Marrying a Bajan

Old Mar 19th 2008, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

afish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Marrying a Bajan

Hi there

My partner and I are getting married in July but cannot decide between Barbados or the UK. He is Bajan, I am English.

I understand all the paperwork we need to get together to marry in England but does anyone know what we need to do for Barbados? Do I need a special visa or do we need to write to the government etc?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Old Mar 19th 2008, 9:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

shines will become famous soon enoughshines will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Marrying a Bajan

OK, found this for you...

Barbados Marriage Requirements
It is very easy to get married in Barbados as there is no required waiting period or minimum length of stay. Application for a marriage licence must be made by both parties in person at the office of the Ministry of Home Affairs in the capital city Bridgetown. You will require:

Valid passports or birth certificates.
Return tickets.
If either party was divorced, an original Decree Absolute or a certified copy of the Final Judgment.
If either party was previously married and widowed, a certified copy of the Marriage Certificate and Death Certificate in respect of the deceased spouse.
For a Roman Catholic ceremony, the relevant documents must be sent by your bishop to the bishop of Bridgetown.
Where necessary, all documents not in English must be accompanied by a certified translation.
You may contact the Ministry of Home Affairs at tel: 246-228-8950, fax: 246-437-3794

Congratulations!

S
Old Mar 20th 2008, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

Thanks so much for this. Have found out that a marriage in Barbados isn't valid in the UK though - has anyone got around this?
Old Mar 20th 2008, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

I don't believe that can be true for a second, lots of people from the UK come here specifically to get married. Where did you hear this?

Sue
Old Mar 20th 2008, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

The general registry office website says that you can only register a wedding that takes place abroad for a list of approved countries. Barbados doesn't appear to be on that list.

I also thought it was strange, given how many English people marry in resorts on the island!
Old Mar 20th 2008, 12:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

I see lots of profiles of UK couples marrying here in Friends Magazine-- that can't possibly be true!!!
Old Mar 20th 2008, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

I had a look at the site and it is basically saying you can't register the marriage in the register in the UK, it does not mean it is not legal.

I was married in Zambia, did not even think about registrering it in the UK, when we divorced we still divorced as normal through the British courts.

HTH

S
Old Mar 20th 2008, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 6:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by afish
Thanks, that makes a lot of sense.
Wow, thanks, a first for me...!

S
Old Mar 20th 2008, 9:24 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

couldn't imagine what that would do to the Marriage Business in Barbados if that was true...