Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Moving to and health care in Barbados

Moving to and health care in Barbados

Old Feb 4th 2011, 2:08 pm
Just Joined

notjindivik is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to and health care in Barbados

Am researching moving to Barbados and would be grateful if someone could help answer a few questions.

Firstly, assuming we buy a house in Barbados my understanding is that we have a right to live there (and no right to work) and after 5 years would qualify for residency. Is this understanding correct?

Secondly, the Barbados web site makes mention of burden – what does that mean as I cannot find any example and the Barbados immigration department couldn’t enlighten me?

Finally, Health Care. It is my understanding that UK has a reciprocal health care arrangement with Barbados whereby UK citizens only pay for prescription drugs and dental care – however, from the discussions I have had with various Bajan people this seems news to them (and also to the Government departments). My assumption thus far is that the reciprocal arrangement is in place, that medical insurance is advisable and once someone becomes resident is free at point of issue. Please enlighten me!

Thanks in anticipation
Old Feb 4th 2011, 3:54 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to and health care in Barbados

Hi im sure someone will give you more concrete advice than mine but there is indeed a reciprocal health agreement in place although i still get heard of UK visitors being charged at QEH so not sure how it works? - many bajans dont know that when they are in the UK they are entitled to healthcare - however many working bajans also have private healthcare in Barbados as the state healthcare requires considerable upgrading and is always a political agenda discussion.

Where did you read that if you buy a place in Barbados that you have the right to live there? I have not heard of this one so hopefully I will learn something new. I know that just because you buy a property in UK it does not allow you live there and Babados models most of its immigration, tax and politics on the UK model.

I look forward to others input on this one
Old Feb 4th 2011, 4:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Serendipidy
Hi im sure someone will give you more concrete advice than mine but there is indeed a reciprocal health agreement in place although i still get heard of UK visitors being charged at QEH so not sure how it works? - many bajans dont know that when they are in the UK they are entitled to healthcare - however many working bajans also have private healthcare in Barbados as the state healthcare requires considerable upgrading and is always a political agenda discussion.

Where did you read that if you buy a place in Barbados that you have the right to live there? I have not heard of this one so hopefully I will learn something new. I know that just because you buy a property in UK it does not allow you live there and Babados models most of its immigration, tax and politics on the UK model.

I look forward to others input on this one
thanks for the reply -by right to live I should have expanded "subject to approval of the ministry", however, my understanding is that this is reasonably straightforward (although it takes time). If I am wrong please advise!!
Old Feb 5th 2011, 10:26 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

also don't assume, just because you have been here for 5 years, that you will get residency.. have friends who have been here 15 years and it's still not happening.. been turned down at least once.. or postponed.. and yet they still keep bringing business and foreign currency into Barbados.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 6:14 pm
Just Joined

sandgirl is an unknown quantity at this point

what I gathered over the years: Just because someone got a house in Barbados don't give them the right to stay here indef. or overstay the date given in their passports at the Airport or 6 month visitors extensions given at the Immigration office. If you got a house here, you can apply for something called "application for variation of stay" or similar (got to check the name again) but you got to provide Immigration: documents of how you going to support yourself and everybody else moving with you, strictly no working allowed and the max. I heard someone got was 3 years. After that you got to re-apply...as a requirement you got to have a valid return ticket to show at anytime..(not sure how that works for 3 years.? or maybe at least until the approval coming through?) I only know retired or "fortunate early" retired couples who made Barbados their home through this, they provided state pension income, savings accounts, police certificate, Landtaxbill, and lots of other document too- one person got residency but after much longer than 5 years...Not sure if all this is still correct that's about 7 years ago.. also just last year I heard of a person her husband bought a nightclub as an ongoing business, they own a house as well as their parents as a vacation home and they had trouble staying in the Barbados to oversee their investment .. however not sure what happened to them but they were at their last wits..

Last edited by sandgirl; Feb 5th 2011 at 6:17 pm.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 7:11 am
Forum Regular

AnthonyNYC has a spectacular aura aboutAnthonyNYC has a spectacular aura aboutAnthonyNYC has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by notjindivik
Finally, Health Care. It is my understanding that UK has a reciprocal health care arrangement with Barbados whereby UK citizens only pay for prescription drugs and dental care – however, from the discussions I have had with various Bajan people this seems news to them (and also to the Government departments). My assumption thus far is that the reciprocal arrangement is in place, that medical insurance is advisable and once someone becomes resident is free at point of issue. Please enlighten me!

Thanks in anticipation
I wonder how it works for Caricom members as well. Healthcare answers seem to be the hardest to find!!!

Anthony
Old Feb 11th 2011, 10:18 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by AnthonyNYC
I wonder how it works for Caricom members as well. Healthcare answers seem to be the hardest to find!!!

Anthony
thanks for the replies – information from official sources seems to be scarce however we will keep pressing on!
Old Feb 11th 2011, 10:32 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

ok.. well there is government healthcare and then private.. Too my knowledge, I don't think it has anything to do with being caricom as much as it does with being a citizen, resident or non-citizen visitor.

there have been issues recently where someone who has been a non-citizen resident in Barbados for years and going to the same polyclinic for years, was denied from being seen and taken care of there.

As a citizen I have the right to free health care or I can go to a private doctor. Due to work issues, I don't, right now, have insurance, but I still go to a private doctor when I need to be seen, because, honestly, I'm not going to sit for 8hours at a polyclinic to be told to come back tomorrow.

as a citizen, however, I should be able to be seen at QEH if needed, but how much is free or cost, I don't know.. public wards are free, private wards you pay for, citizen or not. and you possibly pay more if you are a citizen.

I pay a private Dentist, GYN, Pediatrician etc. I go to a "clinic" for issues such as fevers, etc.. but I do pay.

The only issue maybe getting insurance as a Caricom or non resident.. and this you have to ask the insurance companies.
Old Feb 12th 2011, 12:02 am
Forum Regular

bamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sunniebgi
there have been issues recently where someone who has been a non-citizen resident in Barbados for years and going to the same polyclinic for years, was denied from being seen and taken care of there.
Sunnie, what is a a non-citizen resident according to you?
Old Feb 12th 2011, 1:04 am

A non-citizen resident.. well I'm guessing what I mean is someone Not Barbadian, who has residency.. or who lives here otherwise.. work permit etc
Old Feb 13th 2011, 12:44 am
Forum Regular

bamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nice

A non-citizen resident.. well I'm guessing what I mean is someone Not Barbadian, who has residency.. or who lives here otherwise.. work permit etc

Okay then, I am not barbadian, permanent resident through marriage and have had all my healthcare needs( polyclinic and hospital) taken care off for almost 30 years now. just have to show my ID
Old Feb 13th 2011, 1:12 am

Originally Posted by bamiskados

Okay then, I am not barbadian, permanent resident through marriage and have had all my healthcare needs( polyclinic and hospital) taken care off for almost 30 years now. just have to show my ID
Sorry.. I think I meant to say.. Not Barbadian, who doesn't have residency, but who has a work permit.

I did hear a story the other day about a lady who had lived here for many many years, who had never had a problem, suddenly had an issue with healthcare.. it's like driver's licenses. people who where hear on Work permits (and spouses) could get a regular bdos license.. now you 'Have to have a Barbados ID" to get one. and those with work permits do not have a barbados ID..

so we shall see.