British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Moving to Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/moving-barbados-536123/)

aasiegel May 12th 2008 11:22 pm

Moving to Barbados

Hey all,

I am a 23 year old single male who will most likely be moving to barbados for one year to work on a project. I was wondering what areas you might suggest to live and the cost of living on the island (i.e. transport, food, rent, and all other living expenses). I am farely laid back person, and I can live off of fairly little. Thank you all for your help as I know you get this questions a million times a day!

Regards,

Adam

Netsirk May 18th 2008 1:55 am

Re: Moving to Barbados

Originally Posted by aasiegel (Post 6341776)
Hey all,

I am a 23 year old single male who will most likely be moving to barbados for one year to work on a project. I was wondering what areas you might suggest to live and the cost of living on the island (i.e. transport, food, rent, and all other living expenses). I am farely laid back person, and I can live off of fairly little. Thank you all for your help as I know you get this questions a million times a day!

Regards,

Adam

Hi Adam,

Try this link from another post for cost of living etc...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=365498

I can recommend an agent if you need help finding a place. I'd stick to south coast, I've been here three weeks now in my new place and I'm loving it! Weather is great once you acclimatize and the people here are wonderful. If you eat local food it's not expensive at all.

aasiegel May 26th 2008 6:49 pm

hi Netsirk,

Thanks for the info! That would be greatly appreciated as I have spoken with some people but they haven't really helped me out that much! I was looking for a place near the south coast. I probably won't have a car while i'm down there so I don't want to be too far away from bridgetown! look forward to hearing from you.

regards

luigifum May 31st 2008 11:53 am

Moving to Barbados

hi all,

I managed to subscribe to this thread today after doing quite a lot of internet searches on this matter. I currently work in IT here in London, linked to the banking industry and talking to my wife (which her parents living in Barbados) we finally come to conclusion that we want to relocate to Barbados in the near future (as soon as this is possible feasible). My question to you is, do you know or aware of IT companies/banks of recruitment agency web links that can help me look for a job out there. Also, regarding working permit and stuff, we were wondering if my wife was to get the Barbados passport through her parents, will I automatically be able to get one ?
Thank you for your help in advance.:)

shines May 31st 2008 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by luigifum (Post 6417715)
hi all,

I managed to subscribe to this thread today after doing quite a lot of internet searches on this matter. I currently work in IT here in London, linked to the banking industry and talking to my wife (which her parents living in Barbados) we finally come to conclusion that we want to relocate to Barbados in the near future (as soon as this is possible feasible). My question to you is, do you know or aware of IT companies/banks of recruitment agency web links that can help me look for a job out there. Also, regarding working permit and stuff, we were wondering if my wife was to get the Barbados passport through her parents, will I automatically be able to get one ?
Thank you for your help in advance.:)

Are your wife's parents Barbadian?

luigifum May 31st 2008 5:05 pm

shines, yes my wife's parents are Barbadians and they relocated back to the island in January 2008 after spending 40 yr in the UK.

shines May 31st 2008 10:38 pm

Hi there,

Ok then she needs to apply for citizenship by descent then once she has it you will need to apply for citizenship by marriage.

You can probably start the process from there, it can take a while though and you need to keep on chasing it along.

Good luck!

S

Sunniebgi Jun 1st 2008 5:24 am

unless things have changed, your wife can get her citizenship through her parents, but you (the husband) can only get residency. (women can get citizenship through their husbands but men can only get residency)

This, however, shouldn't be a problem once the citizenship is in place.

luigifum Jun 1st 2008 4:12 pm

hi Sunniebgi, I hope things have changed then ....:) I will call the Barbados high commission in London to see how things are. We will however start the process from here (I hope).

Sunniebgi Jun 1st 2008 4:36 pm

the only difference in Residency and Citizenship is that you can't vote with residency.. but you can work without a permit.

luigifum Jun 1st 2008 6:21 pm

Sunniebgi, that's cool ... this would probably solve half of the problems.

shines Jun 2nd 2008 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by Sunniebgi (Post 6420943)
unless things have changed, your wife can get her citizenship through her parents, but you (the husband) can only get residency. (women can get citizenship through their husbands but men can only get residency)

This, however, shouldn't be a problem once the citizenship is in place.

Thanks for that, I was not aware it only worked as a wife, not a husband re citizenship...

Maybe you can help me with a question...?

I recently married and will be applying for citizenship. My first daughter is not my new husband's child, her father is British, as am I. Once I get citizenship can I apply for residency for her at all or does she need to wait the 5 yrs and then apply?

Also I am taking my citizenship papers in this week, do I just drop them in and wait to be called for an interview or do I need to sit in immigration and wait to see someone...?

Thanks for any help...!

S

Lindi2 Jun 2nd 2008 3:43 pm

Hi Shines, I don't know if you're handing your paperwork in Bridgetown or in the UK but I handed mine to the Barbados High Commission in London on Tuesday. I had to phone and organise an interview a few weeks beforehand for my husband and I. Before the interview a lady took all my paperwork, all the documents they required and I paid my fees. We then went for our interview with the depty High Commissioner which took approximately 10 minutes. All in all, painless. :thumbsup: I was advised that it would take approximately 6-12 months for it all to through but I'm not holding my breath:)

I'm afraid I can't help you regarding your daughter.

Hope this helps.

shines Jun 2nd 2008 4:20 pm

Hi,

Thanks for replying, I am in BBDOS already so wondered what the process was with doing it in Bridgetown.

Also one other question to anyone... Once I have my paperwork in process do I still need to keep on attending immigration for extensions? My daughter will be on a student visa from September so that should cover her if I can't get her status any earlier.

Thanks

zanne Jun 2nd 2008 10:42 pm

Shines, you need to get extensions but I think that if you word your extension request something like, "Respectfully request extension of stay until my citizenship application has been granted, Application File No._____________." Also add in about your child and husband being Barbadian. I did that in February and they granted me 6 months. As far as getting an interview slot here in Barbados you really have to push, I was recently told that the waiting period is being increased so that means more than 18mos start to finish. Mine was just shy of 18 months, and I still don't have the certificates.