British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Moving to Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/moving-barbados-572119/)

bluegirl39 Nov 9th 2008 3:39 pm

Moving to Barbados

Hi Guys - My husband & I are hoping to move to Barbados. We are living in Spain at present. I am a UK qualified & Internationally experienced secondary teacher of Science & Maths, hubby is ex-army and spent some time posted in caribbean! There are a few things we are not sure of :confused: maybe you can help? Are there any specific schools you would reccommend me applying to? any long-term rental agents you suggest I approach? But above all - we need a British community - and friends!!! We are living in inland Spain and 'not happy'. Thanks for reading this - Maria

zanne Nov 9th 2008 7:47 pm

Re: Moving to Barbados

Hi bluegirl, I would suggest that you read through the posts on Barbados, have you visited here before? 1st and foremost remember that immigration is a big issue-- and work permits too have become harder to come by. If you browse some of the "schools" posts you will find the private schools and, I believe, their contact information: Wills Primary, St. Angela's, St. Gabriel's, St. Winnifrieds, Codrington, etc. I hope that this helps you to get started, as far as apartments, it depends on your budget.:thumbsup:

Mad Q Nov 9th 2008 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by bluegirl39 (Post 6955902)
Hi Guys - My husband & I are hoping to move to Barbados. We are living in Spain at present. I am a UK qualified & Internationally experienced secondary teacher of Science & Maths, hubby is ex-army and spent some time posted in caribbean! There are a few things we are not sure of :confused: maybe you can help? Are there any specific schools you would reccommend me applying to? any long-term rental agents you suggest I approach? But above all - we need a British community - and friends!!! We are living in inland Spain and 'not happy'. Thanks for reading this - Maria

Are you guys Bajan heritage - if you are then like me its a piece of cake - if you're not it's a bit harder ... as Zanne said have a look thru previous posts for pointers.

Q

D0DGER Nov 10th 2008 10:32 pm

"But above all - we need a British community..."

why?!!! :confused:

Bajans are much more exciting than most British!
(nb. I'm british, living in Britain, lived in Barbados.)

bluegirl39 Nov 11th 2008 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by zanne (Post 6956477)
Hi bluegirl, I would suggest that you read through the posts on Barbados, have you visited here before? 1st and foremost remember that immigration is a big issue-- and work permits too have become harder to come by. If you browse some of the "schools" posts you will find the private schools and, I believe, their contact information: Wills Primary, St. Angela's, St. Gabriel's, St. Winnifrieds, Codrington, etc. I hope that this helps you to get started, as far as apartments, it depends on your budget.:thumbsup:

Hi Zanne - thanks for your reply. To be honest I had not thought about work permits! Going to Cyprus then Spain I didn't need one (EU) so will need to give matters more thought! Thanks

bluegirl39 Nov 11th 2008 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by Mad Q (Post 6956984)
Are you guys Bajan heritage - if you are then like me its a piece of cake - if you're not it's a bit harder ... as Zanne said have a look thru previous posts for pointers.

Q

Thanks Mad Q - will look into this.

bluegirl39 Nov 11th 2008 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by D0DGER (Post 6960176)
"But above all - we need a British community..."

why?!!! :confused:

Bajans are much more exciting than most British!
(nb. I'm british, living in Britain, lived in Barbados.)

Hi Dodger - what I really meant to say is that here in inland Spain there aren't really any friendly communities - sort of lonely!

D0DGER Nov 11th 2008 4:23 pm

:) (think i can imagine what you're talking about..!... and the great local Bajan vibe is adopted pretty well by the settled Brits/x-pats). Look up the Hash House Harriers running/jogging/crawling group - that was + hopefully still is a fun, weekly locals + internationals group event.

Serendipidy Nov 18th 2008 2:15 am

lol Doger your point made me giggle - i too have an array of expat friends but only because its harder to make friends with bajan women - men no prob lol - but i agree if i wanted brit friends i would have stayed home. I often find im friendly with people that maybe the only things we have in common are coming from UK. Here is a mindset change if you cant join em you will end up so frustrated you will go home. For me its difficult cos i go in between UK and here so often it takes me ages to unwind from the uk ratrace and am beeping everyone on the road that drives slowly - it takes about 3 weeks to adjust again and not look like some stark raving mad tourist who has somewhere important to get to -normally big bs lol

Serendipidy