Moving the poochums

Old Oct 12th 2011, 9:37 pm
Just Joined

miss_josee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving the poochums

Hi there,

I've been a lurker of the forum for a few weeks now and finally decided to join.

I will be moving to Barbados to marry my Bajan in the Fall of 2012, which has been entirely thrilling news, save for the anxiety that moving my dog has given me.

I understand that it's not an easy process. And I've read about the dreaded quarantine. But I've been reading on the DEFRA website that pets will no longer be required to enter quarantine provided they meet certain pre-entry requirements (the pet travel scheme requirements) as of January 2012.

Music to my ears, but I'm wondering if I could get a few more details from Canadians (or friends of) that have moved their pets. I've perused the forum but haven't been able to find answers to these questions;

I understand that she'll have to fly through the UK; (this might be a stupid question); am I to go with her? Or if there is no need for quarantine and I hire caretakers in the UK, are they able to meet her in the UK and have her board for Barbados?

Could anyone (canadian) share the approximate cost of moving their pet to Barbados?

Are there airlines that are better than others when flying animals?

I believe I've read all of the pooch-related posts on the forum but nothing that's recent. Has anyone moved their pet to Barbados recently? Have you any tips or advice for one anxious dogmom?

Thanks so much... and happy to cyber-meet you all.

Josee
Old Jan 8th 2012, 12:11 am
Just Joined

miss_josee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving the poochums

.... and all I hear is crickets.

If anyone that isn't canadian that moved a dog to Barbados could offer any tips or advice, I'd so appreciate it.