Moving to Barbados

Old Mar 23rd 2010, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

no2son is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Barbados

Hello All,

Where to begin, well I am soon to be leaving my chosen career with Her Majesties Land Forces after 22 years and the plan is to move to my spiritual home which is Barbados.

I fell in love with the island over 10 years ago when My father brought the whole family to see where he was born. So now with less than two years until I am relieved of my duties I am trying to get as much information so as to make the move as painless as possibly.

So here goes what I think I need to know about....

1. I need to find somewhere to rent whilst I stay for a couple of weeks over the next 20 months or so when I come for job interviews.

2. I will also need to find somewhere to rent for longer periods when I come to live for good.

3. I have as yet no real idea what I will be doing for a job as I have no idea what the job market is like. I have as yet no idea whether a CV or resume is required.

4. Finally, I have no idea about how to go about Medical cover, car ownership and all the other little things that are required to live.

I know there is allot here and a big ask to anyone who might be able to offer advice, however, as I live in the UK it is quite difficult to find the in formation that I need and this was one of the routes suggested by my career advisor.

Thanks for reading and any help on any of the above questions will be gratefully received.

no2son
Old Mar 24th 2010, 7:08 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Barbados

No2 as you are asking for basically information on everything i would recommend that you take some time and read through a lot of the old posts on here as they basically cover most of the things you are asking and have been very comprehensively covered in the past.

You will find lots of valuable information on previous threads answering questions that you are yet to even think off

Happy reading
Old Mar 26th 2010, 7:11 am
Forum Regular

Thankyou. I'll do that over the weekend away from the pressures of work.

No 2 Son
Old Mar 28th 2010, 6:35 pm
Just Joined

flaco8a is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello All,

Could someone give me some advise for Moving to Barbados?

I have the following question.

I'm single, and some company at Barbados made me an offer for moving to work there, and the salary is 50,000 USD/YEAR (100,000 BBS/YEAR). Could you live well with this amount of money?

I heard that the cost of living there is really high.

Thanks a lot for your help.

David
Old Mar 28th 2010, 7:26 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

to flaco8a
for a single person, I would say yes.. much depends on where you want to live, cost of the apartment, what type of nightlife you have.. and food you eat.. .. but the most important thing you need to be concerned about is the work permit situation. if you are the only person that can do this job and the company has a work permit for you.. go for it.. if not.. .. be very careful..
Old Mar 28th 2010, 8:07 pm
Just Joined

Dear Sunniebgi

Thanks a lot for your reply.
Well, relating to work permit, the company has already requested it, and the offer is subject to the work permit approval.

It would for Living at Bridgetown.

Relating to the place for living and nightlife, well I would need like 1 bed apartment, and relating to nightlife, I think that I'm a normal guy, that likes to go out on a normal base.

So based on this, you still think that its a "good" normal salary for living there?

Thans again.

I really appreciate your help.

David
Old Mar 29th 2010, 1:26 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

David as a single person you would live very well on that figure in my opinion.

Local bajans average wage is $1000-$2000bds a month so that is less than $25k bds a year so as you can see your salary would be well above the average.

I myself as single person lived well there on 60-70 k bds (£20,000) a year and I had a 3 bed house 5 mins drive from the nightlife in a very nice area and owned a car.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 2:11 pm
Just Joined

Dear Serendipidy,

Thanks a lot for your help. It is much appreciated.

Kind Regards,

David
Old Mar 30th 2010, 6:35 am
Forum Regular

Dear flaco8a, could you let me know how it goes please with your move. I'm going to be doing it within the next 20 months. Any up to date advice would be a great help

no2son
Old Mar 31st 2010, 12:03 am
Just Joined

Eurobrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Everyone

I'm new to this forum and I guess what I am looking for is some reassurance on the few doubts I have left on a potential move...

I'm 30 years old, single, and have been living in Toronto, Canada for the last 18 months. I was due to return to London in 6 months time, and the closer it got the more I realised that I didn't really want to go back! So I investigated other postings within my firm. Lo and behold, there's a suitable job in Barbados!

Up until two weeks ago I'd never been to the Caribbean, never been to Barbados. I went over for a few short days (was only there for 2 full days) to have a formal interview and find out more about the island.

The company I work for has an office just outside Bridgetown, and I'd concur that everyone I met seemed lovely and friendly, very welcoming.

I was shown some apartments up for rent in Christ Church and other areas to get an idea of cost. It seems that a decent condo within walking distance of the beach and bars is probably do-able. I know there are cheaper options of course and much depends on personal preferences!

I went out in the St Lawrence Gap for St Patrick's Day. To McBrides of course! And it was a lot of fun. It seemed very safe, and I would say that eating out there and buying rounds of drinks didn't seem too different in price to reasonable restaurants here in Canada.

Sunshine, beaches, water sports and diving... it's a tropical paradise -right? Plus there are all the great things unique to Barbados itself, like the cricket, polo, golf and various festivals. Plenty to keep me amused during a 2 year contract, surely?!

So why am I hesitating?

Well, mostly because I'm 30 and single.

