Migrating to Barbados

Old Aug 6th 2008, 11:06 pm
Just Joined

cassward is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Migrating to Barbados

Hello, I love this forum and always value the opinions of users, so I am now seeking some advice from those in the know. My family and I have the opportunity to relocate to Barbados. My eldest is 11, middle is 10 and youngest is 3. In terms of education and discipline I am struggling to find good reasons to stay in the UK especially with my oldest due to start secondary in September 2008. Is a move of this magnitude wise in the financial climate as it is at the moment and is the education system alot better in Barbados which would then override any hesitation I may have in moving? Any advice well appreciated.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 11:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

shines will become famous soon enoughshines will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Migrating to Barbados

Hi there,

If you are worried re the education system in UK and the total lack of respect and discipline then I would definitely say move here.

Can you/your partener work here?

S
Old Aug 7th 2008, 12:27 am
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

If you and/or your partner can work here the sacrifices are worth the gains IMO. My son's schooling will be far better than we could have ever afforded in the US.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 8:52 am
Just Joined

thanks for the advice, I think I know in my heart that it is the right move for myself and the children but sometimes you need to hear it from someone else who has done it to know that it can work. I guess my main worry is hearing of how expensive it is to live in Bim but where there is a will there is a way. I will have finished a degree in Special Educational Needs by the time we come over next year and I am a citizen of Trinidad while my other half is Bajan so hopefully under the Caricom rules, immigration should not be too much of a problem - is this right?

Sorry for the long post but can anyone advise me of some good government secondary schools for my 2 boys one will be entering Form 2 when we come over and the other one will have to sit the common entrance exam as he will be entering Form 1. I have heard that Ch Ch Foundation or Princess Margaret are good but are there anymore that I can look into to. Also are there good primary schools my daughter will be 5 when we arrive. We will hopefully be staying in either St Michaels or St Philips.

With my degree is it possible to gain employment in the Special Educational Needs industry?
Old Aug 8th 2008, 10:15 pm
Just Joined

any advice I appreciate all points of view etc, things are just getting so out of hand here in London it's almost every day on the news that some teenager is either shot or stabbed I do worry about our children's future and I've heard that Barbados is so wonderful in terms of schooling, discipline etc