British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Mold (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/mold-639142/)

bakergirl Nov 5th 2009 1:53 am

Mold

Hi, All - I haven't posted in a number of months as my family's intitial plan to arrive in August has slowed down a bit, but I've frequented this site many times looking for advice and encouragement as we contemplate this move. We now plan to arrive after the new year.

My question is about mold. With the heat and high humitidy, I'm imagining that mold is quite a problem in residences. The house that we believe we'll be living in has been vacant for quite a while, which increases my concern.

Can anyone tell me if mold is a typical problem in Barbados? I'm moving with 2 young children and am worried about exposing them to too much of it.

Many thanks -

Foxy_fromCanada Nov 5th 2009 10:46 am

Re: Mold

Hi Bakergirl,

Funny, I don't know that mold is a big problem here - although you'd think so, with the humidity. I have heard of one or two houses having it, but they were also not clean. Seems to me that if you follow the obvious precautions you should be okay.

Foxy

Ikon Nov 5th 2009 10:51 am

I agree with Foxy, haven't experienced it here.

Tbh, the furniture available here is probably quite well-designed to avoid it. Lots of cane and hard woods etc.

Foxy_fromCanada Nov 5th 2009 10:52 am

Good point, Ikon, about the hardwoods.

zanne Nov 5th 2009 11:27 am

Bakergirl, I can speak on the mold topic-- my son and I moved in July to a new house because, among other reasons, mold was making us very sick. Our old house was in a great location, great price, unbelievable view.

Basically what was happening was that due to the age of the house water was making it's way in through the window sills and other entry points down through the concrete blocks and coming out at the baseboards. All along the baseboards were black blotches of mold. This was also causing paint to peel in these areas. I noticed that the east or weather side of our house was particularly bad because that was the side that was getting pounded by rain. There were also areas where patches of spores like things were turning up on interior walls. It was really bad.

Foxy is right about the level of cleanliness, but my feeling on mold as a result of water damage is that there is no way that you can get rid of it once it has taken hold. Especially here in Barbados with constant heat and humidity.

I can tell you now that we live in a new (3 year old house) the sinus problems that I was experiencing are entirely gone. If the house is old and mold is apparent it is also likely a sign of a landlord that hasn't done much upkeep over the years. Our house was nearing 50 years old and also had major electrical problems, window problems, and a bat colony living in the attic. I have a feeling that the bats were also contributing to my health issues.

I hope this helps you. I lived with the mold for two years and I just started to accept the constant sinus problems, but now it is clear that that was the cause. I would look super carefully at the situation before moving in.