British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Mum and baby groups in barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/mum-baby-groups-barbados-857657/)

Erin0611 May 6th 2015 2:08 am

Mum and baby groups in barbados

Hi everyone,

I've recently moved to Barbados and I have a 6 month old baby. I'm looking for things to do with her such as mum and baby groups, music classes, baby yoga etc also it's another way to meet other mums and have a bit of a social life. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sunniebgi May 7th 2015 12:58 pm

Re: Mum and baby groups in barbados

There are, or used to be, several.. my first suggestion might be to contact the British High commission to see if they still have contact with some.. I have a friend who is part of one and will check with her to get info.. Also, do a search on here for toddler groups as the info found might still be valid.

Sunniebgi May 7th 2015 1:23 pm

ok.. did a searh.. a year ago, I noted that there was still a Moms and Toddlers group that got together at the Marriott in Hastings.. they meet on Wednesday Mornings at 10:30.. an informal group to start.. they do also meet on Thursday (not at the Marriott) but will double check as my info is a year old..

small_cog Jul 24th 2015 1:45 am

Hi there,

Can anyone provide an update about these groups please? We went along to the Marriott but there was nobody there!

Many thanks.

Sunniebgi Jul 24th 2015 6:52 pm

I'll check with my friend and see what the deal is.. it could be that many of the group are off on holiday..

tortellini Jul 26th 2015 8:36 am

Hello all, I just registered and posted my request about the best Hospital in the Caribbeans to give birth. We are planning to have a child next year. We will be living (and testing) a few islands during this Winter, hopefully beeing able to settle down.

A good health care is a must (hopefully affordable as well)

Sunniebgi Jul 29th 2015 2:33 am

HI Tortellini.. I have a nasty habit of being the bad one on this group. you do understand that you can't just Move to a caribbean island and plan to stay here.. well specifically Barbados.. Unless you have untold tons of money and can come in under a special permit, you will have a limited amount of time in Barbados and to work here, you will have to have a work permit (which isn't easy to get) and even if you brought your own business, you can't work in it with out applying for a work permit, or have citizenship or residency or your mother and or father are Barbadian.. that would be the first thing you have to worry about.. prior to making sure you have a great hospital to have a planned child in.. (and by the way.. your child would have Barbados Citizenship, however.. that doesn't guarantee you the ability to live here (trust me on this one.. I know several couples who came here for work, had children while here and still had issues obtaining residency or were asked to leave..

Serendipidy Jul 30th 2015 8:56 pm

Hey Sunnie...unusual for you and me to chat direct on here lololol

I heard that now the child only gets citizenship if one of the parents has it too

Sunniebgi Aug 2nd 2015 11:09 am

Hey Dips..

that's interesting.. it's possible it could have changed to that.. I may have heard that somewhere, but will check into it..

The biggest issue is our government.. on many many issues.. immigration not withstanding a HUGE issue for expats in the last 7 years..

hope things are well...

LCAC Aug 30th 2015 11:04 pm

Hi there, I'll be coming to the island for 6 months from October and have a 7 month old and a 2.5 year old. Are there any regular groups that we can tap into? thanks :)