New to Barbados...

Old Apr 11th 2011, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

songbird835 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New to Barbados...

Originally Posted by Serendipidy
Hey a BEX PAT quiz team sounds like a bleeding winner to me unless its all bout Canada lol - that sounds like a great Ice Breaker Ian and i love quiz nights

Get Easter out of the way and arrange a team can you tell us if we just turn up??
yes you just turn up, its $5 per person and can have up to teams of 6, Quiz master Terry Bent has a varied subject matter!!!! definitely not all about Canada..lol...
it gets busy so even though it starts at 8 people generally get there early.
Old Apr 11th 2011, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

satellite_ian will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by songbird835
yes you just turn up, its $5 per person and can have up to teams of 6, Quiz master Terry Bent has a varied subject matter!!!! definitely not all about Canada..lol...
it gets busy so even though it starts at 8 people generally get there early.
People get there very early - am generally part of one (or two) teams made up from the Hash House Harriers. But plenty of people go along.. both ex-pats and Bajans, entry as per Songbirds post.

Ian
Old Apr 13th 2011, 10:25 pm
Just Joined

jalal94 is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: New to Barbados...

Hey, been on the forum and researching for about one/two months and still not have an idea about the cost of food. Could anyone please help me? The cost for one/two person for a week/month. Just trying to prepare Been trying to make some scales, found prices for everything but food.

Thanks

Jalal
Old Apr 13th 2011, 10:56 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Here ya go here is a local supermarket chain online shopping so you can work out how much ya shopping will be. Prices are in BDS - your in for a shock lol

http://www.supercentre.com/shop.html
Old Apr 13th 2011, 11:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Serendipidy
Here ya go here is a local supermarket chain online shopping so you can work out how much ya shopping will be. Prices are in BDS - your in for a shock lol

http://www.supercentre.com/shop.html
Yeah, I have checked and the prices are high, maybe not now cuz i'm still in UK and the British Pound is 3x stronger than BDS, but once you get to live and work there... The site doesn't look too good, and works slow. I will try getting a job in Web Designing and hopefully make everything okay.

Thanks dipidy

Jalal

Last edited by jalal94; Apr 14th 2011 at 12:00 am.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 1:39 am
Forum Regular

_Tropical_11th is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jalal94
Yeah, I have checked and the prices are high, maybe not now cuz i'm still in UK and the British Pound is 3x stronger than BDS, but once you get to live and work there... The site doesn't look too good, and works slow. I will try getting a job in Web Designing and hopefully make everything okay.

Thanks dipidy

Jalal
Thumbs up... PLEASE get the Government on board with you. Their website need a lot of help. They need the basics like adherence to web standards, sites for persons with disabilities, less reliance on FLASH, all the laws and acts etc should be online too...

Last edited by _Tropical_11th; Apr 14th 2011 at 1:42 am.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 3:35 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

Jalal.. I'll said it again (said it the first time on Page 2).. you must have a work permit to live here.. Also, 17 is pretty young, from where I sit, to be moving to this country without anyone else. I answered your question before about prices, even giving the supercentre website.

Even getting a job with the government requires a work permit.

Interesting that you are also talking about moving to Holland as well and getting an IT Job there.

There are issues with websites, especially governments, but remember you can't just walk on to the island and expect to get a job.

good luck
Old Apr 14th 2011, 11:32 am
Just Joined

Wink Re: New to Barbados...

Originally Posted by Sunniebgi
Jalal.. I'll said it again (said it the first time on Page 2).. you must have a work permit to live here.. Also, 17 is pretty young, from where I sit, to be moving to this country without anyone else. I answered your question before about prices, even giving the supercentre website.

Interesting that you are also talking about moving to Holland as well and getting an IT Job there.

There are issues with websites, especially governments, but remember you can't just walk on to the island and expect to get a job.

good luck
Hey,

Yes, I know and I aknowledge what I need, few friends there and their families could help me get the recidency and work, and don't worry I am preparing from now so it will be easier to get in. As I said I have all the contacts needed and now what to say, but in the main thing I asked for the total cost of food people pay weekly/monthy because I'm not the kind of person to do the shopping for me and I don't quiet no. And about travel, I'll be 18 when I come, so it won't be a problem me travelling on my own, eventually going to come with someone else. I have been travelling across europe on my own since I was 14. anyway..

