Moving To Barbados

Old Sep 24th 2009, 6:06 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
sapphirerose127's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Birmingham, UK
Posts: 22
sapphirerose127 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving To Barbados

Hello All,

I am looking at finding out any useful information with regard to moving my family out to Barbados.

We hope to be there by mid 2011 and it is simply a move for what we hope will be a better quality of Family life. I just do not know where to begin. I need any info that members may have on Primary school entry (my daughter will be 6yrs old at the time of the move). Shipping information, reasonable costs, recommended agents and things that turn out to be a waste of time taking over. During the last few years we have been sorting out our citizenship and I am in the last stages of my daughter's paperwork coming through, as we thought it would be best to sort this out before trying to set a date for moving. We will have to work, but we will cross that bridge a little later, once all the domestic worries are sorted. I am new to this forum so I am still looking through the older postings to see if any help can be found.

I look forward to any future comments, and thank you all in advance.
sapphirerose127 is offline  
Old Sep 24th 2009, 9:21 pm
  #2  
BE Enthusiast
 
Foxy_fromCanada's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Hastings, Barbados
Posts: 696
Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Moving To Barbados

Hello there,

You might want to post in the Barbados forum, to get the best responses. This post is in the Caribbean forum, so just click on "Barbados" and post away! Lots of us can help you.

Good luck with your decision.
Foxy
Foxy_fromCanada is offline  
Old Sep 25th 2009, 8:52 am
  #3  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
sapphirerose127's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Birmingham, UK
Posts: 22
sapphirerose127 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving To Barbados

Originally Posted by Foxy_fromCanada View Post
Hello there,

You might want to post in the Barbados forum, to get the best responses. This post is in the Caribbean forum, so just click on "Barbados" and post away! Lots of us can help you.

Good luck with your decision.
Foxy
Many Thanks Foxy, I am a new member and was not sure which would receive more responses.
sapphirerose127 is offline  
Old Sep 28th 2009, 11:40 pm
  #4  
Hottie
 
reesa's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5
reesa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving To Barbados

Originally Posted by sapphirerose127 View Post
Many Thanks Foxy, I am a new member and was not sure which would receive more responses.
Now you do. Wise decision to move here
reesa is offline  
Old Oct 14th 2009, 10:23 am
  #5  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
sapphirerose127's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Birmingham, UK
Posts: 22
sapphirerose127 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving To Barbados

I have looked through the older postings and have found some of the answers that I am looking for, which has been a big help in making some positive decisions in aiding our move. So many thanks for the advise to look in the Barbados forum. I did not get any actual replies to my post in that forum so I think I will find more help here in the Caribbean forum, as although numerous islands are mentioned, the process is somewhat simular.
sapphirerose127 is offline  
Old Oct 16th 2009, 1:29 pm
  #6  
Concierge
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,164
pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving To Barbados

Originally Posted by sapphirerose127 View Post
I have looked through the older postings and have found some of the answers that I am looking for, which has been a big help in making some positive decisions in aiding our move. So many thanks for the advise to look in the Barbados forum. I did not get any actual replies to my post in that forum so I think I will find more help here in the Caribbean forum, as although numerous islands are mentioned, the process is somewhat simular.
Good Luck. Wise move to sort out citizenship papers first as that is a big hurdle out of the way. Before you know it you will have your plane ticket and accomodation sorted. Then you can start enjoying that laid back Caribbean life you are craving.
pgtips is offline  
Old Oct 19th 2009, 5:03 am
  #7  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 19
tfinteriors is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving To Barbados

Hi,
I hope that I can still help you. I am a Canadian that is married to a Bajan (the local term for Barbadians). I have been living here for over 6 years and have a vast amount of knowledge (or information) that may be able to help you.

To start you have to sort out what your desire is before you move here (for example work). Getting papers is not as easy as one may think.

