New to Barbados...

Old Feb 4th 2011, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

vikki85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New to Barbados...

I have an account with RBC (mainly as they allowed me to open an account without having a job at the time). I have since opened an account with BNB (as this is the same bank that my company banks with, so my wages go in slightly quicker) and a credit union. Although the banks over debit cards, they cannot be used abroad, only if I apply for a credit card.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 7:11 am
Just Joined

jalal94 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sunniebgi
jalal.. unless you are a Barbadian by birth or have citizenship or residency, it will be difficult for you to reside here or work here. Barbados isn't a place you can just pick up and move to. Rents are high, unless you want to live in not nice conditions, food prices are high (check out www.supercentre.com) and to own a car.. well you can forget about that. The bus routes are pretty good, better if you live close to Bridgetown or along the south or west coasts.

and getting a job will require a work permit and without much training/schooling, or being in a specialized fied, that might be impossible.
Well, I have a friend there, gonna go and visit him for few weeks, and then I will decide if I want to stay or not, Getting a job will be a difficulty, but found some nice cheap houses at around BB$ 1500. 'Well, not in Barbados, but in Enland I was offered a job in the IT Dept at the goverment when I was 15, That was for after I finish high school. A job for me is something I am good at and enjoy doing, but I preffered to complete study.

we'll be talking later tonight, as I got to go college

Thanks for you reply!

Jalal
Old Feb 4th 2011, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

satellite_ian will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by DPS03
Hi Rachel, I just arrived in Barbados last month and am planning to be here for a few years. Currently staying in St. Philip but am moving to Rockley in a few weeks. Am in a similar position to you, looking to meet people etc so if you and anyone else on here fancies meeting for a drink sometime then let me know.

Hope you're settling in well. I'm trying to sort bank accounts at the moment - did you go with First Caribbean in the end?

Cheers,
Duncan
I opened a First Caribbean account while still in UK. I opened an off shore account with FCIB (in GB£), they were very helpful. Didn't need too much stuff but did need a letter of reference from my UK bank. I also added a letter from my solicitor showing recent house sale to give some idea of where the money was sourced. The actual account opening took about 30 mins and they then sent an email to a branch of my choice to open a local FCIB account. It costs me about US$ to move money from off to on shore.

You may like to contact [email protected] or [email protected]. They both work for FCIB Wealth Management.

Ian
Old Feb 4th 2011, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

no2son is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Ian,

I'll look into the FCIB idea whilst I'm over before the Easter period. Basically I'll need an account that will be able to grow as my concerns in Bim do. I will be keeping my uk account running but will need a good account over there.

Once again thank you for the advice
Old Feb 4th 2011, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

satellite_ian will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by satellite_ian
I opened a First Caribbean account while still in UK. I opened an off shore account with FCIB (in GB£), they were very helpful. Didn't need too much stuff but did need a letter of reference from my UK bank. I also added a letter from my solicitor showing recent house sale to give some idea of where the money was sourced. The actual account opening took about 30 mins and they then sent an email to a branch of my choice to open a local FCIB account. It costs me about US$ to move money from off to on shore.

You may like to contact [email protected] or [email protected]. They both work for FCIB Wealth Management.

Ian
Opps missed a bit there.. it costs me about US$2 each time I want to move cash on shore... hope that helps a bit...

Ian
Old Feb 4th 2011, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by satellite_ian
Opps missed a bit there.. it costs me about US$2 each time I want to move cash on shore... hope that helps a bit...

Ian
Ha ha.

Had wondered what the mystery charge was. Baited breath and all that. I'll have a chat with my UK bank prior to traveling. That way if I were to get a better deal I can act whilst there.

Cheers
Old Feb 5th 2011, 10:35 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jalal94
Well, I have a friend there, gonna go and visit him for few weeks, and then I will decide if I want to stay or not, Getting a job will be a difficulty, but found some nice cheap houses at around BB$ 1500. 'Well, not in Barbados, but in Enland I was offered a job in the IT Dept at the goverment when I was 15, That was for after I finish high school. A job for me is something I am good at and enjoy doing, but I preffered to complete study.

we'll be talking later tonight, as I got to go college

Thanks for you reply!

Jalal
Jalal.. If you are working, or going to school you will still need a permit to be here.. student or work permit. I'm so happy you were offered an IT job with the govt when you were 15, but it still doesn't mean you can work here without a work permit. and 1500.00 for some is a lot of money.. Pay scales in Barbados are much less than in the UK.. good luck
Old Feb 5th 2011, 11:43 am
Just Joined

jalal94 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sunniebgi
Jalal.. If you are working, or going to school you will still need a permit to be here.. student or work permit. I'm so happy you were offered an IT job with the govt when you were 15, but it still doesn't mean you can work here without a work permit. and 1500.00 for some is a lot of money.. Pay scales in Barbados are much less than in the UK.. good luck
I understand, thank!! But If I manage to buy a house there, will I still need to pay tax for the gov or bank because I own a house? I'm a bit confused with that, I understand that this will not give me the right to live there without a residency permit

Thanks!

Jalal
Old Feb 5th 2011, 3:04 pm
Just Joined

Britney is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi i live in Holetown and am a Barbadian,would love to meet you and make friends,can help you with info on houses or any info you may need,please send me a private message so we can arrange to meet each other.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 2:46 pm
Just Joined

tanikay is just really nicetanikay is just really nicetanikay is just really nicetanikay is just really nicetanikay is just really nicetanikay is just really nicetanikay is just really nicetanikay is just really nice

Hi Everyone,

I am happy to found this thread as I really get some very good information here. I am seeking to relocate to Barbados and wanted to find out about the cost of living. I am a Jamaican national with a caricom skills certificate and a degree in Management. I have over 10 years experience in the financial sector and I would like to know how can I go about job hunting from here in Jamaica. Any suggestions?
Old Feb 9th 2011, 3:11 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Tanikay

Welcome to the site - there are many posts and threads that refer to the cost of living if you put in a search on the posts you will get a lot of info as it has been discussed numerous times.

There are also posts re job hunting but as a quick guide go online and subscribe to the nation news paper and most jobs are advertised in there. I sometimes get jobs sent to me via email from [email protected] so you could also subscribe to that
Old Feb 9th 2011, 3:15 pm
Just Joined

tanikay is just really nicetanikay is just really nicetanikay is just really nicetanikay is just really nicetanikay is just really nicetanikay is just really nicetanikay is just really nicetanikay is just really nice

Thank You very much Serendipidy. I will get at it right away.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 11:56 am
Just Joined

Dudlebug is an unknown quantity at this point

Good Morning All,

I was in similar boat myself last year when I arrived. 26 year old single fella etc and was bit tricky meeting people at first but I have been here 14 months now and enjoying it a lot. Met some other ex-pats but also a lot of local people.

If anyone is interested in hanging out for beers, rum, sport etc then let me know.

Cheers

Sesn
Old Feb 16th 2011, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Serendipidy
Hi Tanikay

Welcome to the site - there are many posts and threads that refer to the cost of living if you put in a search on the posts you will get a lot of info as it has been discussed numerous times.

There are also posts re job hunting but as a quick guide go online and subscribe to the nation news paper and most jobs are advertised in there. I sometimes get jobs sent to me via email from [email protected] so you could also subscribe to that
Hello Serendipidy,

I tried getting onto the site you posted and was unable to get on the site. In fact a lot of the sites for job opportunities will not allow access or to register from the UK. Do you have any other suggestions please?

With regards

Duncan
Old Feb 16th 2011, 5:47 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm thats interesting not sure what to suggest unless you get someoen in barbados to set up an account for you. The only other suggestion was as I referred to access the nation news i know most peeps can do that from here

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.