British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Moving (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/moving-843577/)

Arleneedmunds Sep 21st 2014 1:47 pm

Moving

Hello

My name is arlene . My partner and I have just purchased a new build property in barbados, this should be ready summer next year. We intend retiring to barbados so this will be our main home for most of the year,

Any advice would be greatly received.

Thanks in advance

Arlene

Serendipidy Sep 21st 2014 1:58 pm

Re: Moving

Hi Arlene (love that name) and welcome to the forum

When you say you are retiring to Bim do you have the status required to reside? Are you returning nationals?

Just asking because just like in the UK if a Bajan purchased a home would not give them the right to enter UK indefinitley and live in it.

Arleneedmunds Sep 21st 2014 4:22 pm

Hi

Thankyou so much for your speedy reply very much appreciated.

Regarding residency I beleive that is one of the points with our lawyer in barbados.

At the moment we have purchased the land and building is due to start shortly. We have as mentioned a bajan lawyer and have contact with an interior designer regarding furnishing the property and that's as far as we are at the moment.

If you think there are important things we should know we would be really grateful so we do not get any shocks etc.

I hope you don't mind if we ask what seem to be petty questions over the coming months.
We hope to be back in barbados around March next year when the building should be well on the way.

Many thanks

Arlene

Serendipidy Sep 21st 2014 5:11 pm

Hi Arlene that is what we are hear for to help answer those questions....take a read through as many posts as you can as I bet most of your questions have already been answered..if not feel free to ask away

There are lots on food prices, travel, buying cars, shipping of goods etc so enjoy your journey as you learn

Dips

Arleneedmunds Sep 21st 2014 6:17 pm

Thank you very much.

I am sure we will be asking soon.

Best wishes

Arlene

Sunniebgi Sep 22nd 2014 11:16 am

welcome Arlene..

a couple of things.. Make sure your Bajan Lawyer is doing all they can for you. Regarding building your house.. is it in a community??.. meaning 1 builder is building all the houses.. or do you just have a piece of land and having someone build it. I will be very upfront.. there is continually a problem with off island buyers and on island contractors.. some of those guys are slow and will spend your money for you and you will see half of what you should be getting.

regarding immigration.. as Serendipity has said.. you don't automatically get the right to stay here just because you have built a house.. Immigration has several rules in place that you should follow.. yes you can come and stay as a visitor/tourist but.. not residency and not citizenship.. there are those special considerations for people spending large amount of money on homes and have large amounts of money behind them

here are a couple of other sites to have a look at..
Relocating To Barbados - Information You Need

http://www.immigration.gov.bb/pages/...Residence.aspx

Arleneedmunds Sep 23rd 2014 7:04 am

Hi Sunniebgi

Thankyou for your reply.

Our home is being built on a secure gated community so no problems there.

I will certainly raise residency with our lawyer and thankyou for the information. Everything is greatly appreciated as we make our new journey .

As we progress I am sure there will be lots of questions but the forum seems to have most of the questions/answers, a very good valuable tool for us to use.

Thanks for your help hope to speak soon

Regards

Arlene

julesdoopydoo Feb 12th 2015 12:06 pm

Hi Arlene,
My husband and I, like you, are planning to retire to Barbados in the next couple of years. Hope yo don't mind me asking - how are you getting on with advice re residency? I would like to think there is some way we can apply to be permanent residents rather than having to renew a visa every three months or so. As we will probably only have the one home, if the extension were not to be granted - we would be sofa surfing somewhere!!
Julie

Arleneedmunds Feb 12th 2015 8:17 pm

Hi

Thanks for your message.

We are in the process of having a home built which should be finished by the end of the year.

We will return to the uk on a regular basis during the first year but we will be making enquiries about residency but as yet we have done nothing. If we get any information I will let you know.

Good luck with your move where are you looking to live?

Regards

Arlene

julesdoopydoo Feb 12th 2015 9:11 pm

Hi Arlene,
Thanks for your speedy reply. We are going out next week and have rented a car so we will have a good explore of the island. My husband favours the West coast, preferably near Speightstown - which I love too, but I like to look of the east coast except that there do not seem to be so many trees - so I would imagine windy all the time!
We'll see who wins!
Julie

Laura Keene Mar 7th 2015 3:47 pm

Could I have the details of the interior designer? I've just bought a house in Gibbs which needs furnishing completely for a rental market and I'm useless at that sort of thing!