Your daughter will need to obtain a student visa and after the age of 18 she will no longer have the right to live in Barbados as students do not accumulate time to be put towards residency. She can always come and visit, but this may be a consideration if you are considering between something short term or for a lifetime.
Work permits are often costly for companies, however if you or your spouse have a skill that is needed in Barbados many of the international companies will arrange for them. Offshore companies like the banks are often big supporters of this. Work permits need to be arranged before arrival.
If owning your own company is something that may work for you then let me know and I can send you the info that pertains to starting.

I have 2 children, and my 4 1/2 yr old is at a fantastic school, Providence Elementary. Our son is in his final year of high school. There are several private schools ranging in price from around $1000 bds per term to $6000 (as normal, expats pay more). Each child and family has different needs and it is best to see what suits her best.

If you are looking for either rental or purchasing I recommend Bajan Services for your real estate needs and let them know that I sent you (T. Foster). Where you live is a big factor in your new life in Barbados. Traffic can be crazy and there may be things that are more important to you than not. Having children made me want to be more central (we also are only minutes from one of our schools) and less driving to activities, however being on the water may be part of your dream. It's beautiful, but in reality you have to remember what salt air does to your possessions and need to be aware of the financial costs associated with that.

I am a member (and former exec) of the Canadian Women's Club, although there are other organizations like the British Women's Club. Members of the CWC (we accept international members too!) have a vast amount of information like places to shop, dr recommendations, school listings etc. in a publication called the Arrow. Members pay $35 bds. This is a great way to meet friends and help the community through volunteer work.

I hope this helps and good luck. I truly feel blessed to live in such a beautiful place.
tfinteriors is offline  
Old Oct 19th 2009, 12:38 pm
  #8  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
sapphirerose127's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Birmingham, UK
Posts: 22
sapphirerose127 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving To Barbados

Originally Posted by tfinteriors View Post
Hi,
I hope that I can still help you. I am a Canadian that is married to a Bajan (the local term for Barbadians). I have been living here for over 6 years and have a vast amount of knowledge (or information) that may be able to help you.

To start you have to sort out what your desire is before you move here (for example work). Getting papers is not as easy as one may think.

Your daughter will need to obtain a student visa and after the age of 18 she will no longer have the right to live in Barbados as students do not accumulate time to be put towards residency. She can always come and visit, but this may be a consideration if you are considering between something short term or for a lifetime.
Work permits are often costly for companies, however if you or your spouse have a skill that is needed in Barbados many of the international companies will arrange for them. Offshore companies like the banks are often big supporters of this. Work permits need to be arranged before arrival.
If owning your own company is something that may work for you then let me know and I can send you the info that pertains to starting.

I have 2 children, and my 4 1/2 yr old is at a fantastic school, Providence Elementary. Our son is in his final year of high school. There are several private schools ranging in price from around $1000 bds per term to $6000 (as normal, expats pay more). Each child and family has different needs and it is best to see what suits her best.

If you are looking for either rental or purchasing I recommend Bajan Services for your real estate needs and let them know that I sent you (T. Foster). Where you live is a big factor in your new life in Barbados. Traffic can be crazy and there may be things that are more important to you than not. Having children made me want to be more central (we also are only minutes from one of our schools) and less driving to activities, however being on the water may be part of your dream. It's beautiful, but in reality you have to remember what salt air does to your possessions and need to be aware of the financial costs associated with that.

I am a member (and former exec) of the Canadian Women's Club, although there are other organizations like the British Women's Club. Members of the CWC (we accept international members too!) have a vast amount of information like places to shop, dr recommendations, school listings etc. in a publication called the Arrow. Members pay $35 bds. This is a great way to meet friends and help the community through volunteer work.

