Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Moving to Barbados - advise needed!

Moving to Barbados - advise needed!

Old Jun 6th 2007, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

trutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud of
Default Re: Moving to Barbados - advise needed!

Originally Posted by pgtips
Out of Interest why are you back in UK ? Will you be returning to live in Barbados ?
I am not "back" in UK, first time I live here, I'm dutch, husband is from UK
Reason we left BB was because my husband was working away in Haiti, Trinidad, St.Maarten etc for nearly 2 years, we just couldn't handle the separation anymore. He couldn't find a permanent job staying on the island, so we decided to go back to Europe untill we could sorted something out what could make us all live on the island.
We are busy to start up a business in BB, for us the only possibility to have a permanent life in BB.
Old Jun 6th 2007, 12:51 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trutje
I am not "back" in UK, first time I live here, I'm dutch, husband is from UK
Reason we left BB was because my husband was working away in Haiti, Trinidad, St.Maarten etc for nearly 2 years, we just couldn't handle the separation anymore. He couldn't find a permanent job staying on the island, so we decided to go back to Europe untill we could sorted something out what could make us all live on the island.
We are busy to start up a business in BB, for us the only possibility to have a permanent life in BB.

The work thing is always a hinderance, finding the right kind of gainful employment in Caribbean. Starting your own business seems like a good plan, but obviously with risk. The ideal situation is to have no mortgage in the Caribbean and then you would be able to something which may not pay the top dollar, but something that benefits the islands.

For example when I move to St Lucia, I may teach to cover the shortfall of teachers who have been lured away to the states for better pay.

I am already planning to be as self sufficient as possible and grow as much fruit and veg as I can and even keep some livestock (limited amout, goats milk, cheese, chickens for eggs).

To suppliment income I may build an additional apartment to rent.

The point being as an expat moving to the Caribbean you have to be pretty creative and may have to adapt your careers to fit in with what is already there unless you are rich and can just sit and watch the sea.

Another question would be why did you choose Barbados over say St Martin as I would have thought being dutch this would have been an easier route.
I have a cousin from St martin studying in England for the next few years and she is one of the most delightful down to earth people I have ever met.
Old Jun 6th 2007, 1:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

trutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud of

The work thing is always a hinderance, finding the right kind of gainful employment in Caribbean. Starting your own business seems like a good plan, but obviously with risk. The ideal situation is to have no mortgage in the Caribbean and then you would be able to something which may not pay the top dollar, but something that benefits the islands.

For example when I move to St Lucia, I may teach to cover the shortfall of teachers who have been lured away to the states for better pay.

I am already planning to be as self sufficient as possible and grow as much fruit and veg as I can and even keep some livestock (limited amout, goats milk, cheese, chickens for eggs).

To suppliment income I may build an additional apartment to rent.

The point being as an expat moving to the Caribbean you have to be pretty creative and may have to adapt your careers to fit in with what is already there unless you are rich and can just sit and watch the sea.

Another question would be why did you choose Barbados over say St Martin as I would have thought being dutch this would have been an easier route.
I have a cousin from St martin studying in England for the next few years and she is one of the most delightful down to earth people I have ever met.
Our business will definatly benefit the island and people. We have been thinking about this for the last 4 years
My husband was working for a UK telecom company doing a project in BB. After that he worked for AT&T, Cable and Wireless and then for a Canadian company working all over the Caribbean. But they had a base in BB.
I have visited St. Maarten for a week and it was absolutely fab, but Barbados was our home, and even if living in BB you do need a break once in a while, St. Maarten was just a fab holiday.
Old Jun 6th 2007, 1:40 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Our business will definatly benefit the island and people. We have been thinking about this for the last 4 years
My husband was working for a UK telecom company doing a project in BB. After that he worked for AT&T, Cable and Wireless and then for a Canadian company working all over the Caribbean. But they had a base in BB.
I have visited St. Maarten for a week and it was absolutely fab, but Barbados was our home, and even if living in BB you do need a break once in a while, St. Maarten was just a fab holiday.

Well I hope it works out, know a family in St Lucia and the father is a dutchman. They run a business in Rodney Bay and are very nice people.
Being married to a St Lucian woman starting a business and permanent residency was straight forward. I do not know how this works in Barbados for non citizens wanting to settle permanently.

Hopefully you will have sussed this all out and have a great adventure with your new business. I am keen on entrepreneurs having that entrepreneural flair myself.
Old Jun 6th 2007, 3:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well I hope it works out, know a family in St Lucia and the father is a dutchman. They run a business in Rodney Bay and are very nice people.
Being married to a St Lucian woman starting a business and permanent residency was straight forward. I do not know how this works in Barbados for non citizens wanting to settle permanently.

Hopefully you will have sussed this all out and have a great adventure with your new business. I am keen on entrepreneurs having that entrepreneural flair myself.
If not married to a local you need capital to start a business.
Thanks for your support and hope you'll have a great life in beautiful St.Lucia, I have been there aswell (for 2 weeks) the same time when the Hurricane destroyed Grenada in 2003.
Old Jun 6th 2007, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

Blazebajan will become famous soon enoughBlazebajan will become famous soon enough

Great idea, I used to live in St Lucia and it is a wonderful island, after 6pm it can get dull but if you don't need too much excitement it is the place to be.

