British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Meeting People (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/meeting-people-629499/)

sunriseinsummer Sep 7th 2009 4:55 am

Meeting People

Hi everyone,
Need your help please. I moved to Barbados to live in April this year and am finding it difficult to meet expats. Are there any clubs I could join or any specific places I should go. I am presently living in Rendezvous in Christ Church.

Sunniebgi Sep 7th 2009 9:06 am

Re: Meeting People

The answer to this may require you to answer some questions first.

There are many Ex-Pat Women's Groups on the island (but obviously you need to be female).

There are some businessmens groups as well.

Age may play a factor.. Young and sporty, you may want to look at some of the sports clubs... Rugby, Cricket, etc

older and not so sporty - there is a bridge league, among other things.

Check with the High Commission to see if they have a list of community based groups that you might be interested in.

(Sorry I haven't gone back to read some of your posts to get a better idea of who you are or where you come from.. sooo.. i'm answering in general)

Foxy_fromCanada Sep 7th 2009 11:27 am

Let me know if you're interested in any of the following activities and I can recommend some people & places for you.
  • Cycling - mountain or road
  • Swimming
  • Yoga
  • Scuba Diving
  • Karate
  • Triathlon
  • Surfing
  • Hiking

You can probably tell from this list that I'm of the active crowd, so my list is skewed that way.

The Venezuelan Embassy is near you (west of Quayside, by Ackee Tree) and they do free Spanish Classes. I have been meaning to join one for a year now, but never really got around to it...

Good luck! Meeting friends is definitely important.
Foxy

Serendipidy Sep 7th 2009 7:18 pm

Hi Sunrise

Im in Rendezvous too IM me and let me know a bit more bout you ie age likes dislikes etc and where in Rendezvous you are - im away at moment but planning to get back soon

Maybe i can suggest some things or we can link and do the beach and stuff

sunriseinsummer Sep 7th 2009 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by sunriseinsummer (Post 7910180)
Hi everyone,
Need your help please. I moved to Barbados to live in April this year and am finding it difficult to meet expats. Are there any clubs I could join or any specific places I should go. I am presently living in Rendezvous in Christ Church.

Thank you all for your replies. My name is Janet (female) and I have linked with you all earlier this year when I was asking for help regarding shipping my things down from the UK. I would be interested in Yoga (feeling very unfit at present) and swimming (not at the Gym). Does anyone walk the Boardwalk at any time as I would like to do some walking but not on my own???

bajanla Sep 8th 2009 6:32 pm

You could contact the British Womens Club, they meet on the first Tuesday of every month at the Garrisson. Can't find a handy contact right now but maybe someone else has a telephone number or e-mail?

Sunniebgi Sep 9th 2009 8:02 am

Contact Ros Griffiths in the Community Liaison Office at the British High Commission and she should be able to get you in touch with the Women's Group.

There are several Yoga places.. Louise Woodvine Dance academy has or had a Yoga evening class, call the number found in the phone book after about 3pm and see if there is one still there. Also, there is a fitness studio in the Rockley are that I think does Yoga. Sharon McCall, I believe, owns the place.. The Body Studio (I hope that's the right one). That's just down the hill from you.

if you are talking about swimming laps, the Aquatic Centre is about the only place.. they do have an adult lap swim lane set up most days. (not my favorite but...).

Foxy_fromCanada Sep 9th 2009 11:21 am

Re: Swimming

If you don't want to swim laps in a pool, there is a group of people who gather at the yacht club every Saturday morning at 8am and swim the length of Carlisle Bay. Some of them swim both ways, some swim one way and walk back, and others bring a snorkel & mask and just have fun.

There are all levels of swimmers there. Some wear fins, too. It really doesn't matter to anyone what you do, which is nice. I've been away from that group for a while now, but I think I'll join them again in the future (after the shoulder isn't giving me trouble anymore - swimming is exactly the wrong motion for it, unfortunately).

No matter what you decide to do, if you use your outgoing side (or find it, if you're unaccustomed to using it!), you can meet people :)

Best of luck. Let us know if you discover another activity! I'm always interested in new things.

Foxy

bajanla Sep 9th 2009 2:29 pm

Thanks sunniebgi for providing those contact details for the BWC.

I believe they have details on yoga and pilates classes to be held on the south coast (Savannah Hotel I think) so def worth calling Ros.

chichita007 Jul 14th 2010 11:19 pm

Hi. Picking up an old thread, but does anyone have any information on yoga classes on west coast, preferably in or near Holetown?