I hope this helps and good luck. I truly feel blessed to live in such a beautiful place.
Many, many thanks for this information tfinteriors, this reply has been more than helpful. Luckily on the paperwork side we are ahead, as my husband had put in for Nationality by descent a year before we were married and when that came through about a year after we were married, I put mine in for Registration by marriage. This came through a further two and a half years later, just as our daughter was born and we put in her application as soon as she was born. Her's came in three and a half years later, taking a total of seven years for all the papers to come through. We bought a house in St Philip a few years back, so housing will not be a problem. However, taking into account what you have said about being near to a school, we did not consider this when we bought the house, so I have no idea if there are any schools that I will like in St Philip. I don't fancy living in town, I dream of a country life, but circumstance may yet change my view. The sea is not too far from us so that is one of the reasons I would not try to ship any large furniture from the UK to Barbados. Less cost and besides, I have heard stories of European furniture falling apart in the new climate! I will definitely not be shipping our car, too much expense and then I may not be able to get parts. Thanks for the info on the Women's Clubs, since I don't want to be living the lonely life, this will be a must! As for work I have no idea on that one. My Husband will try to sort something out when we go next year in preparation, and I will just take things as they come.
sapphirerose127 is offline  
Old Oct 20th 2009, 12:33 am
  #9  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 19
tfinteriors is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving To Barbados

Originally Posted by sapphirerose127 View Post
Many, many thanks for this information tfinteriors, this reply has been more than helpful. Luckily on the paperwork side we are ahead, as my husband had put in for Nationality by descent a year before we were married and when that came through about a year after we were married, I put mine in for Registration by marriage. This came through a further two and a half years later, just as our daughter was born and we put in her application as soon as she was born. Her's came in three and a half years later, taking a total of seven years for all the papers to come through. We bought a house in St Philip a few years back, so housing will not be a problem. However, taking into account what you have said about being near to a school, we did not consider this when we bought the house, so I have no idea if there are any schools that I will like in St Philip. I don't fancy living in town, I dream of a country life, but circumstance may yet change my view. The sea is not too far from us so that is one of the reasons I would not try to ship any large furniture from the UK to Barbados. Less cost and besides, I have heard stories of European furniture falling apart in the new climate! I will definitely not be shipping our car, too much expense and then I may not be able to get parts. Thanks for the info on the Women's Clubs, since I don't want to be living the lonely life, this will be a must! As for work I have no idea on that one. My Husband will try to sort something out when we go next year in preparation, and I will just take things as they come.
Well this sounds much like how my citizenship went, how ironic. Only exception is that my daughter was born here and had her papers even before me.

I wrote back to you on the other thread about choosing Providence based on your location. I actually have a few friends that are in St. Philip that made their final decision about the school based on the driving. Hands down it is the most beautiful school on the island, however you need to choose for yourself. My biggest concern as a permanent expat is that I was unsure of the local to expat ratio and I really wanted to see more local children going to the school as the transition with friends leaving can be a hard one. It is a good mix now and growing more each day so I felt it reassuring that she would still have good friends for life as well as the international influences of other families(there are 60 new families this year alone). The class sizes are very small so that is a huge plus and knowing that your daughter will have her Bajan papers means you will save on the expat fees...yippee!
I definitely agree on shipping the car unless your husband can bring it in as a returning national. You need to be away for 10 years to get in back in duty free. Not sure if that would work unless he was living here, but something to look into.
tfinteriors is offline  
Old Oct 20th 2009, 9:24 am
  #10  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
sapphirerose127's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Birmingham, UK
Posts: 22
sapphirerose127 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving To Barbados

Originally Posted by tfinteriors View Post
Well this sounds much like how my citizenship went, how ironic. Only exception is that my daughter was born here and had her papers even before me.

I wrote back to you on the other thread about choosing Providence based on your location. I actually have a few friends that are in St. Philip that made their final decision about the school based on the driving. Hands down it is the most beautiful school on the island, however you need to choose for yourself. My biggest concern as a permanent expat is that I was unsure of the local to expat ratio and I really wanted to see more local children going to the school as the transition with friends leaving can be a hard one. It is a good mix now and growing more each day so I felt it reassuring that she would still have good friends for life as well as the international influences of other families(there are 60 new families this year alone). The class sizes are very small so that is a huge plus and knowing that your daughter will have her Bajan papers means you will save on the expat fees...yippee!
I definitely agree on shipping the car unless your husband can bring it in as a returning national. You need to be away for 10 years to get in back in duty free. Not sure if that would work unless he was living here, but something to look into.
This is great information. I see if I can find out the proximity of the school from where we will be living. Many Thanks.
sapphirerose127 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.