Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Moving to Barbados for one month

Moving to Barbados for one month

Old Jul 26th 2020, 9:53 am
Just Joined

joboy50 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Moving to Barbados for one month

Hi everyone

I hope you can help me. My partner is a US citizen and I'm a Brit. Unfortunately due to Coronavirus we've been unable to see each other since early March.

We've identified Barbados as somewhere we can both meet (and it happens to be a beautiful country), and are looking to work from there for a month. We are currently searching for accommodation but there seems to be an extremely big disparity between the longer term lets on sites like barbadospropertysearch.com and airbnb, vrbo and even the shorter lets on the same site. We haven't got a huge budget so does anyone know of how we might be able to get a better deal for our one month stay?

I know it's a long shot but any help would be really appreciated.

Thank you
Joe
Old Jul 26th 2020, 1:48 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Barbados for one month

what you find, anywhere, is a longer term contract is always going to be cheaper. .but.. 1 month isn't necessarily considered long term for the case of a rental property. The Airbnb and short term rentals are going to , usually, be more expensive , as they generally cater to a short term stay , which also means providing cleaning services etc.. However. having said that. .depending on when you plan to come, you may actually be able to find someone who might be willing to lower their 1 month coast (which would make the per night rate cheaper.. Also consider that finding something closer to a beach , even with in "walking" distance, may be more expensive than somewhere not so close.

I would recommend finding a few places that you would consider and contact request to contact the owner. I did this a year ago when I needed a location for a 19 day stay (not in Barbados) and luckily for me, when explaining my situation, the owner brought the rate down considerably. you will never know, until you ask.. just saying..

** I will add. there may be stipulations for what is considered a long term or short term rental and what the contracts are with Airbnb, and also possibly what the Barbados government may deem as allowed to be Airbnb rather than regular apartment, or home rental. it may be that you would have to do a 2 15 night stays rather than a 30 night.. I don't know.. not in that industry.. so...

Last edited by Sunniebgi; Jul 26th 2020 at 1:51 pm.
Old Jul 27th 2020, 12:13 pm
Just Joined

Thank you Sunniebgi for the response

We are looking to go late August. I understand that June - September is off-season for Barbados, so I'll shoot some of the hosts a message about potentially bringing their rate down for a one month stay.

I also found that there is a huge difference in cancellation policy between 2 week and 4 week stays. 4 week there's basically no flexibility - after 24 hours you can't get a refund, but with a 2 week stay you can cancel up until 5 days before arrival with full refund (minus Airbnb fees). The latter is obviously much better given that the situation with Covid is constantly changing.

Thanks
Joe
Old Jul 27th 2020, 12:22 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

I spoke to a friend who has a couple of airbnb's.. they are flexible with the amounts and timing .. she says it's not up to Airbnb, it's up to the host on that. I don't have any ideas regarding the cancellation penalties, that may be an Airbnb thing or the host.. you have to ask them.. also.. just to say.. remember. any rate you are seeing on the property search for a regular monthly rate rental is usually unfurnished except for what's called "White Furniture".. meaning Kitchen items..stove, fridge, maybe dishwasher (possibly not) AND those rates are general set for a 12mth contract. not monthly.... if you are coming this year.. as in next month.. you also have Covid-19 and the protocols to deal with as well. .
Old Jul 29th 2020, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

Thank you, that's really helpful.
Old Jul 29th 2020, 3:32 pm

just to say.. the fact is.. the availability right now is, or should be, wide open for what you are looking for. it's not just off season at this point,.. people are not traveling. so. you will have a better chance of finding what you are looking for.

1 thing. do not brow beat the person into giving you a lower rate. I would assume that many will say they can't afford to lower the rate (mainly because they have lost out on rentals in the last 4 months already and they still have bills/mortgages etc, to pay,) but they also can't afford to lose the "rental".

I think the only thing with the 4 week cancellation in general is that it's harder to find someone to rent for 4 weeks rather than 2, so, cancelling a 4 week rental is , for them, losing a lot more money.