Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Moving to Barbados for Caricom Nationals - non-working

Moving to Barbados for Caricom Nationals - non-working

Old May 8th 2008, 10:26 pm
Just Joined

martyrich1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Barbados for Caricom Nationals - non-working

At the moment we are thinking about moving back to the Caribbean from Australia. My wife is originally Trinidadian but we're hearing so many negative things about Trinidad these days that we are looking at Barbados, or possibly other islands.

I am not sure if our situation would allow us to relocate to Barbados. I'd appreciate any comments on the following if possible.....

I don't intend to work there as I usually work on overseas projects. So I shouldn't need a work permit. How easy would it be for me to buy a house there and use it as a home base if I am not working there? (I have British / Australian citizenship).

My wife & kids would reside there permanently with me travelling backwards and forwards to work. She wouldn't need a work permit either (although later down the track maybe she could apply for one). My wife is Trinidadian so she is a caricom national. Our kids would also need to go to school (of course). Would there be any restrictions on this depending on our visa types?
Old May 9th 2008, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Moving to Barbados for Caricom Nationals - non-working

Hi there,

I would want someone with more experience to weigh in on this, but a friend of mine from Tobago told me that if you have a Caribbean/Caricom passport, you are able to work in any of the islands (Barbados included).

Again, this is just information I heard from someone, so it may not be accurate. But you could look into it and if it's true, that's one less thing for your wife to worry about.

Apologies in advance if this is incorrect. The topic came up yesterday at work as I gave them my notice that I'm leaving Canada for Barbados in another month and a half. Exciting!

Foxy
Old May 9th 2008, 8:29 pm
Just Joined

Foxy,

Thanks for your reply. I have tried to find the answer to that same question on the web but haven't been successful. I contacted an immigration lawyer based in barbados yesterday explaining my situation and this is what he said....

Based on the instructions received we can advise that the option available to you and your family at this time would be to apply for Non-National Registration. This status is generally granted to an individual(s) who own property on the island and who will not be working. The process does take some time (3 – 6 months) and is only really made after the property is purchased, however on occasion the Immigration Department has accepted Agreements for Sale when deposits have been paid on the undertaking to show them a true copy of the conveyance before any grant of status is made.

As regards the children, most private schools will take them in but they must apply for student visas as well as for status as a registered non-national

We attach hereto a general list of information to be provided on any application for Non National Registration. The application forms are provided by our office. Please review the attachment and should you have any questions we would be happy to answer them.

As regards our fee we generally charge $2,500.00 per application plus 15% VAT and expenses which are in the vicinity of $300.00 per application. In cases such as yours, when there are several individual applications to be made (but all relating to one family), we charge a full rate for one application and $1,500.00 plus VAT for each additional application. We would also ask you to note that there is a fee/tariff charged by the Immigration Department on the granting of the status which must be paid before they will issue the relevant certificates and stamp your passport. This fee/tariff is set on a discretionary basis and generally is set in the region of $1,500.00 or more per applicant.

We trust the above has been of assistance. We look forward to hearing from you.

Unfortunately he doesn't mention that my wife would be able to work be even though she is Trinidadian.
Old May 9th 2008, 9:04 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

just a quick mention. With regards to Caricom Nationals working in Barbados (or any Caricom country under the new rules).. if I understand correctly there is hierarchy of positions that can work outside of their own country... like.. its ok for professionals (lawyers, docs etc) but not secretaries, or waitresses.. You may find something online about that.. search for Caricom Employment and see what you find.

Also, the statement about the schools is that you should also be able to apply to government schools but would have to go through an application process just like to a private school. I don't believe there is anything that says a non-national child can't attend government schools.
Old May 9th 2008, 11:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

I should have been a Lawyer instead of an Architect...
Old May 9th 2008, 11:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by zanne
I should have been a Lawyer instead of an Architect...
Zanne,

your post has prompted another question......what is it like having a house built in Barbados? I've just finished building a house (well, not me personally but my builders) in Australia, which if we move I will probably sell. We like the house so much it may be possible to build something similar in Barbados. Obviously the design will have to be modified slightly to incorporate local materials etc but I'm sure would be somewhere like you would come in!
Old May 10th 2008, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

