medical care in barbados

Old Jun 21st 2007, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

keelyjane is an unknown quantity at this point
Default medical care in barbados

For someone who is staying in BGI for 6 months......

does anyone know how much medical and dental care etc cost?

for example is there a national health system?

as an expat where would you stand if you need medical treament?

Is it advisable to just take out a separate long stay travel insurance for these reasons?

What are dentists and doctors like over there, (is it on a pay as you go basis)?

thanks

keely
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 6:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

trutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud of
Default Re: medical care in barbados

Originally Posted by keelyjane
For someone who is staying in BGI for 6 months......

does anyone know how much medical and dental care etc cost?

for example is there a national health system?

as an expat where would you stand if you need medical treament?

Is it advisable to just take out a separate long stay travel insurance for these reasons?

What are dentists and doctors like over there, (is it on a pay as you go basis)?

thanks

keely
A visit to a doctor cost around 50 dollar. Once I had my wisdom tooth pulled wich cost me 200 dollar.

If you need to see a doctor you could go all over the Island unless you pay and go. There's quite a good English doctor in Holetown but you have to speak up a bit because he's quite deaf

The dentist I have been to was in Black Rock and he was from Norway

The only local doctor I have been to was in Fitts Village, by Jordan's supermarket, while I was sitting at his desk he got his lunch (chicken and rice) served by his assistent and we had our chat while he was eating

But like I keep saying: It all has it's charme
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 10:47 pm
Just Joined

keelyjane is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: medical care in barbados

that made me laugh...eating his lunch whilst with a patient...definately sounds like the bajan way. thanks for the advcie