British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   moving to barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/moving-barbados-645949/)

onekaq Dec 23rd 2009 8:02 pm

moving to barbados

Hi i am a Trinidadian living in the uk with my british husband and 14month old son. We are thinking of moving to barbados to live. I am a dental hygienist while my husband works in cost engineering.Can anyone provide me with info on getting a job there with a practice and about visas and stuff for hubby and baby? Thanks in advance :)

Sunniebgi Dec 25th 2009 11:38 pm

Re: moving to barbados

I'm not going to get too much into this, but as a Trini, you may qualify to come in as a Caricom Citizen through the CSME agreements.. however, I don't know about the job that you do and if it qualifies.. (they started with Lawyers etc.. ).. you husband, however, would likely have to get a work permit and your son would come in under you, but eventually have to have a student visa.

Now.. don't quote me an any of this.. I'm sure there are others that have more knowledge in this situation, but what I have written should be a very simplified version of what is correct.

grassisgreener Dec 29th 2009 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by Sunniebgi (Post 8197234)
I'm not going to get too much into this, but as a Trini, you may qualify to come in as a Caricom Citizen through the CSME agreements.. however, I don't know about the job that you do and if it qualifies.. (they started with Lawyers etc.. ).. you husband, however, would likely have to get a work permit and your son would come in under you, but eventually have to have a student visa.

Now.. don't quote me an any of this.. I'm sure there are others that have more knowledge in this situation, but what I have written should be a very simplified version of what is correct.

Hi, as Sunnie says if you and your husband qualify as skilled persons under the Caricom skills recognition programme you won't need a work permit, but you do have to apply for the certificate. In the 2006 treaty there were six categories: graduates from all recognized universities in the world; artistes; musicians; sportspersons; media workers; managers, technical and supervisory staff attached to a company or self-employed person.

These categories may have been amended since the inception of the programme in 2006 - so you'll need to check. This link seems to suggest it's been extended http://www.caricom.org/jsp/single_ma...lls_regime.pdf Also I'm not sure what happens if one of you qualifies and your spouse doesn't and what is required for your dependants. Someone else on here may be able to help, or your best bet would be to find a lawyer to help.

Failing that you'll need a work permit to work out here.

Good luck!

sevendayweekend Dec 29th 2009 1:12 pm

If you don't qualify for caricom, work visas can be expensive and time consuming... Apply early! ;)

onekaq Jan 31st 2010 11:57 am

Thanks for your help, i spoke to the barados accredation dept about the caricom certificate and yes i does apply to me! :D So when i go there in a couple of weeks i will apply for the caricom certificate which gives me indefinite stay in barbados. My british hubby is more complicated and needs a work permit.

Sunniebgi Feb 1st 2010 2:15 am

Originally Posted by onekaq (Post 8298199)
Thanks for your help, i spoke to the barados accredation dept about the caricom certificate and yes i does apply to me! :D So when i go there in a couple of weeks i will apply for the caricom certificate which gives me indefinite stay in barbados. My british hubby is more complicated and needs a work permit.

if he wants to work while you are here in Barbados , then yes, he would need a work permit. and those are not easy to come by these days.

grassisgreener Feb 1st 2010 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by onekaq (Post 8298199)

Glad to have helped, good luck with your hubby's work permit.