Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Moving from UK what to bring or buy

Moving from UK what to bring or buy

Old Jun 22nd 2015, 6:42 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from UK what to bring or buy

Hehe, we dont really have a centipede problem,ctherecare 3-4 inch long black things called congerees but they dont seem to sting anyone, we just kick them out of the door if we see one. There is a foot long monster that lives in undergrowth but its rare, and im told it bites but isnt dangerous. The baddest things on the island are mybones, they are sort of small wasps that sting everything they land on. Im told they arent actually stinging, they are biting, which i dont believe, but they always bite everything they land on and there are a lot around some times of year. People get seriously stung occasionally, usually by accident. A friend is an apiarist (bee keeper) and he explained their activity, if you are near a nest or a ball of them on a tree, if you get in the way of the landing path, or move the nest, warriors will attack you on principal... I was bitten 5 times in about 2 seconds once. Polybia occidentalis is i think the proper name.
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bob_grenada
The baddest things on the island are mybones, they are sort of small wasps that sting everything they land on. Im told they arent actually stinging, they are biting, which i dont believe, but they always bite everything they land on and there are a lot around some times of year. People get seriously stung occasionally, usually by accident. A friend is an apiarist (bee keeper) and he explained their activity, if you are near a nest or a ball of them on a tree, if you get in the way of the landing path, or move the nest, warriors will attack you on principal... I was bitten 5 times in about 2 seconds once. Polybia occidentalis is i think the proper name.
I just looked them up on Wikipedia: P. occidentalis engage in social biting in order to maintain worker productivity. This communication (a worker biting another worker) has been shown to regulate work among the foragers. Because foragers are bitten more often than non foragers, there is a clear intent when one wasp bites another. The bitten wasps, soon after it is bitten, leaves the nest, implying that the bite was effective. Because the worker caste is self organizing, jobs will not get done if individuals do not do their assigned task. Therefore, a reminder comes in the form of these bites.

I have a friend who is married to one of these!
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 3:14 pm
Just Joined

Mac56 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well we are sorted for dealing with mosquito life! ! Thanks
Old Jul 4th 2015, 4:26 am
Forum Regular

yellowsunset is a glorious beacon of lightyellowsunset is a glorious beacon of lightyellowsunset is a glorious beacon of lightyellowsunset is a glorious beacon of lightyellowsunset is a glorious beacon of lightyellowsunset is a glorious beacon of lightyellowsunset is a glorious beacon of lightyellowsunset is a glorious beacon of lightyellowsunset is a glorious beacon of lightyellowsunset is a glorious beacon of lightyellowsunset is a glorious beacon of light

Hi... I usually pick up a supply of things like Germolene and Vicks First Defence nasal spray as you can't get them here. Also english crisps, chocolate, paxo stuffing, tea bags, marmite, deodorant, sunscreen, dishwasher tablets, Britta water filters, electric toothbrush heads and definitely cosmetics.. you can get most of that here but its much more expensive. Also bring lots of underwear.... as the selection here is terrible and/or very expensive. I have heard nappies are expensive here so if you have room would suggest bring lots of them!