better to buy a cheap phone and PAYG sim out there?
  3. I will need a number of prescribed medications whilst in Barbados, does this work the same way as the UK? Do I just need to register with a local GP? Will I need to pay for prescriptions?
Thanks in advance
Old Apr 30th 2021, 8:19 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New here, questions

Hi Bobby..

wellcom to the forum. I'll see if I can help.. at all.. some.. but not all.

I can't really answer the banking question. we have only a few banks in Barbados. non specifically linked to UK banks. there maybe someone better who can answer this question.

Your UK phone should be able to work with a Barbados Sim, just need to know the size of the sim, (I would assume most are microsim these days. Husband has one that allows for a dual sim, which is good when he travels (to the US, Canada etc).

Medications. you may want to make a list of what you use there and check with pharmacies in Barbados (I'd start with Lewis Drug Mart) to see if they carry the specific make and model. if you are going to be here for a year, I would suggest that you work with a local GP for sure and yes. you would pay for prescriptions. you may want to come out with some spare and I do know some people have actually had what they use in their home country shipped into the island., but it might be best to find out, again from a local pharmacy, if they carry the same type..

. .
Old Apr 30th 2021, 11:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Won't you need a visa? You can stay up to 6 months without a visa.

Yes, you will need to purchase prescription drugs. There is no NHS in Barbados so you'll need to buy health insurance.
Old May 1st 2021, 4:56 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Medications can be very expensive, and will most assuredly be cheaper in the uk, not to mention safer as some fakes and low quality imports get into the system in caribbean islands. I regularly take a years worth - private prescription in the uk - to my island, not an issue. Yes you will need to sort out on what basis you are visiting with immigration, you cant just b a perpetual tourist, not allowed.
Old May 5th 2021, 3:52 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Bobby - I am going to presume you have looked into the residency side of things for a year. Depending on your phone you can get a local sim but it might be an idea to use a spare phone so that you can also keep abreast of your UK texts - making sure you haver watsapp means you will be able to make calls etc.

Re health care - be careful here - if you are out of the country for more than 3-6 months (I thnk) you can be classed as not eliglble for NHS Health Care so you need to be careful how you phrase things. As previously stated you will have to pay for doctor visits to get prescriptions and for the prescriptions yourself. I would recommend you put a plan in around getting 6 months worth of medication if you can then maybe requesting someone bring you the rest over at renewal time? Most of the people i know would maybe go back for a few days during that year.