British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Migrating to Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/migrating-barbados-628186/)

cassward Aug 29th 2009 5:38 pm

Migrating to Barbados

Hello all,

Well after much to-ing and fro-ing mentally that is over the past few months, I have finally decided to take the plunge and move to Barbados. I have provisionally booked flights for myself and three children for early December.

Now here lies my dilemma. My children's father is only now applying for his citizenship by descent (both his parents are bajan born) and his other siblings have their citizenship already but he never got his as he never wanted to live in Barbados. With that in mind, will I be able to still come over to Barbados in December so that our three children can start school at least by January/February?

He will not be coming with us it's only me and the children. I am a Trinidad citizen and will by December have attained a Bachelors degree in Special Needs and Inclusive Education so hopefully I will be entitled to indefinte leave to remain under the Caricom agreement for skilled workers. Is this correct?

My other question, please forgive my lengthy post, is whether I have to wait until I arrive to apply for student visas for my children or can that be sorted out from over here in London. My children are 5 years, 11 years and 13 years of age so two secondary and one primary.

Also, would I have to wait for his citizenship to come through first before we fly out or can we come over and finish the process while in Barbados, then apply for the children's citizenship while in Barbados once his is done?

Oh so many questions my mind is boggling but I am so happy at the prospect of leaving England that I am smiling through all my confusion and anxiety.

birthdaygirl Aug 29th 2009 6:21 pm

Re: Migrating to Barbados

Just to answer a few of your question, I am moving from England to Barbados on Monday and have gone through some of the issues you have queries on. My father is bajan and so is my husband however, I applied for citizenship by descent which was a much quicker process than through marriage, by descent taking approximately 9 months through marriage 3 years and up. In terms of secondary schools your children would need to take a test in Barbados to determine which government school they would be allocated, this is not the case if you are looking at private schools. However, your children will need a student visa for both. It would be very difficult to complete the student visa process without having someone in Barbados, as the Ministry of Education has complete part of the form and then it has to be taken to the immigration department with all the relevant documentations e.g birth certificate, parents resident status, passport, you maybe best served to call immigration regarding your situation. One of my son's, I have applied for citizenship by registration, although I have citizenship by descent, it only passes down one generation and cannnot be passed to my son.

I do hope some of this helps.

sapphirerose127 Sep 24th 2009 11:37 am

Originally Posted by birthdaygirl (Post 7887068)
Just to answer a few of your question, I am moving from England to Barbados on Monday and have gone through some of the issues you have queries on. My father is bajan and so is my husband however, I applied for citizenship by descent which was a much quicker process than through marriage, by descent taking approximately 9 months through marriage 3 years and up. In terms of secondary schools your children would need to take a test in Barbados to determine which government school they would be allocated, this is not the case if you are looking at private schools. However, your children will need a student visa for both. It would be very difficult to complete the student visa process without having someone in Barbados, as the Ministry of Education has complete part of the form and then it has to be taken to the immigration department with all the relevant documentations e.g birth certificate, parents resident status, passport, you maybe best served to call immigration regarding your situation. One of my son's, I have applied for citizenship by registration, although I have citizenship by descent, it only passes down one generation and cannnot be passed to my son.

Hello Birthday Girl,

I am new to this site, but your answer to cassward has helped to explain a few questions that I had.
However I was wondering if you knew whether the test for children entering the school system in Barbados would apply to my daughter, as she will be six years old in 2011 when we plan to make the move from the UK to Barbados. Also how far in advanced in time do the tests have to be taken for the determination to be made and is the location of where you live taken into account?

Sunniebgi Sep 24th 2009 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by sapphirerose127 (Post 7960699)
Hello Birthday Girl,

I am new to this site, but your answer to cassward has helped to explain a few questions that I had.
However I was wondering if you knew whether the test for children entering the school system in Barbados would apply to my daughter, as she will be six years old in 2011 when we plan to make the move from the UK to Barbados. Also how far in advanced in time do the tests have to be taken for the determination to be made and is the location of where you live taken into account?

The test only applies to those at age 11 (11plus exam) and moving from primary education to secondary. it has to be done for government or private secondary for school placement. it would not apply to your 6 year old, however, you may want to go ahead and look at various schools to determaine where you may want to send her. Placement will depend on availability of space at the school where you want her to go.

sapphirerose127 Sep 28th 2009 10:37 am

Originally Posted by Sunniebgi (Post 7962290)
The test only applies to those at age 11 (11plus exam) and moving from primary education to secondary. it has to be done for government or private secondary for school placement. it would not apply to your 6 year old, however, you may want to go ahead and look at various schools to determaine where you may want to send her. Placement will depend on availability of space at the school where you want her to go.

Many Thanks for this information Sunniebgi.

karibspices Sep 29th 2009 1:55 pm

This really is news to me. Glad to know. Even reading the law it appeared unclear to me how many times it could be handed down.

tfinteriors Nov 30th 2009 3:48 am

I don't mean to confuse the situation, however my husband has his citizenship by descent and our son who was not born in Barbados also got his too (around 3 years ago). You may want to check with immigration and make sure that you get the persons name and contact info to confirm as birthdaygirl is saying that her's could not be passed down. There are a lot of changes happening in the immigration department and what may be in effect today, may not even be the same on your arrival. You will need to sort out student visas quickly and be prepared to pay non-national fees until your papers are finalized both at the government and private schools (which are much higher unfortunately on the later).
Also do you have your schools confirmed? Many of them will need the visa for acceptance. Check with your school as needed and if they are ok with just the visa application submitted and when they need to papers by. One year we waited over 6 months and he was nearly finished school before the visa came in. Thankfully the school was very accommodating, but best to check first or you may be flying in just for the holidays.