Thanks again!

Jalal
Old Apr 14th 2011, 8:59 pm
Just Joined

good luck
Ops! Looks like it jumped backwards again and missed some words, I just read it through and doesn't make sense.

so reply

I said that I know what the needs for getting a work permit and residency are, and have all the info. I also said that I have few friends there and that their families could get them if they only support my application. And about costs of living, I know nearly everything about costs like rent, tax, travel..etc.. but i'm concerned about the weekly/monthly food shopping, because I don't buy my food here and don't know how much the average cost per person will be, for a week/month. I have looked on supercentre.com/shop but i'm abit confused sry. And don't worry about my age, it will not affect my applications and I been travelling across europe on my own since I was 14. :P
We all know that every employer looks for younger workers now, with imagination and creativity.

Thanks again Sunnie! and Thanks Tropical for your support!

Jalal

Sorry for the double post but I couldn't edit!

Last edited by jalal94; Apr 14th 2011 at 9:21 pm.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 12:13 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

sorry Jalal, sorry if I sound rude but I don't actually support someone who thinks that have it all figured out and have what they think are inside connections. Work permits and residencies still take time and years. and you can't work here without those items. especially for the government.

and I'm guessing that you firmly believe that because someone is older means they lack imagination and creativity.. Wait till your older and you will not think so.. Employers also look for stability, willingness to work and ability to actually to the job.

The issue with the food from the grocery, really is more about what you eat on a daily basis and what you think you will be spending. The issue with the site is that they don't actually give amounts, which is a problem..

Loaf of bread - 3.00bbd - 4.00bbd average, depending on the type
1 ltr Milk - 4.99
Box of brand name cereal - 10.00bbd to 15.00bbd or more
Eggs - by the dozen - average 8.00bbd
meats/chicken/fish will vary.. you could get a good whole chicken for maybe 20.00bbd.. cook it and eat on it for a few days if you are living by yourself.

Why don't you write to supercentre and see if they will hire you to get their website on track. Good luck with that.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 1:16 am
Just Joined

sorry Jalal, sorry if I sound rude but I don't actually support someone who thinks that have it all figured out and have what they think are inside connections. Work permits and residencies still take time and years. and you can't work here without those items. especially for the government.

and I'm guessing that you firmly believe that because someone is older means they lack imagination and creativity.. Wait till your older and you will not think so.. Employers also look for stability, willingness to work and ability to actually to the job.

The issue with the food from the grocery, really is more about what you eat on a daily basis and what you think you will be spending. The issue with the site is that they don't actually give amounts, which is a problem..

Loaf of bread - 3.00bbd - 4.00bbd average, depending on the type
1 ltr Milk - 4.99
Box of brand name cereal - 10.00bbd to 15.00bbd or more
Eggs - by the dozen - average 8.00bbd
meats/chicken/fish will vary.. you could get a good whole chicken for maybe 20.00bbd.. cook it and eat on it for a few days if you are living by yourself.

Why don't you write to supercentre and see if they will hire you to get their website on track. Good luck with that.
I got you here, I know what you mean and I'm not that person to rely only on connections, this is why i'm doing research, and I am trying to get everything stabilized with 1 year before. I didn't say that I will work for the govn but that i worked as work experience and got offered a job, this will make my application look good and will show that I'm willing, I could've worked at a shop but no.
And for the idea with supercentre came to me last night, I spoke to someone to make sure everything it's okay and does not count as content stealing/ I will rebuild their whole website edit all the concept, design and database. Then after it's finished I will contact them and see their opinion, they could also help me with Work Permit. please tell me if I make any sense and your opinion.

And Thanks for the info and the idea with supercentre, and yeah, I figured out that you didn't, I don't either, but i;m not that type to think I have it all figured all out and about inside connections. And not saying older people don't have creativity but some people see the world from another perspective. Thank You!

Jalal

Last edited by jalal94; Apr 15th 2011 at 1:38 am.