Moving to Barbados

Old Apr 3rd 2010, 8:11 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Barbados

Hi Eurobrit

I would say that your past experiences will make you a prime candidate to build a life in Barbados. You have already identified the issues and are prepared for them and have even mentioned some of the solutions ie diving and cricket etc - both these will enable you to mix with both expats and locals - being male is also a bonus as generally as a woman i found it very difficult to make female bajan friends.

You will probably find that you end up with an ecclectic set of friends of all diverse ages and backgrounds as i did and of course as a man you can even go to mcbrides etc on ya own and mingle
Old May 17th 2010, 4:34 pm
Just Joined

flaco8a is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear No2son,

Finally, Im ready for moving. I will be moving to Barbados in the second week of June.

The company has already advised that the work permit has been granted, Im only waiting for some minour details in order to travel.

the work permit process took around 5-6 weeks in this case. The company made everything, the only thing I made was to send them some documentation that they required.

So, If you need any help, please let me know.

kind regards,

David
Old May 19th 2010, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

no2son is an unknown quantity at this point

flaco8a,

Congratulations on having everything sorted and good luck with the move. I'm a little jealous as my move is still 18 months away but I'm sure the time will fly.

no2son
Old May 20th 2010, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

Cuchullain is an unknown quantity at this point

Eurobrit.... I've only just seen your query now about making friends etc. here in Barbados.

Well, just to share my experience. I came here first totally by myself in 2007 at the age of 27. I quickly met a girl and she is now my wife!! I joined a local football team and I still play with them and I have made plenty of friends through work and through my new Bajan family.

So, I'm sure you will have no problems!!
Old Jul 8th 2010, 10:04 pm
Just Joined

jinxi010 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cuchullain
Eurobrit.... I've only just seen your query now about making friends etc. here in Barbados.

Well, just to share my experience. I came here first totally by myself in 2007 at the age of 27. I quickly met a girl and she is now my wife!! I joined a local football team and I still play with them and I have made plenty of friends through work and through my new Bajan family.

So, I'm sure you will have no problems!!
I think it definitely is a bit more difficult as a woman. You have the choice to interact with the expats-and yes you will probably feel out of place, yet you will have the familiarity of culture, etc. and I'm sure they will help you settle in and make friends. So if you want to segregate yourself prepare for that.

My suggestion would be to make friends regardless of whether Bajan or not.
If your worry is dating then...I think it's easy to have an active social life, and therefore meet potentials.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 8:14 am
Just Joined

sassyk is just really nicesassyk is just really nicesassyk is just really nicesassyk is just really nicesassyk is just really nicesassyk is just really nicesassyk is just really nicesassyk is just really nice
Smile Re: Moving to Barbados

Hi I am a singleton going to Barbados to work and live if there are any singletons going or in Barbados I would love to meet you
Old Aug 29th 2010, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

I'm one sassy! When are you coming out?
Old Aug 30th 2010, 9:12 am
Just Joined

sassyk is just really nicesassyk is just really nicesassyk is just really nicesassyk is just really nicesassyk is just really nicesassyk is just really nicesassyk is just really nicesassyk is just really nice
Smile Re: Moving to Barbados

Hi Zanne
Thank you for replying to me
I am hoping to come on 28th September just need to finalise a few points on my contract.:
where do you live/ work in Barbados?
How long you been there?
where is a good place to register for medical needs?
where best to hire a car long term?

really hope to hear from you
Old Aug 30th 2010, 9:28 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by flaco8a
Dear No2son,

Finally, Im ready for moving. I will be moving to Barbados in the second week of June.

The company has already advised that the work permit has been granted, Im only waiting for some minour details in order to travel.

the work permit process took around 5-6 weeks in this case. The company made everything, the only thing I made was to send them some documentation that they required.

So, If you need any help, please let me know.

kind regards,

David
Hi Flaco8A
I read your post of March this year and found it really useful. I too have been offered a job in Barbados who wish for me to leave the end of september 2010. but I am concerned about some issues like healthcare, work permit etc. can you tell me the documents I need to provide for my work permit, getting my personal belongings there as being a lady a suitcase just wont cut it.