Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Medical Requirements for work permit

Medical Requirements for work permit

Old Sep 15th 2011, 3:26 pm
Just Joined

andrewstone is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Medical Requirements for work permit

Hi,

new user to the site and wondering if anyone could help.

I've secured a move about to Barbados for a couple of years with my current employer and I am just working my way through the work permit application form.

One of the forms is for a medical and the guidance notes are very basic. My Doctor is being pretty pathetic insisting he does every test on the back of the form (Including all bodily functions, VD test, HIV test, Chest XRay). Given Im a pretty healthy 30 year old I think this is a bit OTT to say the least, and I worry that it will take months to get sorted.

My employer are just saying get the doctor to write no symptoms presented on the back of the form, however I was wondering if anyone else has been through the process and could help?

thanks in advance
Old Sep 15th 2011, 4:49 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical Requirements for work permit

Hiya ..not sure if the forms have changed since my day but all I had done was the chest xray and some other blood test (think that was for Syphillis)... I was told the chest xray is to make sure no TB ... I think its cos these diseases are the fastest growing.. I dont remember anything about HIV although it would so make sense. Is ya doc in Barbados or UK cos a doc in Barbados should understand what are the essential criteria as they do it all the time whereas one in UK will play it by the book

Last edited by Serendipidy; Sep 15th 2011 at 4:52 pm.
Old Sep 16th 2011, 8:17 am
Just Joined

Unfortunately my Doctor is in the UK as I am still currently living here whilst I sort out the work permit.....

I spoke with the Barbados office again last night and it looks like I will have to have the full suite of tests - which I am concerned will add further weeks to the process.

On another note - can anyone shed any light on how long the work permit process might take once all the paperwork and supporting letters from the Barbados office might take?

I am trying to co-ordinate the sale of my flat in the UK, my wife's resignation as a school teacher, and a few other things - not easy to judge whether i will be homeless for a few months yet!

tks
Old Sep 16th 2011, 8:40 am

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

I think the best person to ask that question of would be your employer as they will have there finger on the pulse of how long its taking now for them as a company ... any other feedback would be subjective to that individuals case and if it was a while ago may have no bearing on your timescales.
Old Sep 21st 2011, 4:05 pm
Just Joined

DPS03 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had to go through the same procedure. I got my chest xray done privately and had to do the blood tests as well. Immigration wanted the report stating the blood tests were normal as well as the form completed by my GP. It may seem like a lot of fuss but in my experience immigration can not be moved. Incidentally I was also asked for a 'Scotland Yard Disclosure form' which does not exist, they did howeever accept a letter from the police stating I had no criminal conduct to my name etc.

With regards to time frame mine took 18 months in total although I was here working for 6 of those with permission from the government.

Only arrived myself in January so have gone through the whole process recently. If you are after any more advice feel free to message me.

DPS
Old Sep 21st 2011, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

CarlHnz is an unknown quantity at this point

I had my work permit application sent back to me last year because my UK doctor said the syphilis test was not applicable, as I was in a low risk group.

I ended up going to a doctor here to get the test done.

My advice would be to get the medical done here as the doctors here are used to filling them in.
Old Sep 24th 2011, 5:12 pm
Just Joined

Pacentro is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Medical Requirements for work permit

Hi

We are going through the same thing. However our doctor referred us for the Chest X-Ray & he had the bloods done, all results were back within 4 days! Quite funny explaining why you need a VD blood done! For the police clearance we used: www.personnelchecks.co.uk, cost is around £45 and will take 3 weeks.

Best of luck!
Old Oct 18th 2011, 1:45 pm
Just Joined

thanks for all the repsones to my initial query - really appreciated.

Have now had all the tests done and understand my employer has now submitted all the forms along with their supporting documentation.

Final question on immigration topics I promise. I understand my wife's residency visa is linked to my work permit application but a little concerned I don't seem to have filled a form in for my wife?

Does she receive a visa linked to mine or do I need to do some extra forms once my permit has been issued, and if this is the case do we need to do them before we move (therefore creating a further delay)?
Old Oct 18th 2011, 5:16 pm

Cant answer your question for you Andrew as dont have a wife but would like to say dont limit yourself to final questions helping and giving advice is why the forum is here.. sometimes you will be directed at other posts because the information has already been posted but please dont feel that you are imposing by asking for information.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

CarlHnz is an unknown quantity at this point

I've just been through this process myself. After your work permit is granted, you then need to apply for an extension for your wife. She will then be given an extension that finishes the same time as yours.

While your application is being processed, you will both have to apply for extensions to the visa you were granted when you first arrived at BGI. The length of this extension is (it appears) utterly random.

Of course this sounds rather easy, but in reality, it will involve lots of trips to immigration and an enormous amount of frustration.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 6:26 pm
Just Joined

Hi

Just wanted to provide a quick update in case anyone else was following this thread.

My employer has just confirmed that my work permit was issued yesterday!!

From the submission of the first set of forms (I had to re-submit a set of blood tests) the process took just under 6 weeks.

Andy