medical insurance

Old Jul 13th 2007, 11:30 pm
Just Joined

keelyjane is an unknown quantity at this point
Default medical insurance

hi all,

hope everyone is well...was wondering whether anyone could recommend a good insurance company who will cover me for a long stay medical cover for barbados, i live in the uk and i am coming over in sept for 6 months possibly longer if i can.

thanks guys and girls i appreciate any help you can offer me.
Old Jul 21st 2007, 1:07 pm
Just Joined

amber221 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: medical insurance

Hi there

I've just been reading some of the question in the forum and like you i am going to Barbados in September for a while. I've been looking in to the travel and medical insurance and i think if you take out a really good travel insurance that should be enough, but read the small print to make sure it does cover you well and up to 2 million in medical. It also seems cheaper to take out an annual cover than a single trip cover for 6 months.

Have you had any luck on finding somewhere to stay? Have you booked your flight yet, if you have have you got an open ended flight ticket or have you got a return date.

Im really looking forward to going out there but im feeling quite nervous at the same time. Its taken me ages to decide to do this but whatever the out come it be a good experience. How do you feel about it all and do you know the country well.
Old Jul 21st 2007, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

Amber-- how does having an open ended ticket affect the price? I am coming in October--and by February or so I should be a citizen. Is the open ended ticket refundable?
Old Jul 21st 2007, 2:58 pm
Just Joined

hi

Im pretty sure the ticket is not refundable, one way tickets are also more expensive than a normal two way ticket which does'nt make any sense to me. Im still looking at all angles so if i find out any useful info i'll be in touch.
Old Jul 21st 2007, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

well folks i am actually a travel agent , so i can advise you on your flights etc, i have booked mine already for september BA had some good deals on. you have to have a return ticket booked or you wont get through immigration. you can stay a maximum of 6 months on a brit passport, you need to make sure the ticket is changeable or you'll get stuck buying a one way home again and they are pricey!!!! my advice would be book your tickets for say a return after 3 months fo example and before the return date call the airline/ agent and they will change it for you for a fee. make sure there is a maximum validity of a year on the ticket so if you want to stay longer you can.

The way i am doing it is staying in a hotel for a week and then as soon as i get there arrange some viewings of a few apartments and then rent on a monthly basis. i ahve a lot of friends over there and so i should find it easy to settle in. i am stilol looking for a job but luckily enough i have a many contacts in the travel industry who are trying to sort me out with something.

When are you going? i cant wait im soooo excited. gonna try and live the dream...so fed up over here the beautiful island is calling me back again. I have been here about 9 times now so know it very well.

Where are you going to stay?

keely
xx
Old Jul 21st 2007, 7:08 pm
Just Joined

hey, im staying with my friends parents to start of with but we will sort something out once im there. I was thinking that i would need a return date to get passed immigration. Im going mid September and will get a return date for in December. I'll be around the St micheal's area. I like Hasting so would like to look around that area for appartments.

Im going to be looking for a job as soon as i get there and hopefully someone will give me a chance and then i can sort out work permit. I know you can't just get a permit you have to have an employer. Some people say its really hard to get work but my friends in barbados tell me that it shouldn't be a problem. Im gonna go to the hotel hair salons (im a hairdresser) to start with. So if anyone needs a cut or colour from September im your girl.

I can't wait to get away from this weather. Its been such a bad summer, im looking forward to feeling the sun. I shouldn't moan coz i only came back in June but i feel more than ready to go back.
Old Jul 21st 2007, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

Rumswizz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by amber221
hey, im staying with my friends parents to start of with but we will sort something out once im there. I was thinking that i would need a return date to get passed immigration. Im going mid September and will get a return date for in December. I'll be around the St micheal's area. I like Hasting so would like to look around that area for appartments.

Im going to be looking for a job as soon as i get there and hopefully someone will give me a chance and then i can sort out work permit. I know you can't just get a permit you have to have an employer. Some people say its really hard to get work but my friends in barbados tell me that it shouldn't be a problem. Im gonna go to the hotel hair salons (im a hairdresser) to start with. So if anyone needs a cut or colour from September im your girl.

I can't wait to get away from this weather. Its been such a bad summer, im looking forward to feeling the sun. I shouldn't moan coz i only came back in June but i feel more than ready to go back.
Keep us posted - will need to find a great stylist/colour/cut person when I get there. How long have you been in the business and where? I wish you luck.
Old Jul 21st 2007, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

I've been hairdressing for 9 years, was working in west london but i've had my own business for nearly 5 years now. When are you going out
Old Jul 25th 2007, 12:04 pm
Just Joined

sounds like you are doing a similar thing to me, i will be arriving on 3rd sept and cant wait, i am trying to set up a few interviews at the moment and hopefully someone will give me a chance to work, then i just need to sort out the permit...easier said than done by the sounds of it.
i ahve booked my medical insurance and travel insurance cover, did it through travelsupermarket.com for a long stay cover. was cheap only £109.for 6 months. have you booked your flight yet amber, keep in touch and let me know when your arriving and we should hook up, or maybe ill just hunt you down for a cut and blow dry. lol
keely
Old Jul 25th 2007, 9:53 pm
Just Joined

hey keely

That was a good price for insurance, better than wot i found. I getting excited now, i can't wait. Yeah it be really good to meet up, we could go for a drink or go chill on the beach. When i get out there i'll be getting a barbados mobile but i will have my english phone on me, so maybe we could exchange numbers before you go on the 3rd.

amber
Old Jul 25th 2007, 10:46 pm
Just Joined

yeah definately, sounds good. i will be doing the same getting a bajan mobile, so much cheaper that way...flipping orange will cost me a fortune otherwise.
are you staying with family out there? are you gonna be on the south coast?
im well excited...have got so much to organise still but its all worth it.
when do you fly?

keely
Old Jul 26th 2007, 11:17 am
Just Joined

I've booked my flight for the 20th sep. Its started to feel real now. I know what you mean there is lots to sort out be for jetting off. I will be staying on South coast. Im gonna try and work on the West coast coz i think i'll have more chance. I think im staying with my friends parents, to be honest not a 100%sure. Need to have a chat with them about the situation. I don't care now, i've made up my mind to do this so im going. So if you see some homeless girl walkin round Bridgetown it could be me...lol
Old Jul 26th 2007, 5:51 pm
Just Joined

lol well im sure it will all go just fine for you...its all about trying to live the dream and i cant think of anywhere else in the world i would rather do it.

stay in touch

keely
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 11:37 am
Just Joined

hi hope all is good with you i sent u a private message with some of my details incase you wanted to get in touch. I've been told that work permits can take 6 to 8 weeks once your got an employer and job sorted out but do you know if you can work while the permit is being processed

amber
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

Rumswizz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by amber221
I've been hairdressing for 9 years, was working in west london but i've had my own business for nearly 5 years now. When are you going out
Sorry - didn't reply...but am here now. I see that "internationally trained" stylist's etc are in great demand here from what I have been told. Good luck and keep us all posted once you get here.

Cheers
RS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.