Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Moving To Barbados Next Year

Moving To Barbados Next Year

Old Nov 8th 2009, 8:00 pm
Just Joined

BrettUK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving To Barbados Next Year

Hi all,

New to this site, so would just like to introduce myself. My name is Brett, I'm (nearly) 18 and live in Ipswich in England.

Now, I've been to Barbados four times in my life and love everything about the island - it's my favourite place on the planet. I've never really wanted to go to university, and for years all I've wanted to do is make a more permenant move to Barbados, whether it be never returning or a longer time than a holiday.

In June 2010, I will have finished my A Levels and will have pass grades (probably) in business studies, sociology and drama. I also took media studies last year (which I passed). My ideal situation is to work hard for a few months afterwards then make a move to Barbados in September/October when all my friends go to uni and I have more money.

I have so many questions I need answering and I've been trying to gather as much information as possible. My main queries are:

- Is it easy to become a resident in Barbados, be it permenently or for a short term period (e.g six months)? From what I can see it seems quite difficult.
- Are there many job oppotunities in places such as bars? I've got experience in a pub and I currently work at my local Tesco, but other than that I'm going to be fresh out of Sixth Form, would anywhere employ me?
- Also, what are wages like, particularly in contrast to living costs? What's it like in comparison to the UK?

Any help anyone can give me would be very much appreciated.

Cheers,

Brett.
Old Nov 8th 2009, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

bamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nice
Default Re: Moving To Barbados Next Year

Hi Brett,
Big plans, but I am afraid the answers on your questions will be disappointing.

Changces of getting residence are about zero.

Chances on being employed again very low unless you have connections, and even then it will be difficult, because anyones who employes you can/will be fined if found out.

Wages in that type of work will be BDS$6 - $8 per hour wich is about 2-3 pounds, plus tips, and a place to live will cost you around BDS$ 1000 minimum.

You might be better of to go to uni, get a degree and maybe try again in a few years when you have something to offer to the island as far as expertise, in the meantime enjoy your 'bajan' holidays.
Old Nov 8th 2009, 9:02 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Agree 100% with bamiskados.
Old Nov 8th 2009, 11:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

shines will become famous soon enoughshines will become famous soon enough

I agree apart from the $1000 BBDS for rent... Surely he could rent a room and pay a lot less than that. My rent on a 3 bed, 2 bath house is $900 a month...

But that aside, you are unlikely to get a work permit/work or residency here.

You may be better off re evaluating your Uni thoughts, research what is missing in Barbados, or what may be lacking here in the next 3 - 4 years, study, get good grades and hope your skill set will them find you employment here... Or even go into that type of work in the UK, and not do Uni and get a few years experience under your belt.

It is fabulous to have dreams and I wish I had a clue at 17/18 about what I wanted to do, hindsight being marvellous... Stick with your goals but be realistic and look to the long term rather than a quick fix for now, time is on your side after all!

I hope that helps, good luck!
Old Nov 9th 2009, 8:11 am
Forum Regular

expat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really nice

Hi Brett

Another alternative might be to go to University in Barbados:

http://www.cavehill.uwi.edu/index.asp

I know a couple of english girls who are there at the moment.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 2:43 pm
Just Joined

BrettUK is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone. A bit disappointing but kind of expected it to be honest.

I'd be up for just spending some time there. I understand the maximum stay for a holiday is six months. Would I be able to find some sort of employment while I'm there and then apply to stay?

Also, what's the construction trade like? For years I've been very interested in getting an apprentiship as a carpenter, something I've thought about doing after Sixth Form. So, for example, would I have more chance of gaining entry after becoming fully qualified to help the island's construction market?
Old Nov 9th 2009, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

bamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nice

Originally Posted by shines
My rent on a 3 bed, 2 bath house is $900 a month...
Shines, I would love to find a place like that, but they are very hard to find...maybe you´ve been living there for a while? Otherwise let me know when you plan on moving

But you are wright, a room can be rented for about $150 a week and maybe a studio, to find a 1-bed is already hard. Anything larger under a 1000..???
Old Nov 9th 2009, 4:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road

Hi Brett, and welcome.

I'm not sure how much the Immigration procedures have changed within the last year, so this may be slightly out of date now. If you wanted to stay longer than the stamp they give you at the airport, you may have to prove that you can financially support yourself. I'm afraid your young age may play against you a little, and cause a bit of suspicion among the Immigration office when you apply to stay longer. Just a bit of warning for you.

I'm not sure how many qualified carpenters there are on the island, but likely you'd be better off finding work if you did have a trade or uni degree or something like that.

Working at a bar or other unskilled labour will be pretty much against the law for you here - it happens, to be honest, and not everyone gets caught, but you're running a risk. You won't get a work permit for unskilled labour, so you'd be working illegally.

If you did have a trade that was desired here, you'd still have to get a work permit, which is usually facilitated through the employer. This means you'd need to find a job before moving here, put in the paperwork, and wait. Then when approval comes through, you would be allowed to move here.