Our house used to have the most amazing view of Pidgen Point and the stables at Cap Estate are great for a ride out to the ocean.

Enjoy.
Old Jun 6th 2007, 8:01 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

If not married to a local you need capital to start a business.
Thanks for your support and hope you'll have a great life in beautiful St.Lucia, I have been there aswell (for 2 weeks) the same time when the Hurricane destroyed Grenada in 2003.
2004 - Ivan
Old Jun 7th 2007, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by islandmom
2004 - Ivan
Emily-2003
Old Jun 7th 2007, 1:36 pm

Emily-2003
Just for clarification, both Emily and Ivan struck Grenada.

Hurricane Emily was the fifth named storm, third hurricane, second major hurricane and first Category 5 of the record-breaking 2005 Atlantic hurricane season. The storm formed in July as a Cape Verde-type hurricane before passing through the Windward Islands, where it caused heavy damage in Grenada. Emily then made landfall on the Yucatán Peninsula as a Category 4 storm, first on the island of Cozumel and then just north of Tulum on the mainland of Quintana Roo. After crossing the Bay of Campeche the hurricane made a final destructive landfall in the state of Tamaulipas in northern Mexico.

Hurricane Ivan was the strongest hurricane of the 2004 Atlantic hurricane season. The storm formed as a Cape Verde-type hurricane in early September, and became the ninth named storm, the sixth hurricane, and the fourth major hurricane of the year. Ivan reached Category 5 strength on the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Scale, the highest possible category, and it became the sixth (now ninth) most intense Atlantic hurricane on record, as well as the only Category 5 storm of the season.

Ivan caused catastrophic damage to Grenada
Old Jun 7th 2007, 1:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Just for clarification, both Emily and Ivan struck Grenada.

Hurricane Emily was the fifth named storm, third hurricane, second major hurricane and first Category 5 of the record-breaking 2005 Atlantic hurricane season. The storm formed in July as a Cape Verde-type hurricane before passing through the Windward Islands, where it caused heavy damage in Grenada. Emily then made landfall on the Yucatán Peninsula as a Category 4 storm, first on the island of Cozumel and then just north of Tulum on the mainland of Quintana Roo. After crossing the Bay of Campeche the hurricane made a final destructive landfall in the state of Tamaulipas in northern Mexico.

Hurricane Ivan was the strongest hurricane of the 2004 Atlantic hurricane season. The storm formed as a Cape Verde-type hurricane in early September, and became the ninth named storm, the sixth hurricane, and the fourth major hurricane of the year. Ivan reached Category 5 strength on the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Scale, the highest possible category, and it became the sixth (now ninth) most intense Atlantic hurricane on record, as well as the only Category 5 storm of the season.

Ivan caused catastrophic damage to Grenada
Thanks for that, I couldn't remember Ivan to be honest.
Old Jun 7th 2007, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by Blazebajan
Great idea, I used to live in St Lucia and it is a wonderful island, after 6pm it can get dull but if you don't need too much excitement it is the place to be.

Our house used to have the most amazing view of Pidgen Point and the stables at Cap Estate are great for a ride out to the ocean.

Enjoy.
Well they have just opened a new nine screen state of the art multiplex cinema and there is a new nightclub suppose to be opening in Rodney Bay.

I will only be 5 mins drive (if that) from the heart of Rodney Bay where most of the activity tends to take place and only 5-10 mins walk from Marina.

Hopefully this will be enough to keep me entertained, and with Sportivo (the largest gym and fitness centre on the island) and the Rodney Bay aquatic centre just a 5-10 min walk away I sure will have places to keep me fit.

From your desciption it seems like you used to live near Cas en bas, am I right ?
Old Jun 7th 2007, 1:52 pm

Thanks for that, I couldn't remember Ivan to be honest.
Ivan was the massive one !!! It damaged in some cases completly flatenned 90% of the buildings in Grenada. Hence the massive rebuild programme which has been going on ever since.
Old Jun 7th 2007, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ivan was the massive one !!! It damaged in some cases completly flatenned 90% of the buildings in Grenada. Hence the massive rebuild programme which has been going on ever since.
The only thing I remember it was heading towards Barbados and at the last minute it changed direction.
I had to digg deep into my memory though.......
Old Jun 7th 2007, 2:07 pm

The only thing I remember it was heading towards Barbados and at the last minute it changed direction.
I had to digg deep into my memory though.......
That is correct, Barbados was spared, but unfortunately for Grenada that is where most of the devastaion was done.
Old Jun 7th 2007, 2:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

That is correct, Barbados was spared, but unfortunately for Grenada that is where most of the devastaion was done.
Have seen photographs of Grenada, but was under the impression it was from Emily but must have been from Ivan.
I have been in New Orleans a year after Katrina, my god, what a disaster that must have been

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.