Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Moving to Barbados as a missionary

Moving to Barbados as a missionary

Old Aug 14th 2019, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

Twill is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Barbados as a missionary

what type of work permit do I need?
Old Aug 15th 2019, 8:26 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Barbados as a missionary

hey Twill.. Welcome to the forum.

I guess the first question is.. are you just showing up?? or are you coming as part of an organization that is already based here. and I guess the next question would be, where are you coming from..

I think the other part of the conversation would be. You do understand that Barbados is a pretty "Christian" country. . Many churches. several different religions.. main stream, and maybe some not so much. Baptist, Catholic, Anglican (the largest population on the island, along with Catholic) , Jew, christian Science, , Seventh Day Adventist, and variations of those. as well as Rastafarian.

You will pretty much find a church on every street, close to Rum shops even.

So just to say.. I'm not sure who your are considering talking to as part of your missions work, but. just thought I'd add that all in there..

Last edited by Sunniebgi; Aug 15th 2019 at 8:31 pm.
Old Aug 15th 2019, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

Thank you. I appreciate the response. I’m coming as part of an organization that is headquartered here in the U.S. but we don’t currently have a branch there.
Yes I’m aware of the “Christianity” in Barbados, but nonetheless I believe we’re offering something unique.
Old Aug 16th 2019, 11:06 am

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Twill

intriguing post. Forgive my ignorance as to what a job description for a missionary is but for a work permit to be approved the company in question has to prove that there is no one in Barbados suitable to do the job. Your company will need to submit your "work permit" with a job description etc

Dips
Old Aug 16th 2019, 1:22 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

Twill. if you, or the group you plan to represent , are planning to come to Barbados, I would be wise to first check with the Barbados immigration office, especially if you are coming to Barbados for any other reason than a holiday/Vacation. https://www.immigration.gov.bb/Default.aspx and especially if it's to establish a "business"/Church etc.. would you care to enlighten us as to what type of group this is?? the name??

thanks
Old Aug 16th 2019, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

Yes I’m in touch with immigration now. It’s just a Christian group with a focus on discipleship and church planting. Our mission is to “go into all the world.” And thus we have no presence in Barbados
Old Aug 16th 2019, 2:44 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twill
Thank you. I appreciate the response. I’m coming as part of an organization that is headquartered here in the U.S. but we don’t currently have a branch there.
Yes I’m aware of the “Christianity” in Barbados, but nonetheless I believe we’re offering something unique.
I suspect that your idea of 'unique' may not match the Barbados government's definition in their rules for non-nationals

Can I work in Barbados??

In limited instances, individuals who have special skills which are in short supply in Barbados may be granted a work permit for a specific post on the basis that there is no qualified Barbadian available for the post. Applications for work permits in these cases are processed by the employer and not the prospective employee.

Non-national participation in the retail sector is not encouraged, and similarly in the tourism sector every effort is made to restrict the operation of tourism ancillary services (restaurants, bars, ground transportation water sports, etc.) to Barbadian nationals, except in cases where the operation is unique and the expertise unavailable locally, or where the operation is likely to make a significant contribution to the local tourist product.
https://www.foreign.gov.bb/foreign-r...rk-in-barbados

Old Aug 16th 2019, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by Twill
Yes I’m in touch with immigration now. It’s just a Christian group with a focus on discipleship and church planting. Our mission is to “go into all the world.” And thus we have no presence in Barbados
Not to belittle what you are trying to do.. but. I would have to say that.. almost 100pct of the churches in Barbados focus on Discipleship and church planting. We have the straight religions as well as offshoots who focus on gathering those who don't want straight religion.
More info:
https://www.totallybarbados.com/arti...n-in-barbados/

you will be. as they say.. preaching to the choir.. if you have any idea what that means.
Old Aug 16th 2019, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

Understandable....thank you
Old Aug 16th 2019, 5:23 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting that you would seek to preach to the people of a country but seem reluctant to name your organisation?

If it is a legitimate organisation surely you would be happy for people to know about it?
Old Aug 16th 2019, 5:35 pm
Just Joined

From your point of view I can totally understand that, but I’m not yet preaching to anyone. I just don’t want to put the cart before the horse and get too far ahead of myself. I originally didn’t expect this process to be so daunting, and I believe I may be moving too quickly. That’s why I’m now taking Sunnie’s advice and just contacting immigration to see what their advice is.
Appreciate you taking the time to reply. Thank you
Old Aug 16th 2019, 5:36 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, as I said ...
Old Aug 16th 2019, 6:15 pm

I have agree with UK Grenada. we aren't actually asking you to preach to anyone. but knowing what organization it is may help determine if we, those of us that live here, think it's even worth your while.... There are many people who think we are a 3rd world country in many respects, but we rank up there with some 1st world countries in many things. and an amble supply of religions, and religious beliefs, is one of them..

good luck..
Old Aug 17th 2019, 12:28 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

My inquiring mind (sounds better than I'm nosy) would guess that Twill is a member of the Potter's House Christian Fellowship, officially known as Christian Fellowship Ministries. Absolutely no disrespect meant to you Twill, I'm just one of those annoying people who sees a clue and then has to follow it up
Old Aug 17th 2019, 12:52 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by uk_grenada

If it is a legitimate organisation surely you would be happy for people to know about it?
Happy for Twill to name this group/organisation/fellowship. That is within the Site Rules.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.