Moving to Barbados

Old Jun 2nd 2012, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

nat53 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Barbados

I know there have been a lot of people inquiring about this. I am moving with husband and small dog. We are empy-nesters but I don't have the slightest idea where to move and live. I need an area if there is one that for the time being is considered a haven for expats. I want to rent longterm until I know the areas and then will consider other areas.

Usually when one moves they try to live in a community where chuches are where they can join in on activities. In my case it would be a synagogue allthough we are Traditional. I might be far off as I don't know where or even it one exists.

Of course the view and access to the water or swimming pool is important. Hoefully this move will bring the kids down more often than not so a 3 bedroom is imporant.

However I need to know what area you expats think I should gear my energies on.

thankyou

nat 53
Old Jun 5th 2012, 11:56 am

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Barbados

http://www.barbados.org/jewish.htm

Above is some information on an active synagogue from what it says its in Bridgetown which is the town centre

Here is another site that might be of interest http://haruth.com/jw/JewsBarbados.html maybe utilising the telephone numbers on that site might help you get some location information suitable for you

http://www.alljewishlinks.com/the-ba...ames-barbados/
Old Jun 5th 2012, 12:18 pm
Just Joined

Alexandra2005 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

I was recently considering a move to Barbados. Checked out quite a few locations and settled on area around Atlantic Shores. Liked this area for a numbe ro reasons; Expat rather than tourist population, proximity to airport/Bridgetown, on coast, safe & secure, nice restaurants within shooting distance. Although not suitable for us, saw lovely 3 beds in a gated community called The Pallisades. Lovely properties and no objections to small dogs allegedly (I have one too and agent it shouldn't be a problem). No pool/sea views but 2 minutes walk from Miami beach which is really lovely (IMHO). Best of luck with your move.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 1:46 pm
Just Joined

hi there,

I checked the Palisades and the rentals are waayy out of our league. We are looking to pay about 1500 CAD per month and need 3 bedrooms: is that an impossibility in the area you suggest?

Any other suggestions?
Old Jun 14th 2012, 3:23 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

your looking at a rental of just under 3000.00bbd per month which should get you something , maybe not luxurious but certainly livable. I would suggest that you check out www.cariblist.com and start your hunt there. There is a synagogue in the Rockley area/worthing area, so you may want to look in that area as well.. maybe not on the beach but a walkable distance. if you are on Facebook, you may also want to check out the marketplace listings for rentals in Barbados.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 1:55 pm
Just Joined

Thank you I will follow up on all of this...I was quoted rents in USD but I would have thought like you said, that rents would be paid in BBD/per month which is a lot easier on the CAD dollar.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 2:52 am
Just Joined

Chiltern is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Mate
Been here a month now, and like you, looking for somewhere to settle and still finding my way around.
Seriously, the island is so small you could live anywhere and get from A to B in no time. Traffic can be a major problem though as the roads are small and can be congested during working hours, and as you have to do, just go with the flow, Hey mon, this is Barbados!
Enjoying life here, get lost driving regularly, but you can't get too lost, just bounce from coast to coast.....
Not sure about synagogues, but others have helped you with this, but don't feel you have to live in the adjacent Parish, travel is short.
I would more go for lifestyle, do you like 24 hour areas, the country, away from the madding crowd, rugged coastline or peacefful swimming beaches?
It is all to be had here from what I've seen.
We have chosen to live inland in the country, more our forte, having said that we are 10 to 15 minutes from anywhere on the isalnd should we wish to go to a restaurant, have a swim, or do what we like really!
Hope you find what you're looking for, take your time. I'd recoomend that you rent, even a one or two bedroom, and there are many short term rentals at 1000 to 1500 per month, have a look around and get the feel of the place and what suits you.
Good luck!
Old Jul 20th 2012, 2:56 pm
Just Joined

biswa is an unknown quantity at this point

I think anyone will feel awkward when traveling to a new place

I am sure that you will feel more comfortable after some days

cheers
Old Aug 11th 2012, 4:27 pm
Just Joined

Sandie2012 is an unknown quantity at this point

Try Terra Caribbean for rentals, they are excellent. We found a super place in St James for around BBD 3,000, with 3 bedrooms. Super area too and very near to the lovely beach. Rachel, the Agent was extremely helpful.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

ruthifill is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Are you still looking for somewhere to live? We have just moved from the island and have a 3 bed furnished house near Speightstown that we are looking to rent.

Thanks

R

Originally Posted by nat53 View Post
I know there have been a lot of people inquiring about this. I am moving with husband and small dog. We are empy-nesters but I don't have the slightest idea where to move and live. I need an area if there is one that for the time being is considered a haven for expats. I want to rent longterm until I know the areas and then will consider other areas.

Usually when one moves they try to live in a community where chuches are where they can join in on activities. In my case it would be a synagogue allthough we are Traditional. I might be far off as I don't know where or even it one exists.

Of course the view and access to the water or swimming pool is important. Hoefully this move will bring the kids down more often than not so a 3 bedroom is imporant.

However I need to know what area you expats think I should gear my energies on.

thankyou

nat 53