May be moving to Barbados

Old Sep 19th 2009, 2:30 pm
TSH
Just Joined

TSH is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile May be moving to Barbados

Hi everyone, I have read some of the previous posts, but also have some questions. My husbands company may be transferring us to Barbados for a few years, this would now be my 6 move, the moving doesn't bother me, but we have always been based in the Middle East, so this move will be completely out of my comfort zone. I have 2 girls 6 and 8 and they are at the British Int school, so what would be the recommended school there, considering I need to try and keep things constant for them. I have read about Codrington school, but there are no contact details for them, would anyone be able to help. I am very excited about our prospective move and meeting and making new friends. Thanks for any help
Old Sep 19th 2009, 5:22 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: May be moving to Barbados

it appears that the website for Codrington isn't working. not sure why.. try this website for details. http://www.gsgi.co.uk/countries/barb...rington-school. This school works through the International Baccalaureate system of education.

The Government schools in Barbados run off the British system of education, with an 11plus to move from Primary to Secondary education and with CXC's (formally O'Levels) and CAPE (A'LEvels). There are several private schools as well that follow the govt system of educations (which Codrington does not). There are several thread on this site which give pro's and con's of many of the schools on the island (mostly private).
Old Sep 19th 2009, 7:27 pm
TSH
Just Joined

TSH is an unknown quantity at this point

Sunnibgi, thank you so much for the info. Is there any gov school you would highly recommend? I myself, am from South Africa so don't even know the British system that well. My husbands job requires us to move alot, so I do try and keep the kids I'm the same system. If the gov schools are the British system, would I be better off sending them there, so when we move again they will not have fallen behind. Would appreciate any advise.
Old Sep 20th 2009, 12:30 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

ok.. well when I say the british system, what I mean is they follow the Primary to Secondary system.. with an 11plus exam that seperates the two. 7 years of primary and 5 years to CXC then 2 years of for CAPE. Most CAPE Students will get at least 1 full year of credits for university, depending on the results.

As far as what they are taught, much is geared to the Caribbean, but for example, the english will have all British spellings. maths will use Metric etc.

There is a ministry of education website, http://www.mes.gov.bb/index.cfm, have a look through this to see if it makes sense to you.

all govt and private schools follow this curriculum except for Codrington. Have a read through this and we will go from there.