Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

moving to Barbados end of March

moving to Barbados end of March

Old Apr 28th 2008, 1:07 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: moving to Barbados end of june

Originally Posted by MABEL
Hello Islandmom,

I am from barbados and i already have my ID card Citizenship and passport i hav had this all my life. My husband is doing his citizenship through marriage and we were lucky enough to had got married in barbados, which made it easy when they did there checks.

As for my company i dont need and visas.

Do you have any kids? How long have you been out there? and what is it like?

oh thats easy then when you asked about living in Barbados I assumed you were non bajan.

I actually live in the Grenadines - about 100 miles away from Barbados. We've been here 4 years now, I am a Caricom citizen, I have a Trinidad passport and my husband and kids have residency here.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 2:16 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to Barbados end of March

Mabel, unless the rules have changed, your husband can only get Residancy. By law a foriegn born women married to a Barbadian can hold Barbados citizenship, but a foriegn born man married to a Barbadian women can only hold residency. it's not a problem, as with residency they can also work without the requirement of a work permit, but it also takes time to get that (just like it would to get citizenship). This is an old law and should be changed.

Good luck.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 3:25 pm
Just Joined

MABEL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sunniebgi
Mabel, unless the rules have changed, your husband can only get Residancy. By law a foriegn born women married to a Barbadian can hold Barbados citizenship, but a foriegn born man married to a Barbadian women can only hold residency. it's not a problem, as with residency they can also work without the requirement of a work permit, but it also takes time to get that (just like it would to get citizenship). This is an old law and should be changed.

Good luck.
God knows what the rules are, one person tells you one thing and someone else tells you something different. Luckly for me one of the officers dealing with it is my mums ex from her youth and he is speeding it up for me. But thank you for your advise. Do you live in Barbados? do you have any kids?

Thanks
Old Apr 28th 2008, 3:30 pm
Just Joined

Good luck.
Originally Posted by islandmom
oh thats easy then when you asked about living in Barbados I assumed you were non bajan.

I actually live in the Grenadines - about 100 miles away from Barbados. We've been here 4 years now, I am a Caricom citizen, I have a Trinidad passport and my husband and kids have residency here.
Oh ok, i have been st vincent and bequia, would like to see the other islands in the grenadines. Also been Tobago, but i would like to Trinidad, I love rotis anyway maybe we could meet up either in barbados or the grenadines.

let keep in touch
Old Apr 28th 2008, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tulipknife
Man, its been quiet in here recently.....zzzzzzzzzz
Hello how things?
Old Apr 28th 2008, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

tulipknife is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: moving to Barbados end of March

Hello Mabel.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 10:11 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

HI Mabel. I've been here, married to a bajan, for 15 1/2 years. I have 3 bajan born children ages 12, 10, 6yrs. I currently don't work, really, if you don't count shuttling the kids here and there, being the Chairman of the PTA at one of the schools they attend, and keeping the house running...

keep us posted on your progress..
Old Apr 29th 2008, 10:41 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tulipknife
Hello Mabel.
Hello, are you out in barbados yet?

I noticed in one of your post that you are from scotland?, What part? my partner is from aberdeen.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 10:44 am
Just Joined

HI Mabel. I've been here, married to a bajan, for 15 1/2 years. I have 3 bajan born children ages 12, 10, 6yrs. I currently don't work, really, if you don't count shuttling the kids here and there, being the Chairman of the PTA at one of the schools they attend, and keeping the house running...

keep us posted on your progress..
That is work and hard work at that, i only have one and he is 9yrs, and he is hard enough work. May be can meet up when i get there?, what school do they go to, i have two on my list, but i am still deciding on which one.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 1:58 pm

my 12yr old is at St. Ursulas Secondary for Girls, my 10yr old girl and 6yr old boy are at St. Gabriel's (freshly painted I might add and looking very nice). I like St. Gabriel's because it has a good feel about it. We have a diverse mix of children, a good mix of national's and caricom children, with smaller numbers than in the past of ex-pat children.

