British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Motor bike license (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/motor-bike-license-573313/)

asherman Nov 15th 2008 6:47 pm

Motor bike license

Dear all,

I have the standard one-year Bajan license for my car, and I’ve been thinking of buying a motor bike.

I understand from searching the threads here that under 100cc is considered a scooter (no special license required) but for over 100cc I’d need a motor bike license.

First, can anyone confirm if that’s true? (the Licensing Authority website is an empty shell). Second, if it is true, what do I have to do to get a motor bike license? Do I have to take a test?

Many thanks,
Adam

Sunniebgi Nov 15th 2008 8:29 pm

Re: Motor bike license

I wouldn't assume anything and I would suggest that you go to a Licensing Authority office. There is one in Oistins upstairs at the SuperCentre Plaza and one at Holetown, in a building beside the Holetown Police station. Or you could go to the main office on Pine East-West Road (which would not be my first choice).

zanne Nov 15th 2008 9:25 pm

Check with netskirk or foxyfromcanada on this one...either one will have some advice i'm sure.:thumbsup:

asherman Nov 17th 2008 3:45 pm

Many thanks to Sunniebgi and zanne for responses.

For anyone who is trawling this board for information on this issue, this is the information I got from the Licensing Authority and from a motorcycle/scooter rental firm on the island.

To ride any motorized two-wheel vehicle in Barbados, you need a motorcycle license. Amazingly, this applies even to 50 cc vehicles. To get the license, you have to take the motorcycle test.

I was told that, at best, I could take a test within three weeks of applying to take it.

In other words, if I have understood this correctly … I have a full US driver’s license and a full UK driving license and a Barbadian license that allows me to drive a very large car. But if I have friends staying with me in Barbados for a few days, and if I want to lend them my car and meanwhile rent a 50 cc scooter for my transport needs, I can’t do it without three weeks prior application and then taking a test, which I might fail.

This is not tourist-friendly, or even particularly sensible, but that’s how it is.

Thanks again to Sunniebgi and zanne.

zanne Nov 17th 2008 4:10 pm

I don't see too many scooters on the road, mostly postal workers and motorcycles. I do find it ironic, if that is the case, that my husband who has a heavy duty license and regular vehicle license is not qualified to drive a scooter!

P.S.You are right about the tourism issue, not only that but you would also have to pay a hefty fee for a visitors permit, I forget how much it is but now in the neighborhood of $100.00 dollars, whereas before it was $10 or 15.

Sunniebgi Nov 17th 2008 7:22 pm

there is/was a scooter rental place at the Bridgetown port.. not sure who runs it or how they get around that kind of 3 week wait for a license.

I'll ask a friend who works down there and see.

The fee for a visitor license is back 10.00 for a 2mth license (I believe that is correct). too many people, including the rental car people, complaining.

zanne Nov 17th 2008 7:25 pm

That's good news about the reduction, it was just foolish, especially with all of the one day cruise visitors, etc.

asherman Nov 17th 2008 8:02 pm

Dear all,

Thanks a million for your contributions. Thanks a billion for taking the time.

Thing is, I live here. Full resident and everything. I haven’t looked at my UK or US licenses for ages, but I seem to recall they entitle me to drive a tank, much less a moped.

You only get one try in the world, so I’m going to take the test and then buy a bike. No complaints from me.

zanne Nov 17th 2008 8:05 pm

Hey well we've got some of those magnetic'L' stickers if you need them! Just study the hand signals!!!! :thumbsup::rofl:

Sunniebgi Nov 17th 2008 9:11 pm

in the US, well at least in North Carolina, there are different licenses depending on what you drive. I think you have a special license for Motorcycle, but can drive something like a scooter with a regular car license. You also have to have a license for light goods truck etc. So trust me, to do that here, is probably a good thing. But I agree, if you drive a car, you should be able to drive a scooter.

minisoufka Nov 18th 2008 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by zanne (Post 6982194)
I don't see too many scooters on the road, mostly postal workers and motorcycles. I do find it ironic, if that is the case, that my husband who has a heavy duty license and regular vehicle license is not qualified to drive a scooter!

P.S.You are right about the tourism issue, not only that but you would also have to pay a hefty fee for a visitors permit, I forget how much it is but now in the neighborhood of $100.00 dollars, whereas before it was $10 or 15.

sorry if I sound dumb, but what is a visitor permit? do you need to pay if somebody's visiting you over here????

Serendipidy Nov 18th 2008 11:06 pm

mini the visitors permit is a licence to drive permit for visitors lol not a permit for people to be allowed to visit although shhhh you may have just given the government a new idea for more money from us lol.

Zanne did i read right that they have put the visitors permits up to $100??? I paid $10 last year and mine is due for renewal in Dec - if thats the case this new government really does want us gone lol - however with the pound losing its strength on the island i wonder if this will make brits more valuable or less valuable as an income commodity?

Serendipidy

zanne Nov 18th 2008 11:09 pm

No sunnie says that there were loads of complaints from industry and the lowered it back down to 20 or so. It was really quite ridiculous what they did across the board with licenses-- they hiked my profession from $250 to $2500/yr.

Sunniebgi Nov 19th 2008 1:16 am

Originally Posted by zanne (Post 6987225)
No sunnie says that there were loads of complaints from industry and the lowered it back down to 20 or so. It was really quite ridiculous what they did across the board with licenses-- they hiked my profession from $250 to $2500/yr.

OMG!!! as my 12 1/2 yr old would say.. good grief zanne.. that much of a hike?? I'd complain.. big time.

They raised the road tax .. as well as the temporary liquour license (from 50.00 to 100.00 per night, thats just in case you are planning on having an event and want to sell alcohol.. you have to have one of these) and of course we all have heard about the infamous land tax that has gone up astronomically...

Serendipidy.. if you are living here.. and have a visitors license.. I hate to tell you , but you really shouldn't have a visitors license.. because you live here. (geez, I sound like out to get people with all my spouting off about rules and regs on this forum).. anyway.. just don't get caught, meaning never have an accident.. or speed...(knock on wood).

Foxy_fromCanada Nov 19th 2008 8:04 pm

Hi all,

Yes the visitor's permit is now $100 per year.

Interesting about the scooter - when we bought ours, we were told that over 100cc you needed motorcycle license, but under 100cc you didn't. No matter now, as we sold it.

Haha Zanne, you should frame your extra "L" stickers!