My worry is that the expat community will consist of either married couples with or without kids, and young couples / young singles not long out of university. I am worried that I'm going to get stuck somewhere in the middle and not really fit that well into the community. I am very much used to city living (recently London, Amsterdam, Toronto) and with only a small population on the island I am worried that I will get lonely.

I've done expat living most of my life in various places around Europe, and I know better than most that you have to make an effort to get out and meet people, to get involved and get stuck in. But I also know that in reality it can be hard especially in communities where people come and go all the time.

Does anyone have any words of advice? Are you a singleton who's moved to Barbados? How easy was it to make friends in the community (both expat and local) ?

I am extremely torn and will need to make a decision in the next few weeks.

Any advice?

Thanks!
Old Mar 31st 2010, 2:27 am
Just Joined

Dear No2son.

Of Course, I will let you know. If everything works with the permit, Im supposed to should be moving on June or July. I'm really happy for it, and this forum has been very helpful for me (thanks to all).

So as soon as I have moved to Barbados I will tell you how everything was.

Take care.

David.
Old Mar 31st 2010, 2:35 am
Just Joined

To Eurobrit.

My advise is that you must definitely move. Bajans are really friendly, the expat community has a lot of couples, but there is a lot of single persons also. and they expat community is really friendly also.

Well, my advise, move to Barbados.

In my case, I will move to there.

regards,

David.
Old Mar 31st 2010, 4:58 am
Forum Regular

Ikon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Eurobrit
Hi Everyone

I'm new to this forum and I guess what I am looking for is some reassurance on the few doubts I have left on a potential move...

I'm 30 years old, single, and have been living in Toronto, Canada for the last 18 months. I was due to return to London in 6 months time, and the closer it got the more I realised that I didn't really want to go back! So I investigated other postings within my firm. Lo and behold, there's a suitable job in Barbados!

Up until two weeks ago I'd never been to the Caribbean, never been to Barbados. I went over for a few short days (was only there for 2 full days) to have a formal interview and find out more about the island.

The company I work for has an office just outside Bridgetown, and I'd concur that everyone I met seemed lovely and friendly, very welcoming.

I was shown some apartments up for rent in Christ Church and other areas to get an idea of cost. It seems that a decent condo within walking distance of the beach and bars is probably do-able. I know there are cheaper options of course and much depends on personal preferences!

I went out in the St Lawrence Gap for St Patrick's Day. To McBrides of course! And it was a lot of fun. It seemed very safe, and I would say that eating out there and buying rounds of drinks didn't seem too different in price to reasonable restaurants here in Canada.

Sunshine, beaches, water sports and diving... it's a tropical paradise -right? Plus there are all the great things unique to Barbados itself, like the cricket, polo, golf and various festivals. Plenty to keep me amused during a 2 year contract, surely?!

So why am I hesitating?

Well, mostly because I'm 30 and single.

My worry is that the expat community will consist of either married couples with or without kids, and young couples / young singles not long out of university. I am worried that I'm going to get stuck somewhere in the middle and not really fit that well into the community. I am very much used to city living (recently London, Amsterdam, Toronto) and with only a small population on the island I am worried that I will get lonely.

I've done expat living most of my life in various places around Europe, and I know better than most that you have to make an effort to get out and meet people, to get involved and get stuck in. But I also know that in reality it can be hard especially in communities where people come and go all the time.

Does anyone have any words of advice? Are you a singleton who's moved to Barbados? How easy was it to make friends in the community (both expat and local) ?

I am extremely torn and will need to make a decision in the next few weeks.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Well, I think some of your fears are well-founded. Lots of the ex-pats here are couples or older people, and a lot of the ex-pat groups focus on arranging activities best-suited to families.

That said, I don't think that should discourage you from moving. You'll meet people at work or where you live who are probably a similar age to you who will introduce you to a suitable social circle, I'm sure. It might not be that you focus your time particularly on the ex-pat scene, but that's not necessarily a bad thing
Old Mar 31st 2010, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road

I agree with Ikon.

A good number of the expats here are young families (which even puts me out of their league to a small degree - I'm in a relationship, but not interested in having kids, so there is a whole group I don't spend much time with). However, there are plenty who aren't, and you can & should meet local people as well.

For me, I have lots of different types of friends - young, old, single, couples, with kids, without kids, some with grandkids! If you keep your mind open (as it sounds like you do), you'll meet a great variety of people.

As Ikon said, you will probably meet people through your work. Do you have hobbies or activities that you'd be interested in trying here? That can be another good way to meet people.

I see you've spent a lot of time in Toronto (and other large cities). I'm not sure if city life is your cup of tea, but for me it was a big adjustment coming from Toronto to Barbados. I'm accustomed to the city life, and life is different here. Not saying it's bad, just something you have to adjust to.

Best of luck with your move.
Foxy
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 3:37 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Eurobrit, with a population of aproximately 300,000, a large ex pat circle, and also hundreds of thousands of tourist visiting the island each year, I am sure you will make a few buddies in Barbados. Go for it, there are plenty of others who would give their right arm for the opportunity you have.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.