Let me know when you are heading this way and getting settled, we can meet up after you arrive..
Old Apr 29th 2008, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

my 12yr old is at St. Ursulas Secondary for Girls, my 10yr old girl and 6yr old boy are at St. Gabriel's (freshly painted I might add and looking very nice). I like St. Gabriel's because it has a good feel about it. We have a diverse mix of children, a good mix of national's and caricom children, with smaller numbers than in the past of ex-pat children.

Let me know when you are heading this way and getting settled, we can meet up after you arrive..

I was looking at sending my boy to codrington school who where very helpfull and friendly or st winifreds which i have no comment about at i am still awaiting a responses from. i will be there at the end of june, my boy turns 10 at the begining of july so i was going to have a party for him, so your little ones will be invited, i will let you know more nearer the time.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 11:32 pm

Codrington has just raised there fees for all years. the secondary regular fees (which are actually expat fees) went from approx 8,000.00bbd per term to over 12,000.00bbd per term.. I'm guessing they are going for the expat companies to pay, as I don't know very many locals who can (or would) afford that much when schools are much less or free)

did you try St. Gabriel's?? Sometimes the older they are the easier it is to get them into a class. Annie will be in J4 (class 4) next year and both of the classes in her year this year only have about 22 students in each. The normal size is 27 students per class (approx).

also, do you know that your son, if not at Codrington, will have to sit the 11plus exam in May, or you might be able to appeal to the Ministry of education to allow him into J3 (class 3) so he has 2 years before the 11plus. but that will depend on his scores from his school in England.

thanks for the invite. We may be away (or I maybe away), but not sure yet. I'll let you know.
Old Apr 30th 2008, 1:38 am
Forum Regular

brionyj is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: moving to Barbados end of March

Just to say re Codrington - around 30/40% are bajan/caricom who enjoy special fee discounts to ensure the school has a balanced mix of students and is not purely ex-pat.

The main difference at TCS is that is follows the IB programme and the teaching style/culture is totally different to the local 11 plus system.
Old Apr 30th 2008, 1:56 am

Yes I'm aware of the "discount" for Barbadian children but the Secondary school fee has just been put up by 2000.00 a term from last year. Only someone with deep pockets or a company funding the bill could afford that.

I'm not saying the Codrington is a bad school, it's just damn expensive for a country that already has good education going for it. (it's just a shame that the ministry hasn't figure out how to get rid of the 11plus)
Old Apr 30th 2008, 8:28 am
Just Joined

Yes I'm aware of the "discount" for Barbadian children but the Secondary school fee has just been put up by 2000.00 a term from last year. Only someone with deep pockets or a company funding the bill could afford that.

I'm not saying the Codrington is a bad school, it's just damn expensive for a country that already has good education going for it. (it's just a shame that the ministry hasn't figure out how to get rid of the 11plus)
Hello Sunniebgi

I can assure you i do not have deep pockets, its just being in the Uk, the only form of contact is over the phone or via email. Now i have emailed and call st gabriels, i have had no response to any email and that was over a three month period. and as for the phone calls the ones which they did answer they were rude, promise to send out information and forms and 8 month later nothing. Being a business woman i do expect some sort of response in a day of computers. Also you would expect a polite and friendly person to be helpfull on a phone exspicialy if you are calling from overseas. Its called first impressions. The school might be brillient with teacher etc, but you have to get pass the receptionist first. i think eight months is enough. :curse:

As for st winifreds, never responded to emails, but was professional on the phone, sent out application form, got a reciept back and was told i would know if my son as been accepted at easter, i even phoned yesturday and they are still deciding. (The problem is as you all we talking about, 11plus. I dont want to pull him out of school here to go and sit in barbados with no school offer cause they can't be asked to be professional). Whiles Codrington was bothered to respond to emails, very professional on the phones, emailed everything, i sent everything via email as well, extremly professional (even though my husband reconse they were so professional because they want your money, being there fees are much hire) But that should be the same for all the schools i contacted, why should i pay for less than perfect. Sorry if i sound snobby, but i am very picky when it comes to my son and my money.

Also i can't hold my son back a year just so he would sit the 11plus later, i would rather leave him in school here (uk).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.