British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Moving to Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/moving-barbados-761574/)

Hamptons747 Jun 13th 2012 7:26 am

Moving to Barbados

I'm moving to Barbados (I bought a house there a few years back). My boyfriend and daughter are coming along. She is 14 and to be educated there and hopeful she will get a place at St Winifreds. My boyfriend isn't on the titles of the house. Will he be able to stay long-term re visas etc. I think I'm okay because I own the house - what kind of visa do I get? As for the return ticket rule do I get a months return ticket or could I get longer? Thanks in advance for any replies.

expat_wannabe07 Jun 13th 2012 2:29 pm

Re: Moving to Barbados

Hello,

Sorry to disappoint you, but just becase you own a house doesn't mean you will be able to reside permanently - you won't even be able to get a 3 year resdency just on the basis of owning a house.

I applied for 3 year residency year before last - I have 2 properties here, and income from rental properties in the UK, so more than able to support myself. I applied through a lawyer - did everything by the book, but my application was refused. I did, however, get a letter from Immigration saying that I was "welcome to continue visiting the island, applying for extensions of stay as necessary".

Serendipidy Jun 13th 2012 6:00 pm

I think that nowadays countries are loathe to allow long term residency orders because if its granted once then a renewal based on same information is very very likely ( so this could result in 6 or 7 years stay for instance) .. then the outcome is you have legally stayed long enough in the country to apply for residency/citizenship and can then possibly sometime in the future become a burden on that country (ie healthcare, benefits etc). So nowadays I think immigration looks at making the initial process very difficult to from the outset.

What expat has said makes sense because if a Bajan brought a home in the UK it does not mean you can come and live in it for 3 years but they would be welcome to visit and stay in it when the do.

Hamptons747 Jun 15th 2012 9:46 am

Originally Posted by expat_wannabe07 (Post 10116786)
Hello,

Sorry to disappoint you, but just becase you own a house doesn't mean you will be able to reside permanently - you won't even be able to get a 3 year resdency just on the basis of owning a house.

I applied for 3 year residency year before last - I have 2 properties here, and income from rental properties in the UK, so more than able to support myself. I applied through a lawyer - did everything by the book, but my application was refused. I did, however, get a letter from Immigration saying that I was "welcome to continue visiting the island, applying for extensions of stay as necessary".

Thank you for your info it's been very helpful.

jnx225 Jun 16th 2012 8:15 am

I guess I kindda in the same situation, I want to move to Barbados, I am a citizen but not been there since I was born. I recently got married and I have a baby boy.his mom is not from Barbados.I know he is entitled to citizenship based ‎​ decent. Pls can anyone tell me what steps to take in relocating to barbados? Kind regards.

Serendipidy Jun 16th 2012 7:52 pm

Welcome to the forum JNX ... to ensure you generate some response it would be helpful for you to expand on your question as its just too big a question at present to answer.. what is it specifically you want help with ie is it the question of how you go about getting citizenship for your son? You say you have not been to Barbados since you were born I know im stating the obvious but my initial advice before considering a move would be to visit and get a feel for the place etc

Also before asking its an idea to put the subject into the search section as soo many issues have already been covered and you might find some of your answers there

jnx225 Jun 16th 2012 8:49 pm

‎​Ƭћǟπƙ§, I do intend to visit first.