British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Nationality (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/nationality-636490/)

greenflava Oct 19th 2009 1:39 pm

Nationality

Hi All

I'm always keeping up with latest through this wonderful website and your generous contributions so I'm hoping that some of you may be able to help or perhaps have even been in a similar situation to me.

I am British and I am expecting a child who's father is Bajan. We're not married.

I expect over the coming months I'll have a huge number of questions as the plan is to eventually move over there...but we'll leave that to one side for the moment!

I plan to have my child in the UK. So my questions are as follows:

- How will I then register the child as a Barbados national? Can this be done in the UK or must it be done in Barbados? If both possble, is it easier in either place?
- Does the father need to be present to register the child?
- Will the child be a "full" Barbados citizen? If not, what will be the difference in opportunities/rights if born in the UK? (a recent thread mentioned a difference in school fees for example?)

I'm not closed to having the child in Barbados if I felt that on balance this provided better opportunities for my baby in the long run, so really, any information in any way related would be greatly appreciated as I've had little to no luck on the Barbados embassy websites.

Thanks in advance!
G

greenflava Oct 22nd 2009 12:40 pm

Re: Nationality

No thoughts on this...?:unsure:

Sunniebgi Oct 22nd 2009 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by greenflava (Post 8027896)
Hi All

I'm always keeping up with latest through this wonderful website and your generous contributions so I'm hoping that some of you may be able to help or perhaps have even been in a similar situation to me.

I am British and I am expecting a child who's father is Bajan. We're not married.

I expect over the coming months I'll have a huge number of questions as the plan is to eventually move over there...but we'll leave that to one side for the moment!

I plan to have my child in the UK. So my questions are as follows:

- How will I then register the child as a Barbados national? Can this be done in the UK or must it be done in Barbados? If both possble, is it easier in either place?
- Does the father need to be present to register the child?
- Will the child be a "full" Barbados citizen? If not, what will be the difference in opportunities/rights if born in the UK? (a recent thread mentioned a difference in school fees for example?)

I'm not closed to having the child in Barbados if I felt that on balance this provided better opportunities for my baby in the long run, so really, any information in any way related would be greatly appreciated as I've had little to no luck on the Barbados embassy websites.

Thanks in advance!
G

The child should have citizenship through the father, but as you are not Bajan, I would assume the father would have to do the registering (anyone else comment on this??) The issue with having the child here also is you living here and not being Bajan.. would you be supported by the child's father?? would you be working (which you couldn't do without a work permit, or enough money to support yourself). Right now, as one parent is Barbadian, the child would get citizenship upon birth if born here.

if the child has citizenship via the father it is full citizenship (there isn't any kind of half level etc), but then as I understand it, that child's children would not be entitled to citizenship at all.

I hope this makes sense and helps.

greenflava Oct 23rd 2009 1:10 pm

Thanks so much Sunniebgi.

Sounds like on balance it still makes sense to have the child over here...phewww!

Don't worry, I'm (unfortunately!) very much aware of all the residency/work permit issues related to staying over in Barbados. I'll be over there for some of my maternity leave but that will just be as a visitor...obviously we would all like to be over there together on a permanent basis, but I know this is going to take some time and applying for jobs isn't as high on my agenda right now as it has been ;)

Does anyone else have info on the actual process of registering a baby-bajan either through the Barbados authorities based in the UK, or in Bridgetown?

Actually, maybe I'm being a bit presumptive here...one can hold both British and Barbadian passports, correct?

Thanks
G

shines Oct 25th 2009 1:49 pm

Hi there,

My 2 yr old was born here, has a Bajan dad and at that time we were not married, she has both Bajan and British passports.

HTH

S

Sunniebgi Oct 25th 2009 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by shines (Post 8043559)
Hi there,

My 2 yr old was born here, has a Bajan dad and at that time we were not married, she has both Bajan and British passports.

HTH

S

All of my 3 were born in Barbados and all three hold US Passports and Barbados Nationality cards, just because I'm too lazy to get the passports.. although I may do it sooner rather than later.

There US Passports show there were born here, which means they can travel in and out with no issue.

bamiskados Oct 26th 2009 9:17 am

Hi, i´ll put in my bit, eventhough the facts are a little different, because I am Dutch.
Both my daughters are born in Barbados, with the first , I was not married and I had only visitor status.
Because she was born here from a Bajan father; who HAD to register her himself, she automatically became Bajan, in Holland she had the Dutch nationality because she was born abroad from an unmarried Dutch citizen(mother).
By the time the second was born, we were married and I lived here as a permanent resident, so that was easy( she still has her durch passport though).
Take in mind this is a few years ago.

greenflava Oct 27th 2009 1:38 pm

Thanks everyone. This is all really helpful.

My only query now is if this all still applies (Bajan citizenship through the father, with him registering child in Barbados) when the baby's born in the UK? If anyone has any knowledge of whether that affects things I'd be grateful if you could let me know.

Cheers all!
G

shines Oct 27th 2009 11:29 pm

I think if the baby is born in the UK then you can't register the child in Barbados, you would have to apply for "Citizenship via Descent" instead at immigration in Barbados or at the Barbadian Embassy in the UK...

I may not be a hundred percent right on this one tho, anyone else want to back this up?

Sunniebgi Oct 28th 2009 4:43 pm

shines.. that is correct. the child born in the UK even of a Bajan Father would have to do the immigration application as by descent. if the child is born in Barbados, then the child could simply be registered as a bajan by birth, but I believe the father would have to do the registration.

greenflava Oct 28th 2009 4:45 pm

Got it!

Thanks guys - you've been a great help.

Gx