British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Mosquito bites (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/mosquito-bites-724196/)

Michael Digby Jul 9th 2011 10:37 am

Mosquito bites

I know we all get bitten by these things but my husband seems to get eaten alive!!! When I get 2 or 3 bites .... he gets 40 or 50!!! Alarmingly they turn into huge blilsters and are really debilitating. I have Googled them and thught he may have 'Skeeters Syndrome' which appears to be an allergic reaction to the saliva in the bites, but now I am not so sure. Either way if anyone has any tips on how to treat bites I would be really interested to hear from you. We are moving to Barbados in 6 months to live in the open air and enjoy the sunshine so it will be awful if he has to keep covered up most of the time.

sandgirl Jul 10th 2011 11:35 pm

Re: Mosquito bites

Originally Posted by Michael Digby (Post 9484821)
I know we all get bitten by these things but my husband seems to get eaten alive!!! When I get 2 or 3 bites .... he gets 40 or 50!!! Alarmingly they turn into huge blilsters and are really debilitating. I have Googled them and thught he may have 'Skeeters Syndrome' which appears to be an allergic reaction to the saliva in the bites, but now I am not so sure. Either way if anyone has any tips on how to treat bites I would be really interested to hear from you. We are moving to Barbados in 6 months to live in the open air and enjoy the sunshine so it will be awful if he has to keep covered up most of the time.

Hello I got something I bought over from Europe 2 years agao and its also available now over amazon.com website
Its called Bite Away, it a small device that heats up for a few seconds and once put on the bite there is no swelling up - The bites stop itching nearly instantaneously. Use it on my children 2+5, as they got bitten a lot- they scratched - got infected- I absolutely love Bite Away, no idea what to do about not getting sting the first time, nothing seems to work -unless you covered in OFF spray 24h...

Sunniebgi Jul 11th 2011 3:41 am

this is common.. meaning one person is totally bitten while the other remains bite free. I have used something called Anthisan (not sure if the spelling is correct), but it's a topical cream that you put on right after you get a bite. Works for us. You can get at any drug store (in Barbados anyway). taking an antihistamine might also help, but it's also something that would have to build up in the blood stream, so it would mean taking it on a constant basis.

You may want to check with your doctor or pharmacist to see what they might recommend. It also maybe hit or miss.

My husbands Brother in Law, who lives in New Zealand was in Barbados last december. he brought with him what he said was a spray that had the highest deet content (according to his doctor) and it did nothing for him.. Bitten alive really. bites that turned into open sores. David Lewis, at Lewis Drug Mart in Barbados suggestion some things for him, pretty standard stuff.. and it seemed to help, but also being more near the sea and a constant breeze.. wearing long pants and long sleeve cotton shirts in the late afternoon, early evening helped as well.

good luck

pgtips Jul 11th 2011 9:48 am

Originally Posted by Michael Digby (Post 9484821)

In future make sure he sleeps under a net, and tuck the net into the sides of the bed so them pesky mosquioes cannot climb in. Most bites occur during the night. In the evening long pants and a cotton long loose shirt can help. Air conditioning also helps, them mozzies hate aircon. For instant relief keep some limes in the fridge and as soon as he gets bitten cut a piece of lime and hold the cold lime against the bite, works wonders.

Serendipidy Jul 11th 2011 10:20 am

I swear by Avon SSS must be the blue/white bottle though its an oil spray moisturiser with a pleasant smell - this lil gem of a secret was passed on to me about 10 years ago by someone in Grenada then I read a report in the guardian which said that it was fast growing as an anti mossie spray but was discovered as so purely by accident. I use this both as a moisturiser after shower and regularly through the day especially if im going out as the sun is coming down. I was unlucky enough to have Dengue twice but both times i had forgotten to spray and both times got bitten as sun went down and was at the beach/bar.

DPS03 Jul 12th 2011 12:55 pm

I mix citronella oil with moisturiser. The citronella is meant to keep the mosquitoes away and seems to work better then anything else I've tried!

Sunniebgi Jul 12th 2011 2:22 pm

I rely heavily on Skin So Soft.. the original Oil.. I put it into a spray bottle and put it on after I shower (while i'm still wet).. and then if I need to later I use it as well. Been using this for over 20 years..

I saw something at Big B today called After Bite.. I understand that's pretty good once you have them.

Serendipidy Jul 12th 2011 3:35 pm

yea sunnie thats the SSS I use as well - Skin So Soft - can you actually get it in Barbados then?

Sunniebgi Jul 13th 2011 1:21 am

Originally Posted by Serendipidy (Post 9490869)
yea sunnie thats the SSS I use as well - Skin So Soft - can you actually get it in Barbados then?

You can through the Avon people on the island. I've actually seen it on the shelf at Tri-Mart Haggat Hall but it's been a while. the large bottles are not cheap.. but it's worth it.

nilocp Aug 11th 2011 10:42 pm

I used to get bitten to hell. Not any more.

I put this down to drinking copious amounts of local water and developing an immunity.

This water comes in the form of Banks beer and Mountgay rum!!!

Hope this helps?:eek:

Trixie_b Aug 11th 2011 11:08 pm

I get something similar. about 24 hours after been bitten, the bite turns bright red, and gets a rice or pea sized lump. Very itchy for 3 or 4 days, and after about 2 days, I get a rash of blisters, the bites turn dark red and brused looking, but then stop itching.

Antihistamine doesn't really help much.

Some tricks for you. Take huge quantities of Vit B, if he's a marmite fan, then that's good.

Mossies can't fly away from a breeze, so point a couple of fans at you at night, a high strengh anti mozzie thing particularly at dusk and dawn.

In Barbados, my reaction got worse with sand flys.

I will say that you do build up a tollerance after a while in the same place, so after a few months, he'll find that his reaction isn't as bad.

(Oh forgot to say about the swelling that makes it hard to bend the joints and the tight skin)

Michael Digby Aug 16th 2011 11:25 am

Originally Posted by sandgirl (Post 9487278)
Hello I got something I bought over from Europe 2 years agao and its also available now over amazon.com website
Its called Bite Away, it a small device that heats up for a few seconds and once put on the bite there is no swelling up - The bites stop itching nearly instantaneously. Use it on my children 2+5, as they got bitten a lot- they scratched - got infected- I absolutely love Bite Away, no idea what to do about not getting sting the first time, nothing seems to work -unless you covered in OFF spray 24h...

Thanks so much for this -I Googled it and read the technical stuff from the manufacturer ....... am just about to order one. It is expensive - but a small price to pay if it helps!!! Thanks again -fingerscrossed: