New to Barbados...

Old Jan 28th 2011, 12:42 am
Just Joined

rachel82 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New to Barbados...

Hi all,

I moved here to start a job in October and finding it pretty difficult to meet people... I've read a few of the threads on this forum and it seems like other people in my situation (single, female, 28) have had the same problem. Anyway, thought the expat world might be a good start... would be good to hear from people!

Cheers,

Rachel
Old Jan 28th 2011, 9:08 am

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to Barbados...

Hi Rachel

Welcome to the site - Im not there presently but understand where you are coming from - Hope this site can connect you with a few peeps keep in touch and get involved here

Dips
Old Jan 29th 2011, 6:24 pm
Just Joined

si_m is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Rachel,

I've also just moved here (from London) - although in my case its to take advantage of the watersports! I'm a 26 year old guy, and certainly looking to meet people that will be around for a while, as so many people are transient (holidays etc). I'm currently staying near Surfer's bay (Christ Church) and have a car - would be great to meet up for a drink? Drop me a message if you would like.

Cheers

Simon
Old Jan 30th 2011, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

vikki85 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am always looking to make new friends in Barbados. I live in St Peter. Where on the island do you live?
Old Jan 31st 2011, 12:29 am
Just Joined

Hey,

Thanks for the replies... I'm going to be here for a few years if all goes to plan so would definitely be good to meet less transient people!

I'm living on the west coast at the moment, near Holetown, but I also have a car (which is not to say that I know my way round yet!) so would be good to meet up.

Cheers,

Rachel
Old Feb 1st 2011, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

no2son is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Rachel,

How did you find the move across and all the stuff that comes with it? I am moving across this time next year to work and live and any pointers you could give would be great.

Thanks in advance
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 2:02 am
Just Joined

Hi no2son,

My move went pretty smoothly really... I travelled v light so didnt have any shipping or anything like that to worry about.

In terms of accommodation I found a LOT of variability within a small price range, but found my current place through Cariblist - I'm sure you've come across that already.

Buying a car was an experience - very expensive, as was the insurance! Make sure you bring proof of no claims with you, I had no end of phone calls over skype trying to get my old insurance company to email mine over! I know people who've bought second hand cars from Simpsons motors and recommended them, but I bought my car privately from an ad in the paper (apparently the Nation on Wed and Fri is the best place to look!) - just make sure you take a good mechanic with you to check it out! You can get a visitors driving licence for either 2 months or a year from the police station.

I'm working at the university here so they'd sent me all the forms etc for my work permit application and submitted it - still havent got it back (4 months on...) but I've been in and out of the country and a letter from your employer seems to do the trick while you're waiting. Also have medical insurance through work though trying to get the policy details from them was an absolute nightmare, still not sure what it covers me for!!!

I've also found banking to be a major headache! I heard that First Caribbean offer a visa debit card, but to get one you need a bankers reference and two character references (from officials - lawyer, doctor, minister of religion etc) so probably worth looking into that before you move.

Can't think of anything else off the top of my head, hope some of that's useful!

Rachel
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 8:18 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rachel its really refreshing to see someone who initially used this site for information and help and then came back and returned the favour by passing on info and advise onto others its the bread and butter of what this forum stands for. It often dissapoints me when members find time to come on only when they need help but never find the time to offer assistance to others and im sure they have relatively the same experiences as contributors like myself, Sunnie, Zane and PGtips, amongst others, but just dont take the time out to pass on the info. We were all new to Barbados at one point and if it wasnt for those contributors who pass on their experiences like you just have then life wouldnt get any easier for any of us.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 9:16 am
Just Joined

DPS03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rachel82
Hey,

Thanks for the replies... I'm going to be here for a few years if all goes to plan so would definitely be good to meet less transient people!

I'm living on the west coast at the moment, near Holetown, but I also have a car (which is not to say that I know my way round yet!) so would be good to meet up.

Cheers,

Rachel
Hi Rachel, I just arrived in Barbados last month and am planning to be here for a few years. Currently staying in St. Philip but am moving to Rockley in a few weeks. Am in a similar position to you, looking to meet people etc so if you and anyone else on here fancies meeting for a drink sometime then let me know.

Hope you're settling in well. I'm trying to sort bank accounts at the moment - did you go with First Caribbean in the end?

Cheers,
Duncan
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 9:45 am
Just Joined

flower26 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hear hear Dipidy! Actually its a shame that this Barbados forum doesn't have an update section like the New Zealand or Canadian forums - it would be great to hear from people who have made the move across to Bim and can tell us of their experiences after a certain amount of time spent there.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 8:52 pm
Just Joined

Hi all,

I just wish I'd found this site before I moved here! would have made life much easier!

Duncan, yep sounds good - definitely up for meeting up! I ended up banking with RBC -they've been ok but planning to switch to First Caribbean as soon as I can get all the crazy documents together to get a Visa debit.

Cheers,

Rachel
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 8:55 pm
Just Joined

jalal94 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all!

I'm 17 years, and live in UK, but planning to move in Barbados. anyone already used to living there? and know how much money I should get when I'm going next year in august I think? and how much gonna have to spend each month including rent. I know perfectly English, Romanian and Arabic if I can do anything with them now doing computing, physics and maths at college

Thanks

Jalal

Last edited by jalal94; Feb 3rd 2011 at 9:29 pm.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

no2son is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all,

I do my banking with RBC, mainly because my father had/has an account there, but was wondering if that is the best bank to be with. I will be moving money from the UK where I have assets that earn me a meager income each month. Could anyone advise please?

Thankyou
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 11:48 pm
Just Joined

jalal94 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by no2son
Hello all,

I do my banking with RBC, mainly because my father had/has an account there, but was wondering if that is the best bank to be with. I will be moving money from the UK where I have assets that earn me a meager income each month. Could anyone advise please?

Thankyou
Hi, I read through most of the posts, and I see that you no moved. could you tell me how much money will i need at the beginning to move there?, and how much would I need throughout a month? like rent, food and nights out, how much would that cost?

I am 17, but I'm planning to move there, as England gets worst and worst each day with the new party. And I'd like to travel there, I am at college t the moment doing Maths, Physics and Computing; But I was planning to come out there next year around august.
and do they have HSBC bank there?

Thanks

Jalal
Old Feb 4th 2011, 12:35 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

jalal.. unless you are a Barbadian by birth or have citizenship or residency, it will be difficult for you to reside here or work here. Barbados isn't a place you can just pick up and move to. Rents are high, unless you want to live in not nice conditions, food prices are high (check out www.supercentre.com) and to own a car.. well you can forget about that. The bus routes are pretty good, better if you live close to Bridgetown or along the south or west coasts.

and getting a job will require a work permit and without much training/schooling, or being in a specialized fied, that might be impossible.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.