Need Gardening Advice

Old Jan 17th 2009, 6:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road
Default Need Gardening Advice

Any gardeners out there?

I have whiteflies on my herbs and vegetables :curse:

Would love to hear your home-made, non-chemical methods of getting rid of the little devils!

Thanks,
Foxy
Old Jan 17th 2009, 8:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all
Default Re: Need Gardening Advice

Foxy! I have something for you...I just exterminated some this week.
Old Jan 17th 2009, 10:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

Foxy (sorry for the short response) have to share the computer with the Little Mr.-- he's watching Shrek 2 for the billionth time.

I have 3 options for white flies:

1. You can take a spray bottle and add in a few drops of dish soap and fill the balance with water. This is basically the equivalent of an insecticidal soap but there is loads of debate on line about which kind of soap to use.

2. I have a sesame oil based spray that comes in concentrate form called Organicide.

3. I have a homemade concoction that I made in a 2 gallon rum jug that among other things has molasses, garlic, hot pepper, cinnamon, blue bomber soap some oil and water. This is also in concentrate form, and apparently under pressure I put it on the same shelf where my husband keeps the real beverages.

I recently read that you should rinse the flies off 1st and then apply the spray of your choice rather than spraying the flies on the leaves.

Hope this helps!
Old Jan 18th 2009, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road

I don't blame him. Shrek 2 is awesome!

Thanks for the advice & concoction offer. I've been spraying the plants with garlic-water & soap, but it only works a little bit. I'll wipe them off first, now.

I also heard that they are attracted to the colour yellow. Apparently you can buy traps that are yellow with sticky stuff on them (like fly paper I guess).

They really like my tomatoes and peppers. Thing is, so do I! And I don't want to share