Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

moving to Barbados end of March

moving to Barbados end of March

Old Feb 1st 2008, 12:04 pm
Just Joined

selkirk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: moving to Barbados end of March

Hi John, check your hotmail, I just sent you a message.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

simon-hannah is an unknown quantity at this point

hi sophie we are also hoping to spend a year in barbados and are looking at coming over towards the end of summer, i too have a 15 month old except mine is a girl, ive also got two boys aged 7 and 5 and will have a new born when we get there. i know i am mad !! we dont know where we will be based but i guess your not that far from anywhere over there. let us know how you get on with the move hannah
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 9:23 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

well I think all you guys will love it.

The only real info I can give on Barbados is the traffic problems and where I wouldnt want to live - you however might find these places as where you do want to live as its all very personal and for each individual to decide.

South cost (christchurch etc) is BUSY! I mean heaving with hotels lining the beach road from start to finish, apartment blocks, restaurants and thousands of weaty tourists everywhere. Traffic on that coast road SUCKS all day long.

East coast is much much quieter BUT you'll find your time in the car commuting as pretty much everything you want and need will be south or west coast. If your hubby works on the east coast I suggest HE commutes rather than you live there as he will drive to work and back where as you will be running round doing things all day.

West coast lots going on, I much prefer it to the south coast and the further up the better. Even inland past Westmoreland area and up towards the Apes Hill development is nice.

The infrastructure roadwise is way behind the mad hotel building and population boom but its coming.

take a look at where you as the wife will need to be closest as you'll be doing the school runs, shopping, meetin with people, docs, dentists etc etc so you need to be living closer to where all that goes on. Hubs only has to commute to and from work so he should be able to deal with the distance better.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 5:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

shines will become famous soon enoughshines will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by islandmom
well I think all you guys will love it.

The only real info I can give on Barbados is the traffic problems and where I wouldnt want to live - you however might find these places as where you do want to live as its all very personal and for each individual to decide.

South cost (christchurch etc) is BUSY! I mean heaving with hotels lining the beach road from start to finish, apartment blocks, restaurants and thousands of weaty tourists everywhere. Traffic on that coast road SUCKS all day long.

East coast is much much quieter BUT you'll find your time in the car commuting as pretty much everything you want and need will be south or west coast. If your hubby works on the east coast I suggest HE commutes rather than you live there as he will drive to work and back where as you will be running round doing things all day.

West coast lots going on, I much prefer it to the south coast and the further up the better. Even inland past Westmoreland area and up towards the Apes Hill development is nice.

The infrastructure roadwise is way behind the mad hotel building and population boom but its coming.

take a look at where you as the wife will need to be closest as you'll be doing the school runs, shopping, meetin with people, docs, dentists etc etc so you need to be living closer to where all that goes on. Hubs only has to commute to and from work so he should be able to deal with the distance better.

totally agree withh all the above...!
Old Feb 4th 2008, 10:44 am
Just Joined

Thanks, for the info. I was thinking that a good place to live would be further up the West Coast as per your suggestion. Perhaps St Thomas, is this nice? My husband Stuart will be coming out at the beg of March to trudge round estate agents and view lot's of properties for rental. I guess he'll get a pretty good idea about where we want to be then but it's good to get some feedback from people who are there already.

I won't be doing any school runs yet as my son is only 16 months old. Infact whilst I'm here do any of you know of a good playgroups or nursery? My son attends nursery here in London 3 days a week and loves it. I was thinking of perhaps taking him to a playgroup for a few hours a morning, perhaps 2 days a week. He loves being around other children and It'll be a great way for me to meet other Mums on the island.

Thanks again.....

Sophie
Old Feb 19th 2008, 1:37 pm
Just Joined

MOLLY01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sophie

We are looking to move over to Barbados in September as our son will be going to secondary school over there. We did stay in Barbados a while ago when he was at primary school and found it to be a great place to live.
We are bringing our 3 dogs and possibly 2 horses over so that should keep us busy!

