Moving to Barbados

Old Nov 9th 2008, 3:39 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 4
bluegirl39 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Moving to Barbados

Hi Guys - My husband & I are hoping to move to Barbados. We are living in Spain at present. I am a UK qualified & Internationally experienced secondary teacher of Science & Maths, hubby is ex-army and spent some time posted in caribbean! There are a few things we are not sure of maybe you can help? Are there any specific schools you would reccommend me applying to? any long-term rental agents you suggest I approach? But above all - we need a British community - and friends!!! We are living in inland Spain and 'not happy'. Thanks for reading this - Maria
bluegirl39 is offline  
Old Nov 9th 2008, 7:47 pm
  #2  
BE Enthusiast
 
zanne's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 669
zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all
Default Re: Moving to Barbados

Hi bluegirl, I would suggest that you read through the posts on Barbados, have you visited here before? 1st and foremost remember that immigration is a big issue-- and work permits too have become harder to come by. If you browse some of the "schools" posts you will find the private schools and, I believe, their contact information: Wills Primary, St. Angela's, St. Gabriel's, St. Winnifrieds, Codrington, etc. I hope that this helps you to get started, as far as apartments, it depends on your budget.
zanne is offline  
Old Nov 9th 2008, 11:04 pm
  #3  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 21
Mad Q is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Barbados

Originally Posted by bluegirl39 View Post
Hi Guys - My husband & I are hoping to move to Barbados. We are living in Spain at present. I am a UK qualified & Internationally experienced secondary teacher of Science & Maths, hubby is ex-army and spent some time posted in caribbean! There are a few things we are not sure of maybe you can help? Are there any specific schools you would reccommend me applying to? any long-term rental agents you suggest I approach? But above all - we need a British community - and friends!!! We are living in inland Spain and 'not happy'. Thanks for reading this - Maria
Are you guys Bajan heritage - if you are then like me its a piece of cake - if you're not it's a bit harder ... as Zanne said have a look thru previous posts for pointers.

Q
Mad Q is offline  
Old Nov 10th 2008, 10:32 pm
  #4  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Bournemouth UK
Posts: 2
D0DGER is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Barbados

"But above all - we need a British community..."

why?!!!

Bajans are much more exciting than most British!
(nb. I'm british, living in Britain, lived in Barbados.)
D0DGER is offline  
Old Nov 11th 2008, 3:21 pm
  #5  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 4
bluegirl39 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Barbados

Originally Posted by zanne View Post
Hi bluegirl, I would suggest that you read through the posts on Barbados, have you visited here before? 1st and foremost remember that immigration is a big issue-- and work permits too have become harder to come by. If you browse some of the "schools" posts you will find the private schools and, I believe, their contact information: Wills Primary, St. Angela's, St. Gabriel's, St. Winnifrieds, Codrington, etc. I hope that this helps you to get started, as far as apartments, it depends on your budget.
Hi Zanne - thanks for your reply. To be honest I had not thought about work permits! Going to Cyprus then Spain I didn't need one (EU) so will need to give matters more thought! Thanks
bluegirl39 is offline  
Old Nov 11th 2008, 3:21 pm
  #6  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 4
bluegirl39 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Barbados

Originally Posted by Mad Q View Post
Are you guys Bajan heritage - if you are then like me its a piece of cake - if you're not it's a bit harder ... as Zanne said have a look thru previous posts for pointers.

Q
Thanks Mad Q - will look into this.
bluegirl39 is offline  
Old Nov 11th 2008, 3:22 pm
  #7  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 4
bluegirl39 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Barbados

Originally Posted by D0DGER View Post
"But above all - we need a British community..."

why?!!!

Bajans are much more exciting than most British!
(nb. I'm british, living in Britain, lived in Barbados.)
Hi Dodger - what I really meant to say is that here in inland Spain there aren't really any friendly communities - sort of lonely!
bluegirl39 is offline  
Old Nov 11th 2008, 4:23 pm
  #8  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Bournemouth UK
Posts: 2
D0DGER is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Barbados

(think i can imagine what you're talking about..!... and the great local Bajan vibe is adopted pretty well by the settled Brits/x-pats). Look up the Hash House Harriers running/jogging/crawling group - that was + hopefully still is a fun, weekly locals + internationals group event.
D0DGER is offline  
Old Nov 18th 2008, 2:15 am
  #9  
MODERATOR
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Barbados
Posts: 879
Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Barbados

lol Doger your point made me giggle - i too have an array of expat friends but only because its harder to make friends with bajan women - men no prob lol - but i agree if i wanted brit friends i would have stayed home. I often find im friendly with people that maybe the only things we have in common are coming from UK. Here is a mindset change if you cant join em you will end up so frustrated you will go home. For me its difficult cos i go in between UK and here so often it takes me ages to unwind from the uk ratrace and am beeping everyone on the road that drives slowly - it takes about 3 weeks to adjust again and not look like some stark raving mad tourist who has somewhere important to get to -normally big bs lol

Serendipidy
Serendipidy is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.