Lindi2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone. We are in the process of applying for Barbadian citizenship for my 9 year old daughter and myself (interview in the Barbados High Commission in a couple of weeks). My husband (my daughter's father) is a Barbadian national, and we are seriously thinking of moving to Barbados in the not too distant future. We visited two private schools last year and really liked both. My question is. as a Bajan national moving from the UK would my daughter still require a student visa? One of the schools said yes but the other said no. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old May 10th 2008, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

No, once you have the citizenship documents that's it you are free to attend school without a visa.
Old May 10th 2008, 10:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

shines will become famous soon enoughshines will become famous soon enough

. So I shouldn't need a work permit. How easy would it be for me to buy a house there and use it as a home base if I am not working there? (I have British / Australian citizenship).

My wife & kids would reside there permanently with me travelling backwards and forwards to work. She wouldn't need a work permit either (although later down the track maybe she could apply for one). My wife is Trinidadian so she is a caricom national. Our kids would also need to go to school (of course). Would there be any restrictions on this depending on our visa types?[/QUOTE]

Good evening,

I know of a couple with 2 children who have just moved here in similar circumstances, he works off shore and travels back and forth. They are in the process of buying a house. They did use an attorney when dealing with immigration but they got a 12 month visa in the first instance, which is better than they had hoped for.

I would say that it would be best to rent and then begin the house building process once here so you/your wife can be on hand to supervise...

Your children would require student visa's, you get them via immigration and they require annual renewal. You would get better rates at the private schools for being CARICOM nationals (assuming your children have their T&T papers)

HTH

S
Old May 11th 2008, 1:52 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by shines
. So I shouldn't need a work permit. How easy would it be for me to buy a house there and use it as a home base if I am not working there? (I have British / Australian citizenship).

My wife & kids would reside there permanently with me travelling backwards and forwards to work. She wouldn't need a work permit either (although later down the track maybe she could apply for one). My wife is Trinidadian so she is a caricom national. Our kids would also need to go to school (of course). Would there be any restrictions on this depending on our visa types?
Good evening,

I know of a couple with 2 children who have just moved here in similar circumstances, he works off shore and travels back and forth. They are in the process of buying a house. They did use an attorney when dealing with immigration but they got a 12 month visa in the first instance, which is better than they had hoped for.

I would say that it would be best to rent and then begin the house building process once here so you/your wife can be on hand to supervise...

Your children would require student visa's, you get them via immigration and they require annual renewal. You would get better rates at the private schools for being CARICOM nationals (assuming your children have their T&T papers)

HTH

S[/QUOTE]
shines,

thanks for the info. its interesting to hear that somebody else in in a similar position. Is there any chance you coud find out which lawyer they used? Would it be possible to get your friend to contact me directly so that I can ask a few other questions? my e-mail address is <<snip>>

Our kids do have T&T papers so hopefully they would get better schooling rates as you mentioned.

Last edited by Sue; May 11th 2008 at 9:37 pm. Reason: Email addressed removed at the request of OP
Old May 11th 2008, 4:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

shines will become famous soon enoughshines will become famous soon enough

Hiya,

Will pass your email on!

Sue

p.s. delete your email addy now, you never know who may contact you!
Old May 11th 2008, 6:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by shines
Hiya,

Will pass your email on!

Sue

p.s. delete your email addy now, you never know who may contact you!
Sue,

Thanks, its appreciated.

Can't seem to edit my post to remove my e-mail. think its been too long.

Can any mods do this for me??
Old Jan 7th 2009, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

eugiebabe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sunniebgi
just a quick mention. With regards to Caricom Nationals working in Barbados (or any Caricom country under the new rules).. if I understand correctly there is hierarchy of positions that can work outside of their own country... like.. its ok for professionals (lawyers, docs etc) but not secretaries, or waitresses.. You may find something online about that.. search for Caricom Employment and see what you find.

What I've found out is that if you have certain skills or a degree then you can get a skills certificate. Check this out http://www.bac.gov.bb/Caricom_Skills_Qualification.htm
Old Jan 7th 2009, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the information.

Cheers,
Martin