Motor bike license

Old Nov 19th 2008, 8:35 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Motor bike license

Originally Posted by Foxy_fromCanada
Hi all,

Yes the visitor's permit is now $100 per year.

Interesting about the scooter - when we bought ours, we were told that over 100cc you needed motorcycle license, but under 100cc you didn't. No matter now, as we sold it.

Haha Zanne, you should frame your extra "L" stickers!
I have to apologize.. the yearly visitors license IS 100.00 per year.. but you can get a 2mth license, which most visitor don't even need that much, for 10.00bbd. Sorry for the confusion... As a local I recently paid 150.00bbd for a 3 year license.. or I could have paid 100.00 for a yearly license (not sure the since in only 50.00 difference, but don't get them to change it, please...
Old Nov 19th 2008, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road

Wow Sunnie, that doesn't make any sense at all! But ssshhhh we'll keep it secret
Old Nov 20th 2008, 12:11 am

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi wanted to ask Sunnie how do i go about getting a full licence if i shouldnt be on a visitors one ?

Im not sure how they would class me as i live both in the uk and here up and down every 2-3 months have businesses in both countries and liable for tax etc in both places.

Do i have to take another driving test here to get a full licence? Also i guess im insured because each year i go to the insurance company and produce the latest visitors permit they have never asked me for a full licence or even mentioned it was required

Serendipidy

Last edited by Serendipidy; Nov 20th 2008 at 12:15 am.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 1:21 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Serendipidy
Hi wanted to ask Sunnie how do i go about getting a full licence if i shouldnt be on a visitors one ?

Im not sure how they would class me as i live both in the uk and here up and down every 2-3 months have businesses in both countries and liable for tax etc in both places.

Do i have to take another driving test here to get a full licence? Also i guess im insured because each year i go to the insurance company and produce the latest visitors permit they have never asked me for a full licence or even mentioned it was required

Serendipidy
When I first moved here, all I had to do is produce my NC Drivers license and I was issued with a Barbados License.. No other test.. no written, no driving nothing. I think I had to show my citizenship papers but honestly can't remember. but if you have a business here, and you pay taxes here, you aren't really a visitor, so technically you should have a local license. if the insurance company here has insured you, i'm surprised they wouldn't require something that shows you live here, which would mean you would need a local license. (Most insurance companies wouldn't insure you if you don't live here, or they shouldn't unless they have some other type of policy).

Maybe I'm wrong.. but thats what I belive to be true.

Besides.. a 3 year local license is 150.00 . so that beats paying 100.00 per year anyday...
Old Nov 20th 2008, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

minisoufka is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone,

I'm fascinated by this thread about licences - they really do make it complicated over here!
Now my (another dumb?) question: does my hubby, who's got a full UK licence and works here on a 6month permit (which will then be extended as we're here till Dec 2009) need to get a Bajan 1year visitor's licence? I don't think anybody he knows has one - they all drive hired cars and use their UK licence.

Hmmmm.....

And if he does need a visitor's one - what if he is stopped by the police and hasn't got it but has the UK one? prison sentence? deportation?

Gosh, this is just too much for me...

And why is it raining again?

Last edited by minisoufka; Nov 20th 2008 at 9:43 am.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 9:47 am

I think if he is here on a work permit, driving with the paper license the car hire company would have given him is fine. he doesn't just drive on his UK license.. he has to have a visitors permit, which the rental company would have done and if he doesn't and the police stop him.. well that's between them and them and them..

listen guys. . I'm not the bottom line on this.. obviously the place to call or go to is the licensing authority.. i'm just stating things from what i've been told and have learned after being here for 16years.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

minisoufka is an unknown quantity at this point

In my naivety I googled 'barbados licensing authority' - just to see what they might be saying on our topic.

Silly me. How could I possibly think there will be anything on the web???:

http://www.gov.bb/portal/page/portal...sing_Authority

Old Nov 20th 2008, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road

To get a "full" license here you first need a National ID card, which you can't get until you have a work permit or citizenship.

Otherwise, as has been mentioned already, you get a paper one which is the visitor's driving permit.

The National ID card is an application form with a couple of passport photos and proof that you are not a visitor (work permit, citizenship).

HTH,
Foxy
Old Nov 20th 2008, 8:59 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks sunnie you are right its cheaper than me buying a yearly license but found out unless i have residency then visitor permit is fine. Seems they pick and choose what i am so not even sure i would be able to get one although i have an NI Card - i can go through the residency line at airport can have insurance can pay tax can buy land but have to pay for the priviledge every 3 years with a work permit.

I own the company but still have to apply for a work permit to work for it so officiallly i guess im still a visitor until the completion of 2 succesive work permits then i can apply for residency

By the way big thanks to you and zanne for your efforts in keeping us all informed

Serendipidy
Old Nov 20th 2008, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by Serendipidy
Thanks sunnie you are right its cheaper than me buying a yearly license but found out unless i have residency then visitor permit is fine. Seems they pick and choose what i am so not even sure i would be able to get one although i have an NI Card - i can go through the residency line at airport can have insurance can pay tax can buy land but have to pay for the priviledge every 3 years with a work permit.

I own the company but still have to apply for a work permit to work for it so officiallly i guess im still a visitor until the completion of 2 succesive work permits then i can apply for residency

By the way big thanks to you and zanne for your efforts in keeping us all informed

Serendipidy
I'm going to tell you as well.. even after that 2 successive work permit thing.. don't think the residency is automatic.. I've just found out that friends of mine who have been here for over 10 years.. he owns several small companies, have just been turned down for residency.. they are appealing the decision, but who knows what will happen if they don't actually get it.. This island is really going to heck in a hand basket..
Old Nov 20th 2008, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

I am totally uninformed!