Might be better to come here as a tourist for as long as they'll let you, and see if you can make some contacts for job-hunting later. Or, as Shines suggested, enroll in Uni here.

Good luck to you.
Foxy
Old Nov 9th 2009, 5:33 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Brett its great to see young people with a focus other than going clubbing and getting drunk lol

Unfortunately as many of the posters have already let you know your dreams are a little premature at present.

The cost of living here can be as expensive as Ipswich but the salary a 3rd - thats if you get legal employment - illegal is a lot less and to be honest they treat people badly as they know you cant complain.

At the moment the majority of people are getting 1 month entry at the airport (retirees are gettin anything from 3-6 months) after that you have to trapse down to immigration and request an extension and get asked questions and pay money

An apprenticeship is quite unlikely as you can imagine all the bajan youngsters are looking for work too so they will have first options on those types of things. What a lot of people also dont realise is that if by any chance you were in a position to apply for a work permit (this is usually done by the company employing you and costs money and time) if the permit is refused you will be asked to leave the island for a year at present but under the new rules you will be told to leave for 2 years with no re-entry during that period.

Its a tiny country as you know and they have to protect their resources including light, gas, water, housing, careers etc - something we in UK should have thought about a long time ago.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 5:44 pm
Banned

neal brown is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys i agree it not easy to get a job, but its not very hard to get residence permit in Barbados especially if you are a regular traveller to the island i think a lot of you know this and keep it to your self with residency you can go and come as you please no question ask and stay as long as you want, instead of you guys trying to get a job and work permit which is much difficult get a lawyer and that lawyer can get you what you want but it will cost you.Am speaking about what i know and not what i hear.Any person seeking to live in Barbados seek residency permit you can do this yourself at immigration but you have to be a regular traveller to barbados and you will have to be comming for quite sometime if not you will not be qualified,forgot to mention make sure you got some money.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 6:35 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Neal are you for real? "Its not hard to get residency"??????????? How stupid of me not to see the ease especially as my lawyers were informed that you cannot claim till at least after two work permits - but then again you obviously know something or someone she dont??

Well im looking forward to others response to that mine is currently LOL!!!!! I also want to name and shame all of those of you who have been keeping this to yourselves lol - how selfish!!!

Also to add a statement at the end saying "oh make sure you got money" is like saying oh yeah any one can become queen of england then adding right at the end "oh but make sure you or royal descent"

How easy was it for you to get your residency and how much money did it take? Im sure a lot more than the average 18 year old might have lol

Last edited by Serendipidy; Nov 9th 2009 at 6:37 pm.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 6:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by neal brown
Hi guys i agree it not easy to get a job, but its not very hard to get residence permit in Barbados especially if you are a regular traveller to the island i think a lot of you know this and keep it to your self
Incorrect. I do not believe it is easy to get residency and formulated my reply as such. Why would I lie?
Old Nov 9th 2009, 7:51 pm
Banned

neal brown is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi once again i am a Barbadian i dont need a residency or work permit.My fiance is not Barbadian, i am not going to discuss my business i can only let people here know the truth and you guys can take it from there,as i said i am talking from what i know not what i heard,my fiance travel to Barbados very often over the years and one immigration officer stop her at the airport and ask her why dont you go and get a residence permit you are here to often that is how it all started.The reason why i mention you must have money every one knows money talks bullshit walk am not here to cry down anyone where money is concern but my advise to you is to find the right lawyer and you will get work permit,citizenship and what ever you want and all your documents will be legall this has nothing to do with black market if you guys know the right people you will get through.However my fiance although having property now in Barbados she never seek citizenship or work permit only residency because her business is in europe.The problem you can have the best lawyer in the world if they dont have the right connections nothing will get done,at the end of the day every person will not be lucky to get this done.So i will keep this lawyer(lady) no matter what.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

shines will become famous soon enoughshines will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by bamiskados
Shines, I would love to find a place like that, but they are very hard to find...maybe you´ve been living there for a while? Otherwise let me know when you plan on moving

But you are wright, a room can be rented for about $150 a week and maybe a studio, to find a 1-bed is already hard. Anything larger under a 1000..???

LOL - we are actually moving at the end of this month, we live in St Lucy so if that works for you then let me know.. ;-)
Old Nov 9th 2009, 9:18 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

Neal.. that is very interesting.. what you have written.. firstly.. in the words of our dear friend Jack Bowman.. do you think you could try a little english.. instead of disjointed speaking.. if you are typing to fast slow down and make your posts a bit more clear and understandable.

2ndly.. I find it interesting what you say about residency.. I'm guessing your girlfriend has gone and been granted residency??.. That's great but really isn't right

how come 2 couples I know, both who have Barbadian Born Children and have lived here for more than 8 years each, bringing money into the island and keeping people employed, can't get residency.. seems a little odd to me that your girlfriend, who only comes here on holiday.. who's business is not even here, so any foreign trade is out of the question, can get residency at the drop of a hat.. is she british?? or is she a caribbean national??? could make a difference..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.