If you like yoga there are lots of classes. Waterskiing is great. The horseriding is great on the beach as is the polo.The tennis is good.Aqua aerobics was always interesting and there are also some great diving places. Eating out is obviously v good!! (lobsters alive is a great place to eat)

You wont be short of anything to do!

If you are lost for anything to do and you would like to go to any of the above just let me know!!:

Regards

Jackie
Old Feb 20th 2008, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Jackie, I shall definitely be trying out alot of those things and If there's anything else I think of in the meantime I'll be sure to give you a shout. Am getting really excited now as it's only about a month till we move. Goodbye grey London, hello sunny Barbados!!

Sophie
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 10:01 pm
Just Joined

elmo_uk is an unknown quantity at this point

I too am moving over at the end of March and leaving hubby in the UK, as he is unable to join us at present. I'm a mother to a 4yr old girl and would love to meet other mums, however I'm going to be working full time. We hope to be living in the St Michaels area, anyone nearby in similar circumstances that would like to get together?
Old Feb 24th 2008, 4:48 pm
Just Joined

kateric is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there

We too are looking to come over to Barbados. We are from NZ but lived in London for years and are now in the Caribbean living in Mustique. We have been to Barbados several times as it is only a 40 min plane trip from here. We have a 15 month old boy and a nearly 4 year old girl. Life in the Caribbean is great so you will have no problems with the kids loving it. The weather is magic and despite being and island there is still loads to do. All the usual things for kids to do...playgrounds, swimming, tennis, horseriding and that is just in Mustique which is tiny! I too would be interested in a playgroup for the kids when we get there so if anyone has any information on them I would appreciate it.
Cheers
Kate
Old Feb 25th 2008, 3:32 am
Just Joined

zaina is an unknown quantity at this point

this looks like the "our husbands are moving us to barbados blog" lol i happen to be a call center manager about to become a lady of leisure, we'll be in barbados too around march/april depending on the visa and it'll be really nice to meet up with you girls
Old Feb 25th 2008, 1:23 pm
Just Joined

wanitta is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: moving to Barbados end of March

Originally Posted by sherril
<<snip>>

Look forward to hearing from you soon

Sherril
hi, IM Moving to barbados too in march with my son and mother. my son is 3 and am looking to send himto st patricks primary school. I havent yet found wk but have been sending my cv to all the dealers out there. Ill be staying in ch ch. where would you be staying.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 2:22 pm
Just Joined

Hiya Zaina, Kateric and Elmo would be great to get together. What are your e-mail address's? We are going to living in Ch.Church about 5 mins for Oistins and we move into our new house on 1st April! Got so much crap to sort through before we go it is scary!! :curse: Would be great for Jacob to make some friends and me too, don't really know anyone yet!
Sophie
p.s are any of you on Facebook?
Old Feb 25th 2008, 4:18 pm
Just Joined

kateric is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. I know what it is like sorting things out with kids...we had to move from NZ to Mustique with only 4 weeks warning, with a 10 month old and a 3 year old so Good Luck. I am on facebook...Kathryn Cowley. What about you?
Cheers
Old Feb 25th 2008, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

elmo_uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Ladies
I'd love to catch up with you all, and my daughter is desperate to find some new friends! Particularly as Daddy is going to remain in the UK for the forseeable. We will be moving over on the 31st March, house etc. is already sorted (I'm close to Rockley Beach, near the golf club) and we are hoping that our daughter will get into the local school.

Selkirk - We were over in February and had a great time at the fish fry in Oistins! You are gonna have a ball living so close by!

my email is [email protected]
Old Feb 25th 2008, 11:14 pm
Just Joined

Richie G is an unknown quantity at this point

HI, sorry to go off the beaten track. My wife and I are moving out there next year but are presently sending out a container full of our furniture. Are the customs very strict, ie; do they check every box to see if you have any new items (to charge the levy on?) or are they happy to just see the boxes are all intact and go into your property. We all know that moving to a new life/country you are going to buy some new items, but to expect paying a 80% duty is a little high. Any ideas ?????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.