British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Moving to Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/moving-barbados-623101/)

trees1 Jul 31st 2009 7:58 am

Moving to Barbados

Hi everyone

I am new to this site and have a few questions re living and working in Barbados. I have recently (after two years of waiting!) been granted my Bajan citizenship. Me and my husband are hoping to relocate to Barbados next March or just after as soon as we can sort things out in London. I am a legal secretary and my husband works in HR at a law firm. Could anyone advise whether it would be relatively easy to get office work? It doesn't have to be law-based. In fact I would be interested in maybe working in the travel industry, maybe one of the big hotels for example/cruise companies etc etc. We are obviously not expecting to get the same salaries as in London but any idea what the approximate monthly wage would be for secretarial/office work? Is it worth starting to send off our CVs to various companies now or too early? Also if anyone can give me details of any recruitment agencies I would be grateful.

Another (slightly strange?) question.

I need to take thyroxine for the rest of my life as I have an under-active thyroid gland. It is free of charge in the UK. Is it also free in Barbados?

Looking forward to your replies.

Many thanks.

Trees

Serendipidy Aug 1st 2009 11:20 am

Re: Moving to Barbados

I would marvel to hear what is actually free in Barbados apart from great scenery and interesting people - anything else usually comes with a price

Would love to hear from others what is free in Barbados that I might not have thought off (and i dont mean beaches and walking and such obvious things)

shines Aug 2nd 2009 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by Serendipidy (Post 7803740)
I would marvel to hear what is actually free in Barbados apart from great scenery and interesting people - anything else usually comes with a price

Would love to hear from others what is free in Barbados that I might not have thought off (and i dont mean beaches and walking and such obvious things)

Oooh well I had to take my eldest to hospital recently and that was free... And she is going back for more tests next week and they too will be free - I was shocked but happy to discover that the UK and Barbados have an agreement of some kind...

Erm what else, free mangoes from my tree...!

Sunniebgi Aug 3rd 2009 11:42 am

funny enough, it was a Canadian who told me that Barbadian children get free medications, depending on what it is, and as long as they have an ID Card.. which mine now have (even though they are born here, I never got them an ID card until earlier this year)..

Asthma meds are free, again, depending on what it is. I can't speak for the particular medication that you are taking, but I would guess it's not.. and I would also guess that it may be something that is possibly not available 100pct of the time.

Collins Ltd is one of the main importers of medicines on the island.. you may want to contact them to see if they import this drug and if it is something, through the drug service, is free.

Collins Ltd.
P.O.Box 203C
4A Warrens Industrial Park
St. Thomas, Barbados, W.I.
Phone: ++(246) 426-4515
Fax: ++(246) 424-9182
E-Mail: [email protected]

also.. David Lewis of Lewis Drug Mart, tel 246- 429-7288.. should also be able to assist.

Lindi2 Aug 3rd 2009 12:24 pm

Hi everybody,

That's a good question Trees1! I was wondering the same thing the other day - how easy would it be to get Thyroxine in Barabados. I too have an under-active thyroid and have to take the medicine for the rest of my life. I strongly suspect that it is available there, but not free like it is in the UK. It's important to know tho'.

L

trees1 Aug 3rd 2009 12:57 pm

Thank you for your replies re thyroxine especially to Sunniebgi. I will contact that address you gave and also the Ministry of Health I think.

Please could somebody now give me some answers to my questions re how easy or difficult it is to get office/secretarial work in Barbados?

Ta very much!

Trees1

Sunniebgi Aug 3rd 2009 4:38 pm

ok.. so the question will be.. are you both Bajan (or at least with citizenship??)..

I would assume that secretarial positions are available, it's just a matter of where and for how much. I'd have to say they are likely, low, or lower man, on the totem pole in terms of pay, but also I guess it's who you are working for.

I do see secretarial positions in the classifieds.. Some require other duties.. ie, financial responsibilities etc. You would likely want to simply put in a resume at several larger companies, firms, banks etc.. and see what you get.

trees1 Aug 4th 2009 9:16 am

Hi there

I am white British but have recently acquired my citizenship. My husband is a Bajan citizen owing to his parents originating from there. He has had his citizenship for many years.

I think we have decided to start enquiring and sending off our CVs to various organisations very soon so at least these companies have our details if any vacancies arise (fingers crossed!). We've both had enough of London so just hope everything works out for our new life in Barbados. :-)

Trees1

Foxy_fromCanada Aug 4th 2009 12:34 pm

Your citizenship will really help as you won't have to worry about the whole work permit ordeal.

Sometimes it's who you know... so use your networking skills as well :)

Good Luck,
Foxy

bamiskados Aug 5th 2009 10:49 pm

Hi,
I am a new member on this forum, and saw your question about the thyrogen,I have hashimoto myself and checked out the availability and cost last year,as I am in the process of preparing my return to Barbados. It is carried by every pharmacy( always the chance of being out of stock temperarily, like a lot of stuff). It is not on the Government Drug Program but the cost is low, for 100 mg it's about BDS 15.00 p/m, so could be a little more according to the dosage you use.

So no need to worry about that,

Bamiskados

Lindi2 Aug 6th 2009 7:36 am

Hi Bamiskados,

Thanks for that. Good to know it's not too expensive either.:thumbup:

L

trees1 Aug 7th 2009 10:09 am

Yes thanks everyone for your helpful replies. I'll try and take as much as I can from here and then when it runs out just buy if from Bim.

The job situation is the most important issue now..... will start sending out my CV and get in contact with our "contacts" over there. Also, anyone reading this who knows of anyone wanting a very good secretary don't hesitate to contact me. Not that I'm blowing my own trumpet or anything ha ha!

Trees

coffeegirl Aug 7th 2009 1:06 pm

Hi All,

I know most of the questions I ask MUST have been asked before so please be as patient as possible. My Husband has been relocated from Jamaica to St. Michaels, Barbados ( he is British I am Caricom) and we have four girls, two dogs and one nervous mommy (me). So here are the things I really would like help in:

1. Cost of 3 - 4 bedroom houses
  2. Best schools for Pre K, Kindergarten, Grade 1
  3. SHould we ship our cars down instead of buying there
  4. can we bring our Corgis down
  5. Good car dealer
  6. As a Caricom individual do I need a work permit
  7. What is there for an active mother to do with her kids
  8. I keep hearing the cost of living is high but in Jamaica it is unbearable, what would be an average cost for a family of 6

Thanks all maybe I can start sleeping at night ( hah hah)
-

rainer4902 Aug 12th 2009 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by Serendipidy (Post 7803740)

Hi there, i am hoping to move to Barbados from Scotland in the next 2-3 weeks and i just read on this site last week that my daughter would need a student visa to attend school. I have emailed immigration last week asking about this but haven't heard back from them yet, can you tell me how i go about applying for this before i arrive.
Thanks in advance, Gillian

Sunniebgi Aug 12th 2009 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by rainer4902 (Post 7837406)
Hi there, i am hoping to move to Barbados from Scotland in the next 2-3 weeks and i just read on this site last week that my daughter would need a student visa to attend school. I have emailed immigration last week asking about this but haven't heard back from them yet, can you tell me how i go about applying for this before i arrive.
Thanks in advance, Gillian

I would seriously advise you to pick up the phone and call immigration and even the ministry of education, to find out the requirements for the Student Visa.

I don't think this is something you can get before you get here, so be prepared to do the leg work as soon as you hit the ground. You may also want to contact the school your child will be going to, to see if they have any idea about what you will need from them.