Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Moving to Barbados early 2023

Moving to Barbados early 2023

Old Dec 5th 2021, 8:55 am
Just Joined

Alba051220 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Barbados early 2023

Hi all,
My wife and I hope to move to Barbados in early 2023. We are both under 60 and have a property on the South Coast. I will be in receipt of a pension when we move and we will have a lump sum as revenue/income until 2025 when my wife can draw her pensions.

Having read through a lot of questions/responses on this thread, I wonder if anyone could advise me on the following:

Are we better to apply for SEP when we get to the island (how long will it take) or should we apply in the UK (risking it taking too long before we fly or it's too efficient and we waste valuable weeks of the visa)!

From experience are "lump sums" acceptable in lieu of regular pension/salary payments as evidence when applying for SEP?

Can anyone recommend a reputable health insurance provider on island?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Andy and Gail.
Old Dec 7th 2021, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

julesdoopydoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Barbados early 2023

Hi Andy and Gail

We moved here in 2017 - both under 60 and drawing pensions.
We too had our property already as we bought it in 2015.
We started the SEP application as soon as we got here. Not sure you can apply before arriving on island. It took the full 6 months (had to extend our 6 month visa for one month - another $100 in the Gov coffers!!)
We had no problems really. I don't remember many questions about our income, either pension over lump sum. And our pensions aren't huge by any means.
We had to show proof of medical insurance and we are with Sagicor - claim for hubbies regular medication. A necessary expense for us.
In all honesty, opening a bank account was more complicated and time consuming!!

Ask away if you need anything else.

Regards, Julie
Old Dec 7th 2021, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by julesdoopydoo
Hi Andy and Gail

We moved here in 2017 - both under 60 and drawing pensions.
We too had our property already as we bought it in 2015.
We started the SEP application as soon as we got here. Not sure you can apply before arriving on island. It took the full 6 months (had to extend our 6 month visa for one month - another $100 in the Gov coffers!!)
We had no problems really. I don't remember many questions about our income, either pension over lump sum. And our pensions aren't huge by any means.
We had to show proof of medical insurance and we are with Sagicor - claim for hubbies regular medication. A necessary expense for us.
In all honesty, opening a bank account was more complicated and time consuming!!

Ask away if you need anything else.

Regards, Julie
HI Julie,

Many thanks for your reply. We figured that applying for the SEP whilst on island might be better, 5 and 1/2 years for the price of 5! When you say you extended your visa by a month, was that just an extension of your permitted 6 month stay? The way I understand it, UK citizens can stay on island up to 6 months visa free currently. Grateful if you could clarify.

We already have a checking account on island with our mortgage so that's one less thing to worry about.

We definitely will have more questions I'm sure, hope you don't mind us pestering!

Kind regards,
Andy and Gail.
Old Dec 8th 2021, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

julesdoopydoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Andy,

Yes, that's exactly what I meant. First 6 months for free!

Ask away.

Julie
Old Dec 13th 2021, 8:27 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

Just to advise. been reading on a Facebook Travel Group for Barbados that UK citizens are NOW only being given 3 months.. even if you ask for it, and even if your ticket is done for 6 months. Giving 3 month stamps (which are electronic, not in your passport.. and you are being advised to check with immigration about an extension to 6mths. or more..(which is paid for).

so may want to check directly with Immigration on that point.
Old Dec 13th 2021, 8:41 pm
Good day

bs_wave is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, most travellers are given a maximum entry period of three months on arrival.

Only certain passport holders are eligible to stay for up to six months, such as British nationals.

If your entry visa is valid for three months and you want to stay longer, you need to submit an application for an Extension of Stay with the Immigration Department. This will require attendance at an appointment at their office in Bridgetown. Acceptance is at the discretion of the Immigration Department and a non-refundable application fee of BDS $100 applies.

Persons can email the Immigration Department to confirm their entry period: [email protected]

Last edited by bs_wave; Dec 13th 2021 at 10:38 pm.
Old Dec 14th 2021, 12:00 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

BSWAVE.. as I said.. there have been some reports of late that British Citizens are ONLY being given 3 months.. even if they ask for 6 months.. and they are being told. .they would get 3 months electronically, but can go to immigration and apply for an additional time , with payment, at that point. So.. Being a British Citizen no longer, apparently, gets you 6 months. May work for some, but possibly not for others..
Old Dec 15th 2021, 9:00 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe you need to consider here?
Old Dec 23rd 2021, 9:25 pm
Good day

bs_wave is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sunniebgi
BSWAVE.. as I said.. there have been some reports of late that British Citizens are ONLY being given 3 months.. even if they ask for 6 months.. and they are being told. .they would get 3 months electronically, but can go to immigration and apply for an additional time , with payment, at that point. So.. Being a British Citizen no longer, apparently, gets you 6 months. May work for some, but possibly not for others..
It's not just British nationals. The Immigration Department has begun enforcing this policy on most foreign nationals.
Old Dec 26th 2021, 6:59 pm

Most other foreign nationals don't get 6 months..(under normal circumstances) 28 days, to 3 months at best..
Old Dec 27th 2021, 12:00 pm

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

6 months for caricom countries?
Old Jan 15th 2022, 2:46 pm
Just Joined

Hello. Thanks for all the helpful comments so far, it really is appreciated. I wonder if anybody can advise that when using property to apply for the SEP you have to own the property outright versus the property being mortgaged?

Also, on entry, does the return flight need to be back to the UK or can it be anywhere, just as long as we have a flight booked to leave Barbados within 6 months of entry?

Kind regards
Andy and Gail
Old Jan 16th 2022, 10:24 am

I believe the thing about having a flight out, is this. You are allowed in for a limited time, and countries may check that you have funds for that time, somewhere to live etc to ensure you cannot be a drain on local funds or be there to work etc.

Having a return flight shows you intend to leave, but it has to be to somewhere you are guaranteed entry, so having an onward ticket to another country is seen as suspect because do you have the right to go there? Do you have citizenship for there ? Believe it or not ive had problems when i entered a country on a passport from the place i came from, and even though i had a passport for the country i was flying onto after 3 months, the immigration people still didnt accept it as proof of intent.

All of htis depends on the immigration official, they are a law unto themselves, normally the thing is to make it as normal/standard as possible. These days return tickets can easily be traded in or modified, and that seems safer?
Old Jan 16th 2022, 1:19 pm
Just Joined

@uk_grenada Thanks for your thoughts on this, are your experiences Barbados specific or for CARICOM countries generally? Also, do you have any knowledge of SEP parameters with regards to property ownership (outright v mortgaged)?

Thanks in advance,
Andy and Gail.
Old Jan 16th 2022, 1:38 pm

Sorry, no clue about SEPs - the barbadian permit... I travel a lot round the EC/Caricom but am based in Grenada. BUT immigration officials are a particular breed and are often fickle with regard to the precise rules. Keeping it straightforward will ensure they dont consider you for special attention, they are pretty similar within the parameters of the countries rules, but those tend to be harmonised in the region. The principles are as above.

Last edited by uk_grenada; Jan 16th 2022 at 1:57 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.