British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Moving to Barbados this summer (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/moving-barbados-summer-755536/)

Alexandra2005 Apr 20th 2012 7:21 am

Moving to Barbados this summer

Moving to Barbados in Summer!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been a voyeur on these discussion boards for some time but decided it was high time to stick my neck out and say ‘hello’.

My partner moved to Barbados in February this year. His work permit is now through so he’s ‘official’ .... drum role please and so far is loving the place. The plan had always been that my daughter and I would follow him down if everything worked out and as things seem to be moving in the right direction, I thought it was about time to started getting up to speed on some considerations I’ll need to make before moving down.

I hope you guys are patient with me as I’m sure I won’t be the first to ask these questions ... but despite trawled this site and other forums, I haven’t found much current information.

Here goes;

Primary Schools for Girls: My daughter is a lovely albeit reserved and sensitive 7 year old. I will need a good school for her with an ethos focussed on personal development delivered in a kind, nurturing and sensitive manner. I have been recommended Codrington but I think its out of our budget and probably an unsustainable expense long term .. I would be really interested to hear opinion on Providence, St Gabs, St Winifrids and the Ursuline convent. We hope to be living around Atlantic Shores and would really appreciate the advice of anyone living in this region with a child attending one of these schools.

Where to live: My partner will be working in Bridgetown and is currently renting near Atlantic Shores. As his accommodation is short term, we will be looking for a house in a friendly, safe, accessible area. As my daughter is an only child, I would love a small gated community where children might have some independence; to ride their bikes, call into friends or just hang out with their pals outdoors. I wouldn’t be adverse to a bit of a social life for me either so a group of friendly moms in proximity would be a great bonus. Does anyone have any suggestions of where we might look for more long term accommodation?

So there you have it ... Those are my two biggies and any help/advice or suggestions would be greatfully appreciated.

We are coming over for a holiday in May and based on your feedback, I hope to visit some schools and cheap out housing.

By the way .. have to mention - I now recognise the regular contributors on this site and I think you're providing a useful if not invaluable service which much take up alot of your personal time. Well done you guys - very much appreciated

Serendipidy Apr 20th 2012 8:51 am

Re: Moving to Barbados this summer

Welcome to the forum Alexandra.. cant answer your questions myself but I am sure someone will come along who can.. quick question tho to understand your situation.. have you already looked into your ability to gain status to reside in Barbados? .. if not you mention your partner but are you two married?

Sunniebgi Apr 20th 2012 12:37 pm

HI Alexandra. Welcome to the boards..

I have the same question as Serendipity. if you aren't married, living here maybe an issue and going to school, for your child (unless she is his daughter as well), will require a Student visa, which would have to be attached to a work visa (which I'm pretty sure can't be done unless he is the father or unless of course you are Barbadian, or have status in Barbados). That will be the first question that will need answering.

I personally can vouch for St. Gabriel's as all 3 of my children have gone through the school. (my youngest is still there, so by the time he leaves, I'll have had about 13 years in the school)..

Gated communities are few and far between in Barbados and don't really mean anything in the grand scheme of things when it comes to living in Barbados. There are neighborhoods that are one street in and one street out from the main road, which would be good for families.. Fort George Heights, St. Michael, is one area, not too far from anywhere.. Sunset Crest, St. James on the west coast. much just simply depends on where you want to be..

I hope some of this helps..

marmiteontoast May 1st 2012 3:44 pm

You may want to try 'Learning for Life' school on www.smartstudying.com - they have a very inclusive school environment and cater well to individual needs.

Hobo May 15th 2012 9:15 pm

Hi Alexandra, I moved to Barbados last year and although I don't have any children, I know a few mums who live in Atlantic Shores. I think most of their children go to Wills Primary School. I know that wasn't on your list but they seems happy with it and also enjoy living in Atlantic Shores.
Hope that helps :)

biswa Jul 20th 2012 12:15 pm

3 Attachment(s)
Dear all

I think there is no problem in traveling to Barbados in summer
the Relative Humidity is 84 % throughout the year

cheers

upupaway Aug 3rd 2012 2:56 pm

I am considering accepting a 5-year posting to Barbados. Schooling is a major consideration as we have two daughters aged 5 and 7.

The Wills School popped up on this thread, but I had not heard it discussed before.

I find the location appealing as I was thinking about Atlantic Shores as a place to live.

Can anyone provide more insight about this school?

Sunniebgi Aug 6th 2012 3:59 am

I don't know much about Wills, but I do know several people who have sent their children there.. some like it.. some do not, but that would be normal (as it makes the world go round.)..... it is much smaller than several of the other private schools on the island, but it doesn't mean your children will have view friends.. just that they would also meet other children in outside of school activities...

upupaway Aug 6th 2012 12:40 pm

Thanks for those thoughts Sunnie.
Perhaps someone who has children there could weigh in?