Moving to Barbados

Old Nov 9th 2008, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

bluegirl39 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Moving to Barbados

Hi Guys - My husband & I are hoping to move to Barbados. We are living in Spain at present. I am a UK qualified & Internationally experienced secondary teacher of Science & Maths, hubby is ex-army and spent some time posted in caribbean! There are a few things we are not sure of maybe you can help? Are there any specific schools you would reccommend me applying to? any long-term rental agents you suggest I approach? But above all - we need a British community - and friends!!! We are living in inland Spain and 'not happy'. Thanks for reading this - Maria
Old Nov 9th 2008, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all
Default Re: Moving to Barbados

Hi bluegirl, I would suggest that you read through the posts on Barbados, have you visited here before? 1st and foremost remember that immigration is a big issue-- and work permits too have become harder to come by. If you browse some of the "schools" posts you will find the private schools and, I believe, their contact information: Wills Primary, St. Angela's, St. Gabriel's, St. Winnifrieds, Codrington, etc. I hope that this helps you to get started, as far as apartments, it depends on your budget.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 11:04 pm
Just Joined

Mad Q is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bluegirl39
Hi Guys - My husband & I are hoping to move to Barbados. We are living in Spain at present. I am a UK qualified & Internationally experienced secondary teacher of Science & Maths, hubby is ex-army and spent some time posted in caribbean! There are a few things we are not sure of maybe you can help? Are there any specific schools you would reccommend me applying to? any long-term rental agents you suggest I approach? But above all - we need a British community - and friends!!! We are living in inland Spain and 'not happy'. Thanks for reading this - Maria
Are you guys Bajan heritage - if you are then like me its a piece of cake - if you're not it's a bit harder ... as Zanne said have a look thru previous posts for pointers.

Q
Old Nov 10th 2008, 10:32 pm
Just Joined

D0DGER is an unknown quantity at this point

"But above all - we need a British community..."

why?!!!

Bajans are much more exciting than most British!
(nb. I'm british, living in Britain, lived in Barbados.)
Old Nov 11th 2008, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by zanne
Hi bluegirl, I would suggest that you read through the posts on Barbados, have you visited here before? 1st and foremost remember that immigration is a big issue-- and work permits too have become harder to come by. If you browse some of the "schools" posts you will find the private schools and, I believe, their contact information: Wills Primary, St. Angela's, St. Gabriel's, St. Winnifrieds, Codrington, etc. I hope that this helps you to get started, as far as apartments, it depends on your budget.
Hi Zanne - thanks for your reply. To be honest I had not thought about work permits! Going to Cyprus then Spain I didn't need one (EU) so will need to give matters more thought! Thanks
Old Nov 11th 2008, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mad Q
Are you guys Bajan heritage - if you are then like me its a piece of cake - if you're not it's a bit harder ... as Zanne said have a look thru previous posts for pointers.

Q
Thanks Mad Q - will look into this.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 3:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by D0DGER
"But above all - we need a British community..."

why?!!!

Bajans are much more exciting than most British!
(nb. I'm british, living in Britain, lived in Barbados.)
Hi Dodger - what I really meant to say is that here in inland Spain there aren't really any friendly communities - sort of lonely!
Old Nov 11th 2008, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

D0DGER is an unknown quantity at this point

(think i can imagine what you're talking about..!... and the great local Bajan vibe is adopted pretty well by the settled Brits/x-pats). Look up the Hash House Harriers running/jogging/crawling group - that was + hopefully still is a fun, weekly locals + internationals group event.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 2:15 am

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

lol Doger your point made me giggle - i too have an array of expat friends but only because its harder to make friends with bajan women - men no prob lol - but i agree if i wanted brit friends i would have stayed home. I often find im friendly with people that maybe the only things we have in common are coming from UK. Here is a mindset change if you cant join em you will end up so frustrated you will go home. For me its difficult cos i go in between UK and here so often it takes me ages to unwind from the uk ratrace and am beeping everyone on the road that drives slowly - it takes about 3 weeks to adjust again and not look like some stark raving mad tourist who has somewhere important to get to -normally big bs lol

Serendipidy